My Missions to the Outer Planets

Where should I go next?

• Total voters
T

The Dark in the Light

For the pole, you get two votes.
Shit, this has been my most daring mission yet. Earlier today, I was just drawing some probe concepts and one of the ones was a Neptune probe and maybe an hour ago, I decided what the hell, I'm going to Neptune so I designed a rocket using my Cherry Blossom booster and sent that sucker up. After lots of waiting I made it to Neptune and sorta just decided what to do from there. I did a flyby of two of the inner moons (though I'm sure theres more in the other ACSS packages I didn't install) and debated whether or not I should just drop the probe into Neptune's atmosphere. I decided against it and decided that I'll bring the damn thing home and recover it. I had practically no idea on how I was gonna get home, mainly my inability to get a half decent orbit so that the launch windows line up. Here are some pictures of it. To me, this is a huge accomplishment.
Screenshot_20200201-012226_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Screenshot_20200201-012421_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Screenshot_20200201-012442_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

I was just timewarping when this happened... I though the probe was screwed...
Screenshot_20200201-012654_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Time to head home...
Screenshot_20200201-013738_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Screenshot_20200201-014309_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Screenshot_20200201-014552_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

(What mildy infuriates me is that I forgot to exit and resume before launching my rocket. I'll probably do this later to see if it's possible with the rocket I used here.) Here's a picture of some of the probes I drew:
2020-02-01 02.20.32.jpg

Follow up post will have pictures of the rocket blueprint and maybe the file too.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Dark in the Light

For the pole, you get two votes.
Shit, this has been my most daring mission yet. Earlier today, I was just drawing some probe concepts and one of the ones was a Neptune probe and maybe an hour ago, I decided what the hell, I'm going to Neptune so I designed a rocket using my Cherry Blossom booster and sent that sucker up. After lots of waiting I made it to Neptune and sorta just decided what to do from there. I did a flyby of two of the inner moons (though I'm sure theres more in the other ACSS packages I didn't install) and debated whether or not I should just drop the probe into the atmosphere. I decided against it and decided that I'll bring the damn thing home and recover it. I had practically no idea on how I was gonna get home, mainly my inability to get a half decent orbit so that the launch windows line up. Here are some pictures of it. To me, this is a huge accomplishment.
View attachment 32484 View attachment 32485 View attachment 32486
I was just timewarping when this happened... I though the probe was screwed...
View attachment 32487
Time to head home...
View attachment 32488
View attachment 32489

View attachment 32491
(What mildy infuriates me is that I forgot to exit and resume before launching my rocket. I'll probably do this later to see if it's possible with the rocket I used here.) Here's a picture of some of the probes I drew:
View attachment 32493
Follow up post will have pictures of the rocket blueprint and maybe the file too.
Here is the rocket:
Screenshot_20200201-014645_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Screenshot_20200201-014638_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Screenshot_20200201-022853_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Attachments

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
The Neptune Moons package has the remaining Neptune moons - this applies to Uranus as well (Jupiter and Saturn have those packages, but the moon systems are incomplete)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
You havent seen the insides of my SLS yet.
That'll be for reality sake, because you need a specific size for a proper SLS, but it can't be all fuel tanks because it'll be too heavy to lift etc.

Cherry Blossom has plenty of TWR left over for more weight, and isn't based on anything dictating its size

That'll be for reality sake, because you need a specific size for a proper SLS, but it can't be all fuel tanks because it'll be too heavy to lift etc.

Cherry Blossom has plenty of TWR left over for more weight, and isn't based on anything dictating its size
Maybe he needs it to smuggle slaves or illicit substances into space.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend

That's what they're calling a TWR of 2 nowadays?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Good mission journal! I'd love to see you do some flybys of Saturn moons next.

Btw, Horus Lupercal

Screenshot_20200201-184924.png
^ That's what was left after getting to LEO on the original dragster design.

Screenshot_20200201-185148.png
^ I filled up the empty space to match the the thrust of the Titans. I think the Cherry doesn't look very different, but it's gained 200 tonnes of muscle.

Screenshot_20200201-185459.png
Brought one stage more to orbit!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
That's what they're calling a TWR of 2 nowadays?
Well, yeah. Anything more than 1.6 is punting thrust into drag.

Btw, Horus Lupercal

View attachment 32501

View attachment 32507
^ I filled up the empty space to match the the thrust of the Titans. I think the Cherry doesn't look very different, but it's gained 200 tonnes of muscle.

View attachment 32508
Your second reply is exactly what I was trying to say.

An engine swap in some of the stages/making the stages larger would get the same payload a much, much further distance.

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Can't we create a reusable rocket for Neptune mission

Kinda SPACE X NEPTUNE

T

The Dark in the Light

Why all the dead space in the rocket?
Wasn't sure if the boosters would end up having more fuel than the core so I just left part of it as dead space. I was right when I did some testing, the boosters, if filled with fuel tanks, would have had more fuel than the core after the core's fuel was spent.

I actually designed the booster to be used for most of my missions in Earth's SOI (Mainly LEO and MEO, maybe for the Moon too) and since it was handy, I used it for this.

T

The Dark in the Light

Btw, Horus Lupercal

View attachment 32501

View attachment 32507

View attachment 32508
Can I get a picture of the blueprint? If so, do you mind if I add the changes to mine?
Can't we create a reusable rocket for Neptune mission

Kinda SPACE X NEPTUNE
Definitely beyond my capabilities right now.

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Can I get a picture of the blueprint? If so, do you mind if I add the changes to mine?

Definitely beyond my capabilities right now.
By the way i can
It's simple but time consuming,
For launching we are gonna use two big engine and a separation and a small engine to get into orbit and then we are gonna use ion engine till Neptune then land it by a small engine and again come back with ion engine.
I have did this with Saturn i can even do it with Neptune just need some time.

When i am done with that i will share the blueprint.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Uh, eh... Nice mission, but once again, as Horus and others already pointed, the TWR is extremely high.

Usually, 1.2-1.4 is the good range :)
Or, if you're like me, go for 1.001

T

The Dark in the Light

I'm currently trying to atleast flyby all of Neptune's moons. I installed the ACSS package that had them. I'll post it whenever I finish this. The moons are beautiful you know.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Not a problem. It's still your rocket after all.
Screenshot_20200202-110923.png

All I did was fill up the empty space and make the third stage less overpowered.

T

The Dark in the Light

Well, I screwed up. I ain't getting into detail but this is what happened. I was trying to reach the last two inner moons I planned on visiting and then head home, but since I have crappy piloting skills and only a bit of fuel,I fell into Neptune's atmosphere. But I did get some pictures. I'm now gonna go reload a save and just do flybys. I actually did land on some of the moons. Here are some pictures of my travels:

Attachments

T

The Dark in the Light

Well, I screwed up. I ain't getting into detail but this is what happened. I was trying to reach the last two inner moons I planned on visiting and then head home, but since I have crappy piloting skills and only a bit of fuel,I fell into Neptune's atmosphere. But I did get some pictures. I'm now gonna go reload a save and just do flybys. I actually did land on some of the moons. Here are some pictures of my travels:
Here are the remaining pictures. I can only post 20 at a time.

Anyways, I think its safe to say that this rocket can go to Neptune and back, with the glitch fixed and without.
Screenshot_20200202-040624_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Screenshot_20200202-040607_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

And @Mods, can somebody change the thread's title from what it currently is to 'My Missions to the outer planets' ?

Attachments

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Very cool! I'm sure you'll do even better next time.