My reusable Falcon 9!

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
@TtTOtW @Altaïr @GuHP20

So, remember that Falcon 9 I made? Well, now it's reusable! The Soviets wanted me to send in their Sputnik Ultra payloads (don't tell them I said this, but they're pretty much exactly the same as the Sputnik-1)
Anyway, like I said, this one is reusable. And not reusable as in it can just land back on the launchpad, no, it can land back on the launchpad, refuel, and have another second stage put onto it.

The Journey

1: The Launchpad
Screenshot_2018-09-22-17-55-59.png

2: Sputnik Ultra orbit
Screenshot_2018-09-22-18-05-19.png

3: First Stage landed
Screenshot_2018-09-22-18-16-27.png

4: Second Stage attached (With no gravity because I don't know how to make a way to attach the second stage without cheats)
Screenshot_2018-09-22-18-22-49.png

5: First stage refueled to 88%. Due to this only going up to 88%, this second launch is expendable, but it was impressive enough already, I think.
Screenshot_2018-09-22-18-26-06.png

6: Totally intentional refueling tower flip
Screenshot_2018-09-22-18-29-17.png

7: Second Takeoff
Screenshot_2018-09-22-18-29-38.png

8: Sputnik Ultra-2 Orbit
Screenshot_2018-09-22-18-34-28.png

9: What's this? The Falcon 9 First stage can STILL be recovered? "'Tis but a fleshwound" - The Black Knight.
Screenshot_2018-09-22-18-33-32.png

-End

Let me know what you all think!

GuHP20

《Sentinel》~ Pres Ben //|**|\\
Professor
Man on the Moon
Registered
I think you should make the first stage a bit taller,but nice mission!

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Wow, you truly masterize the return on the launchpad now! I'm the one that should ask for advice when I'll want to try this now :)

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Wow, you truly masterize the return on the launchpad now! I'm the one that should ask for advice when I'll want to try this now :)
Haha, thanks. Although, if you were to need my help I'm not sure how much help i could be since I am a TERRIBLE teacher. :p

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
I think you should make the first stage a bit taller,but nice mission!
I'm not sure how much I can increase the height without said height increases becoming redundant and then just making the max payload size smaller with no improvements to the rocket itself.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
So I just remembered that the refueling tower can fully refuel the first stage, I just forgot that the tower's fuel tanks were split by the batteries so there was still fuel on the top part of the tower... Oh well.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
No, the killer Rabbit just jumped up 30k to eat part of your rocket.

P

PhantomGamingYT

@TtTOtW @Altaïr @GuHP20

So, remember that Falcon 9 I made? Well, now it's reusable! The Soviets wanted me to send in their Sputnik Ultra payloads (don't tell them I said this, but they're pretty much exactly the same as the Sputnik-1)
Anyway, like I said, this one is reusable. And not reusable as in it can just land back on the launchpad, no, it can land back on the launchpad, refuel, and have another second stage put onto it.

The Journey

1: The Launchpad
View attachment 7154

2: Sputnik Ultra orbit
View attachment 7156

3: First Stage landed
View attachment 7157

4: Second Stage attached (With no gravity because I don't know how to make a way to attach the second stage without cheats)
View attachment 7158

5: First stage refueled to 88%. Due to this only going up to 88%, this second launch is expendable, but it was impressive enough already, I think.
View attachment 7159

6: Totally intentional refueling tower flip
View attachment 7160

7: Second Takeoff
View attachment 7161

8: Sputnik Ultra-2 Orbit
View attachment 7162

9: What's this? The Falcon 9 First stage can STILL be recovered? "'Tis but a fleshwound" - The Black Knight.
View attachment 7163

-End

Let me know what you all think!
Im gonna go tell Stalin right now.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
@8bitCosmonaut This is a fairly old post, but what do you think of this reusability test? Before you say it, yes, i know it doesn't really look like a Falcon 9 but I did what I could. Anyway, I would like your opinion on this. Any feedback would be appreciated.

@8bitCosmonaut This is a fairly old post, but what do you think of this reusability test? Before you say it, yes, i know it doesn't really look like a Falcon 9 but I did what I could. Anyway, I would like your opinion on this. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Use 3 engines rather than just 2, usually your rocket with 10% of her fuel is more than light enough for just 1 RB-48 to land the stage. Use landing legs as grid fins rather than that mass of structure parts. Cut down your side docking ports from 2 to 1 to save on mass.

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
Use 3 engines rather than just 2, usually your rocket with 10% of her fuel is more than light enough for just 1 RB-48 to land the stage. Use landing legs as grid fins rather than that mass of structure parts. Cut down your side docking ports from 2 to 1 to save on mass.
It already uses 3 engines but the middle one is a frontier engine. If you mean 3 Titan engines then I'll see what I can do.