Project Le Verrier

Cosmo... I drink too much milk. Mercury can't hold a candle to me. 3 to 5 litres fresh milk a day usef to be a standard for me. Now 2l a day barely suffices.
My mother used to whack the shit out me for finishing a whole tub within 2 days. Half the day we bought it, the other half the next day.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
hey Horus Lupercal since neptune is my base can i start there haha :)
Sure, as long as you follow the mission criteria in the original post. Same as the Lt, who lives on Saturn, if you'd read the posts.

I do look forward to seeing your impactors, sample collection equipment, orbital scanning systems, conclusions and the method you're going to use to return the data back to me here on Earth.

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I noticed you wanted to start from Neptune. Not from one of its moons, but Neptune itself. Now that is interesting :p
i ment proteus im goung to asembl some rockets there and then start it

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
and im going to make the info go back to proteus then on a rocket back to earth

I think this is the last presentation slide, which will be covering the rest of Horus's mission requirements.

P.S. At the time you're reading this message, Poseidon's orbital assembly is already complete. Now assembling the shuttlers.

Sorry lads, I have been dealing with military pre-enlistment crap plus my RC project and have no time to work on SFS for a few months now, so when I restarted it, there were many stuff and styles I have lost over time and needed to rediscover all my math/planning.

Characterize the composition, structure, and dynamics of Neptune’s atmosphere
To achieve this, there will be two probes that will be sent into Neptune's atmosphere.

The first probe (type 1) will figure out the basic composition of Neptune's atmosphere using its battery of primary and secondary gas analyzers, it also records the structure and dynamics of Neptune's atmosphere at different altitudes using its densitometer, anemometer, thermometers and barometer.

The second probe (type 2) will act as an accuracy enhancer for the first probe's structure and dynamics readings, its spectrometer will be used to obtain further details about the composition of Neptune's atmosphere, its photometer will measure the behavior of EM radiation between the infrared and ultraviolet spectrum as it descends further into Neptune.

Probes Smol.png

The bottom-most box details how the probe will carry out its mission.
1- After detaching from the mothership, the probe's braking engines will fire, bringing its perigee down for atmospheric entry.
2- After the firing process, the engine stage will detach from the probe, revealing the heat shield.
3- Atmospheric entry
4- Post entry, sub-sonic velocities reached, protective fairings detach
5- Drag chute deploys, instrument boom deploys, sensors begin recording data

• Determine the size of Neptune’s core
The size of Neptune's core can be roughly determined using the probes, their radars, spectrometers and dynamics sensors will provide details for each layer of the atmosphere, even after the probes have been destroyed upon reaching a level with environmental conditions harsh enough, newfound details about Neptune's atmosphere will allow researchers back at home to produce more accurate educated guesses to what Neptune's core is truly like.

• Determine how energy and particles flow throughout Neptune’s complex magnetosphere
• Constrain the structure of Neptune’s ring arcs
For this, an orbiter will be used, loaded with all the necessary instruments.

Magnetometers, magnetospheric measurement systems and spectrometers to study Neptune's magnetosphere. A specialized cosmic dust analyzer will aid in providing additional details about the composition of Neptune's rings at different arcs.

Orbiter Smol.jpg

[Opportunity Science Segment; Neptune Sample-return Unmanned Aircraft]
Now to move on to one of the opportunity science segments; the sample return aircraft. This experimental vehicle is, as its name suggests, highly experimental, so I don't expect this thing to come back alive, therefore as a sick joke I fashioned his protective fairing into the shape of a rifle bullet casing.

Anyways, as the image below illustrates, the vehicle will be towed out from its fairing with the help of a tug drone, where afterwards the aircraft will be flown into Neptune's upper atmosphere to collect samples.

IF this thing does make it back out, the tug will rendezvous with it and ferry it back to the mothership to be taken back home for further study.

[Details]
Packed mass: 56.9 ton

Tower wet mass: 11.8 ton
Tower dry mass: 7.3 ton
Dv: 4805 sec

Aircraft wet mass: 37.8 ton
Aircraft dry mass: 19.8 ton
Dv: 1808 sec

UAV Smol.png

[Opportunity Science Segment; Pluto Exploration Suite]
I mean we're already next door to Pluto, might as well take advantage of the opportunity. This is basically a mini unmanned mothership that uses the same configuration as the shuttlers.

It's payload consists of:
- Pluto Observatory Lander
- Observatory Fission Power Supply
- Overseer & Relay Orbiter
- Twin Mini Landers for Charon and Styx

Pluto is one of the best places to mount an observatory. It is cold, so its heat sensors can detect heat signatures far better without the need of crazy power guzzling cryogenic contraptions. It's dark especially on the far side, so light exposure and imaging clarity will be superior, allowing us to image stars and planets with amazing quality.

An orbiter allows ground control to communicate with the observatory and other vehicles hidden from direct line of sight. The twin landers will be used to carry out basic data collection on their respective moons.

[Details]
Micro Landers Mass: 31.6 ton
Pluto Package Mass: 61.7 ton
Propulsion Unit: 47.3 ton
Total dry mass: 137.8 ton
Wet mass: 153.5 ton

Dv: 1000 m/s

PLUTO PACKAGE SMol.jpg

Overall Cargo Mass: 906.7 tons

MotherShip Mass: 526.3 ton

so the currently the entire assembly will weigh 1433 tons without the main fuel and propulsion.

HORUS I'M SCARED, ITS GETTING TOO BIG!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
HORUS I'M SCARED, ITS GETTING TOO BIG!
The Warmaster has absolute faith in your abilities Enginseer.

When you come online and see [8bitCosmonaut has quoted your post in the thread Le Verrier] it means only one thing.
Ultra realism is back, and it looks awesome man. Gonna need a good hour to get properly through the blueprints, but the senor probes and supersonic heatshield design I've got a lot of time for.

That and the sacrificial spent casing. Lots of time for that

As in there's a lot to look at. And it'd be a shame not to look at the details considering the effort that's gone into it
Im actually not very confident about the Neptune orbiter. Its been ages since I've restarted this project and a lot of details have been forgotten, so the tasks given to some of the sensor modules could be mistaken or wrong.