Post your best web links. Aerospace, aircraft, heated airship balloon, scientific discovery ....

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The documentary about the last shuttle flight is great. The photos too. But there is no English subtitle. Sorry. I post for the pleasure of the eyes for those who do not understand French. Sorry.
Really cool video, thanks Tony. :)

But there's also a small story about that last flight (and I'm kinda disappointed he didn't mention it). The crew of Atlantis brought an american flag with them. That flag had already flown on the first space shuttle flight, Columbia in 1981, so it has a very important symbolic value. Before undocking, the crew left the flag on the spatial station for the next crew that would take-off from the american soil to bring it back to Earth.

By the way, that flag is visible on the video at 13:45, one of the crew members holds it in his hands. Today, that flag is still there, on the ISS:
572464main_fd11flag_full.jpg

It's been there for nearly 9 years now, but not for long anymore, as the next crewed flight is scheduled on May 27th. Finally, the americans will be able to bring back their flag :p

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Really cool video, thanks Tony. :)

But there's also a small story about that last flight (and I'm kinda disappointed he didn't mention it). The crew of Atlantis brought an american flag with them. That flag had already flown on the first space shuttle flight, Columbia in 1981, so it has a very important symbolic value. Before undocking, the crew left the flag on the spatial station for the next crew that would take-off from the american soil to bring it back to Earth.

By the way, that flag is visible on the video at 13:45, one of the crew members holds it in his hands. Today, that flag is still there, on the ISS:
View attachment 37702

It's been there for nearly 9 years now, but not for long anymore, as the next crewed flight is scheduled on May 27th. Finally, the americans will be able to bring back their flag :p
Very interesting story. So I'm guessing they will go there on a Dragon?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Very interesting story. So I'm guessing they will go there on a Dragon?
Yes, indeed.
Another fun fact I just discovered is that one of the 2 crew members of the Dragon flight will be Doug Hurley, which was... the pilot of STS-135! Also apparently, at some point they lost the flag. But after several weeks of search, they finally found it. Hopefully, it's now awaiting to be "captured" by the next crew. See more details here:
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-052020a-capture-flag-lost-spacex.html

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I think it's the first Starship incendiary...
The others were nitrogen pops, I think.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
4 in a row... For now the Starship equalized the N1 rocket :rolleyes:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The earlier ones weren't firey explosions, were they?
All I remember is white clouds of nitrogen.
Ah you're right. It's just that I didn't make the distinction. A failure is a failure :p