New Ranks!

TresAbhi

Man on the Moon
Registered
Mars is correct.
You cannot do anything with the payload to help you reach orbit, it needs to be completely untouched.

Technically, you can make whatever rocket you want with whatever stages you want. But since you're limited to no clipping, no cheats, and a standard DLC build grid (no infinite build grid), you'll find that a SSTO will be impossible, it's too inefficient for the given payload and space restrictions.
So I cannot overlap parts using the trick where you select overlapping parts and you move them?

My design, to save weight, does not use separators, but, instead, explodes the last stage with the heat of the next stage. There isn't enough space inside the grid, so I clipped some parts (without the cheat, I have base game) to create a payload of exactly 200t. Will this work? Also, my rocket heavily utilises clipping (again, without the cheat) to make it all fit.

Is that okay?

I'll attach the payload design, however, I'm not ready to reveal my craft yet.

Attachments

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
First, I should note that you cannot get a badge for the Team Hawk heavy lifting challenge we are discussing until you complete Team Titan and then Team Frontier.
If it seems impossible to do the heavy lifting challenge with the below restrictions, that is because you need to gain skills from Team Titan and Team Frontier first.

So I cannot overlap parts using the trick where you select overlapping parts and you move them?
Nope, no overlapping parts.
but, instead, explodes the last stage with the heat of the next stage.
That counts as damage to your rocket, as a general rule you cannot do that in these official challenges.
There isn't enough space inside the grid, so I clipped some parts (without the cheat, I have base game) to create a payload of exactly 200t.
Also, my rocket heavily utilises clipping (again, without the cheat) to make it all fit.
As I said, no overlapping parts.

TresAbhi

Man on the Moon
Registered
First, I should note that you cannot get a badge for the Team Hawk heavy lifting challenge we are discussing until you complete Team Titan and then Team Frontier.
If it seems impossible to do the heavy lifting challenge with the below restrictions, that is because you need to gain skills from Team Titan and Team Frontier first.

Nope, no overlapping parts.

That counts as damage to your rocket, as a general rule you cannot do that in these official challenges.

As I said, no overlapping parts.
Okay, by these rules, I have done everything! Where do I submit all my stuff?

(I have a new design with no clipping).

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Here is where everything should be submitted.
Team Entries
Please remember to do the challenges from bottom level first to top level last if you want badges.
Each level has a pinned post showing what challenges are in that level and what the requirements are.
The heavy lifting challenge is in the top level, team hawk.

TresAbhi

Man on the Moon
Registered
Here is where everything should be submitted.
Team Entries
Please remember to do the challenges from bottom level first to top level last if you want badges.
Each level has a pinned post showing what challenges are in that level and what the requirements are.
The heavy lifting challenge is in the top level, team hawk.
Thanks!

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
So only two missions to go and have Hawk?
I'm not sure, Mooncrasher does that one replica count for both team frontier and hawk? I think it's either or, right? You don't lose team frontier, but I think you'll have to redo it to get the team hawk badge.

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Nope. You have the old replica challenge, which counts for Frontier.
I daresay replicas for Hawk are judged a bit more strictly. ;)

You have 5 missions to pick from for Hawk currently. If you wish to attempt for a Hawk Copycat badge, I would say that you need to replace your Frontier Copycat badge first with the Voyager Quest badge.

AstronautAdam

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Guys 600 tons of cargo? Or rocket with 600 tons? Because cargo is bit problematic for one bleuprint. Clipping is forbidden ok, but only 1 bp?

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Guys 600 tons of cargo? Or rocket with 600 tons? Because cargo is bit problematic for one bleuprint. Clipping is forbidden ok, but only 1 bp?
600 ton payload. The rocket will weigh more than that.

AstronautAdam

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
UUUurrrrghhhhh! I tried it with my Ultra-Turbo-Launcher but max apoapsis 29,6 km. periapsis 0km. What is better approach-classic via angle guide or straight to 40km and then gain some speed to get to the LEO?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
UUUurrrrghhhhh! I tried it with my Ultra-Turbo-Launcher but max apoapsis 29,6 km. periapsis 0km. What is better approach-classic via angle guide or straight to 40km and then gain some speed to get to the LEO?
Actually that challenge has to be rebalanced. Before heat damage was added, it was possible to place engines on several layers. Now if you do that your launcher instantly blows up. Launching 600 tons in those conditions became next to impossible.

To answer your question it's better to gradually increase your incidence angle during the flight. Launching straight up is very inefficient, the sooner you start building your horizontal velocity, the better.

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
So if 600 tons are impossible what next?
It isn't impossible, just harder.:) I have verified this just now.
I can't guarantee that there won't be any rebalancing of this mission, but rest assured that it is possible, but requiring more skill and trajectory optimization.

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
I can't guarantee that there won't be any rebalancing of this mission, but rest assured that it is possible, but requiring more skill and trajectory optimization.
Can confirm. Still did it with quite a margin, not without some shenanigans.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
True, I exagerated. But it's still much harder than before. o_O

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
True, I exagerated. But it's still much harder than before. o_O
Today I'll post how i did it. I've wanted to post it for ages as part of a larger project, but I kinda forgot.