Planet editing under 1.5

G

Ghost220819

That's odd, most of the file just fixed itself? I'd guess from the screenshot that you forgot to save some changes before the upload. There's a golden rule in planet editing that says that you should always save your planet files after every change, so no modifications are lost.

Anyway, here's a (somewhat self-) fixed version. I personally didnt find the issues shown in the screenshots...
It fixed itself? I'm a little confused, but thank you for the help! I will give it a test and report back.

G

Ghost220819

Ran into another problem. I changed some values and the parent body, but when I reloaded it ingame Ater had move from it's position around Earth.
Screenshot_20210912-162304_DroidEdit Free.jpg
Screenshot_20210912-162307_DroidEdit Free.jpg
Screenshot_20210912-162432_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Screenshot_20210912-162454_DroidEdit Free.jpg
Screenshot_20210912-162501_DroidEdit Free.jpg
Screenshot_20210912-162502_DroidEdit Free.jpg

G

Ghost220819

Solved the problem, I had to save the file as another name. But then I encountered another problem. I switched the parent body to Sun instead of Earth and here's what came up:
Screenshot_20210912-194117_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

I've got the feeling that if the file was a proper planet file and not a Phobos/Deimos file it would load and work. I guess I can't have an asteroid belt. Will be posting the rest of this in my thread.

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Just putting here before i forget:

There is an exception to the guideline of "you dont need to put the file extensions in the inputs": the custom heightmaps... For those, you have to use [heightmap file name].txt, otherwise SFS doesnt load it. This isnt needed for heightmaps avaiable in stock SFS.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
can u do pc version of how to build your own solar system
It's exactly the same method. The post I made was written long ago so it may be outdated on some points, but there's an Example folder in the Custom solar system directory.

I also did the above method to edit the planets.
Change the location of the launchpad, create new planets, etc. But rather nothing on the map is working and nothing is working.

Screenshot_20221211-214505.png Screenshot_20221211-214455.png Screenshot_20221211-221246.png Screenshot_20221211-221249.png

I would appreciate it if you could tell me how to solve it!

English is not my first language so I used a translator.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hello,

This thread is old, so some things may be outdated. However I know there's a bug currently with the Example solar system, see this for more informations.

If you have a json error, it most certainly means that you made a mistake when editing the file. To limit the risk don't hesitate to make a backup of your work so that you can come back to an earlier version if you really messed up.

MasterOgon

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I have a problem. I found this file but for some reason I can't copy it. I was only able to create empty folders that show up in the game and can't delete them. I just click on it and I can open it but I can't choose to copy it. I just downloaded Total Commander today, maybe I don't understand something? But at the same time I can edit the game folders but nothing changes. I wrote the address of Venus in the launch pad file and saved it to check
Screenshot_20230314-165522.png

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I have a problem. I found this file but for some reason I can't copy it. I was only able to create empty folders that show up in the game and can't delete them. I just click on it and I can open it but I can't choose to copy it. I just downloaded Total Commander today, maybe I don't understand something? But at the same time I can edit the game folders but nothing changes. I wrote the address of Venus in the launch pad file and saved it to check View attachment 100561
Hello,

With Total commander you normally have the copy button there:
Screenshot_20230314-181216_Total Commander.jpg

The folder you show is where you should copy custom solar systems indeed. However the Example folder is just a folder generated by the game so that players have a basis to create a solar system. If you edit it or even remove it, the game will recreate it and your changes will be undone. The game doesn't base itself on this folder to generate the solar system, so editing it will have no effect.

MasterOgon

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Hello,

With Total commander you normally have the copy button there:
View attachment 100564

The folder you show is where you should copy custom solar systems indeed. However the Example folder is just a folder generated by the game so that players have a basis to create a solar system. If you edit it or even remove it, the game will recreate it and your changes will be undone. The game doesn't base itself on this folder to generate the solar system, so editing it will have no effect.
Thank you, I have already made significant progress on this issue. I did something and all the functions appeared). But in the folder, an example is an empty world with only a launch pad. I read here that this is broken and downloaded another example file. Now I need to move it there somehow.

MasterOgon

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Screenshot_20230314-195919.png
This is example copy with no changes.

Dawnload fixed file from here here and already did this.

Last edited:

MasterOgon

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
And I immediately have a huge number of questions, but could you tell me where to find a manual on changing worlds? I'm wondering if it's possible to make a planet with a retrograde elliptical orbit near the earth and an apogee somewhere far away? Crossing other orbits

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
View attachment 100565 This is example copy with no changes.

Dawnload fixed file from here here and already did this.
Strange, that file was supposed to work... I've made one myself if you want to try: Planet Editor was broken

And I immediately have a huge number of questions, but could you tell me where to find a manual on changing worlds? I'm wondering if it's possible to make a planet with a retrograde elliptical orbit near the earth and an apogee somewhere far away? Crossing other orbits
There's no manual, but the text files are pretty explicit, you should find everything you want without too much pain.

For your planet you'll have to change this section:
Screenshot_20230314-212134_QuickEdit+.jpg
Set direction to -1 to make it retrograde. For the orbit itself you can alter the semi major axis, eccentricity, and argument of periapsis.

The semi major axis (sma) is equal to (periapsis + apoapsis)/2. Eccentricity is 0 for a circular orbit, and positive for an elliptical orbit. It should range between 0 and 1.
If you want to set periapsis and apoapsis at a given value, you can use those formulas:
periapsis = sma × (1-eccentricity)
apoapsis = sma × (1+eccentricity)

Finally, argument of periapsis is an angle in degrees, it tells the game at which angle should be placed the periapsis.

HELP I ACCIDENTALY CLEARED MY TRASH WITHOUT KNOWING I ACCIDENTALY DELETED MY EXAMPLE SOLAR SYSTEM CAN SOMEBODY GIVE ME A DOWNLOAD TO THE EXAMPLE BACK?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
HELP I ACCIDENTALY CLEARED MY TRASH WITHOUT KNOWING I ACCIDENTALY DELETED MY EXAMPLE SOLAR SYSTEM CAN SOMEBODY GIVE ME A DOWNLOAD TO THE EXAMPLE BACK?
Just launch the game, it will recreate your Example folder.