Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Thanks, though to be honest, I have no idea what they are. Research time.
It's not very complicated.
On all chemical engines, there are turbopumps to suck fuel and oxydizer from the tank to send them to the combustion chamber. But those turbopumps require a LOT of power to work. So the solution to provide such power is to use a fraction of the propellants for this.

For this purpose, there's a pre-burner that consumes a part of the propellants, and its exhaust is used to power the turbopumps. Now, what does this exhaust become?

• On an open cycle engine, this exhaust is evacuated through a pipe. Note that this doesn't significantly contribute to thrust, as the gases have to pass through the nozzle to be accelerated. Open cycle engines are easier to design, but less efficient because a part of the combustion energy is lost that way.
  • On a closed cycle engine, this exhaust is redirected to the combustion chamber, so it will pass through the nozzle and generate more thrust. Those engines have a higher Isp, but they also are way more complex and expensive to design.
The full flow engine is simply a variant of the closed cycle design.

T

The Dark in the Light

I have my next project: IJN I-19. I'll be going off this stuff for the most part, as well as Wikipedia and this blueprints site I cannot recall right now:
1591260156496.png
1591260166127.png
1591260176298.png
1591260190071.png
1591260220942.png

Beauty of a submarine. Sunk USS Wasp and USS O'Brien, and damaged USS North Carolina. My favorite submarine. Not much on Wikipedia, but her service history is very interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Dark in the Light

Haaa...
You have been caught in first post.
Using Stretched engines is cheating. :p:cool:
I only did it once, and I didn't know the stuff I know now. I never have stretched engines after that, not even for hobbie builds.

Jez 10

Local Expert Pinoy
ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
I have my next project: IJN I-19. I'll be going off this stuff for the most part, as well as Wikipedia and this blueprints site I cannot recall right now:
View attachment 38619 View attachment 38620 View attachment 38621 View attachment 38622 View attachment 38623
Beauty of a submarine. Sunk USS Wasp and USS O'Brien, and damaged USS North Carolina. My favorite submarine. Not much on Wikipedia, but her service history is very interesting.
I-19 - chan!

T

The Dark in the Light

I only did it once, and I didn't know the stuff I know now. I never have stretched engines after that, not even for hobbie builds.
And I don't even use that rocket anymore. I have a more efficient one, which can go farther and looks better, with no stretched engines.