Project Osiris

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I'm currently working on making semi-reuseable rockets. More like it, I'm trying to make rockets that come back to Earth in one piece.

So far, I have done Osiris 0 and 1.

Osiris 0:

It was a atmospheric test flight, where basically I was messing with a could-be booster that had a probe in it. It was able to land, but this was only a flight using one booster without a rocket to control. This booster would not be realistic, because the booster would be hard to control, there would be to much to control (the 2 boosters, and the rocket itself), and it would be hard to land without something important breaking. Note: I did this before Project Osiris existed. But I thought this would be a good thing to add, so I named this test Osiris 0, as it wasn't a true part of Project Osiris.

Osiris 1:

Osiris 1 was a sub-orbital test flight for Project Osiris. It used a SSTO (Single Stage To Orbit) rocket, covered with heat shields on one side. It was barely able to reach orbit, which it was surprising, as it was just a test flight that was not intended to reach orbit. So using remaining fuel, the rocket was lowered to a sub-orbital trajectory. It deorbited successfully, minus the fact that the Hawk engine used to get to orbit didn't have a heat shield covering it, making it detach from the rocket and burn up in the upper atmosphere. Other than this small blip, the mission was a success, and landed safely, and the astronaut still alive.

Expect more missions from Project Osiris soon, even though a fully reusable rocket isn't going to come for a long time from this project. I will also show photos from future projects, as I was not thinking about such evidence when doing these tests.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Alright, I did Osiris 2,

IT was another suborbital test flight, with the heat shield also covering the Hawk engine. It did almost get stuck in orbit, but it was able to re-enter safely. Here is photos of the test. You can figure out the stages of the test.

Screenshot (180).png
Screenshot (181).png
Screenshot (182).png
Screenshot (183).png
Screenshot (184).png
Screenshot (185).png
Screenshot (186).png
Screenshot (187).png
Screenshot (188).png
Screenshot (189).png
Screenshot (190).png
Screenshot (191).png
Screenshot (192).png
Screenshot (193).png
Screenshot (194).png

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Did a re-enactment of Osiris 0:

Screenshot (196).png
Screenshot (197).png
Screenshot (198).png
Screenshot (199).png
Screenshot (200).png
Screenshot (201).png
Screenshot (202).png
Screenshot (203).png
Screenshot (204).png

There was a lot more than this, only 1 or 2 times this thing landed, all the other times it wrecked, came in to far, didn't engage the landing legs in time, or I did it one after another. AND think of having to land 2 of these at the same time AND have to make sure your payload reaches orbit. This is why I said that this booster would not be functional. It is fun to mess with, but is not practical by any other means.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Osiris 3:

It was a smaller sub-orbital test flight, where I was trying to mix the advantages of all the previous projects, including Osiris 0, and making a rocket that could land vertically. It ended up burning up in the atmosphere, losing one of our own. I will try to correct this error in Osiris 4. And I used part clipping. Don't ask.

Screenshot (205).png
Screenshot (206).png
Screenshot (207).png
Screenshot (208).png
Screenshot (209).png
Screenshot (210).png
Screenshot (211).png
Screenshot (212).png

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Osiris 4:

The same basic operation of Osiris 3, and was more successful. The mistake I made on Osiris 3 was that I was coming in on a steeper trajectory than earlier tests. But I was using the exact same procedure for this test that I used for earlier tests, and ended up burning up. Osiris 4 fixed this, but landed too hard, making the rocket fall in half. The astronaut did survive, however, so it was a success none the less.

Screenshot (206).png
Screenshot (207).png
Screenshot (215).png
Screenshot (216).png
Screenshot (217).png
Screenshot (218).png
Screenshot (219).png
Screenshot (220).png
Screenshot (221).png
Screenshot (222).png

Obviously, I was trying to use the landing system of Osiris 0, but failed. Osiris 5 will still have landing legs, and they will serve a similar purpose to this mission. But I won't be using the engine to slow me down.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Osiris 5:

This mission, I was scared it would burn up or not land properly. It was successful, though. Here's what happened:
This mission used landing legs to land vertically, and parachutes to slow it down instead of the Hawk engine. It was able to get to a sub-orbital trajectory, but when re-entering, the rocket went out of control. I was quick to react this time, and I was able to keep the whole ship from burning up, even though it was a tug of war between myself and the rocket disintegrating. The parachutes weren't as lucky, and some burned up. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough parachutes to land safely, but what was left was enough to land safely. I also used part clipping again. Sorry!

Screenshot (223).png

Screenshot (224).png

Screenshot (225).png
Screenshot (226).png
Screenshot (227).png
Screenshot (228).png
Screenshot (229).png
Screenshot (230).png
Screenshot (231).png
Screenshot (232).png
Screenshot (234).png
Screenshot (235).png
Screenshot (238).png
Screenshot (239).png
Screenshot (240).png

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I will be doing more missions, but that dosen't mean you can't comment. Fell free to comment as I make my journey to a reuseable rocket!

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Osiris 6:

It wasn't very successful, as it went out of control on re-entry and all the parachutes disintegrated. Using my remaining fuel, I tried to land it like the way I did Osiris 0, but I crashed into the ground, and most of the rocket was damaged. The crew did survive, but next time I will have to stop using steep trajectories. They are way to dangerous for such craft.

Screenshot (241).png
Screenshot (242).png
Screenshot (243).png
Screenshot (244).png
Screenshot (245).png
Screenshot (246).png
Screenshot (247).png
Screenshot (248).png
Screenshot (249).png
Screenshot (250).png
Screenshot (251).png

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Osiris 7:

We have now lost 2 people to the intensity of re-entry. I let my guard down and the rocket disintegrated. This is real hard. I'm not giving up though. I will try again until I have it every time. I added a emergency parachute on the back, but I didn't compensate for having the capsule burn up. I have to go for a shallower re-entry. It may be longer, but at least it will bring them home safe and sound.

Screenshot (252).png
Screenshot (253).png
Screenshot (254).png
Screenshot (255).png
Screenshot (256).png
Screenshot (257).png
Screenshot (258).png
Screenshot (259).png

Attachments

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Osiris 8:

I'm close to giving up. We lost a 3rd person to re-entry. I used every drop of fuel and it still almost completely burned up. All that's left is a heat shield. Since that first landing, I haven't had any similar results. It can't get any worse. If I don't land it successfully again by Osiris 12, I'm giving up Project Osiris.

Screenshot (260).png
Screenshot (261).png
Screenshot (262).png
Screenshot (263).png
Screenshot (264).png
Screenshot (265).png
Screenshot (266).png
Screenshot (267).png

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I'm ending Project Osiris. I can't do it. If you want to try, then be my guest. I can't do it. It's to difficult.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Alright, I may have gotten a little too frustrated. I think I have a way to fix this. The rocket ain't going to look good, but it has a good chance of getting me a good rocket. Also, feel free to help me on this journey. I'll explain what I mean once I can prove my idea works.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Osiris 9:

It was a near complete success! The only problem was that the rocket was a little top- heavy and would not turn upright while decending. The parachutes did right this, and it was a success! If you can see it, you can see remains of another Osiris rocket, which obviously failed. I'll try to figure out this mystery remains soon.

Screenshot (284).png
Screenshot (285).png
Screenshot (286).png
Screenshot (287).png
Screenshot (288).png
Screenshot (289).png
Screenshot (291).png
Screenshot (292).png
Screenshot (293).png
Screenshot (294).png
Screenshot (295).png
Screenshot (296).png
Screenshot (297).png
Screenshot (298).png
Screenshot (299).png
Screenshot (300).png

Attachments

SHΔRD Aerospace

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Osiris 9:

It was a near complete success! The only problem was that the rocket was a little top- heavy and would not turn upright while decending. The parachutes did right this, and it was a success! If you can see it, you can see remains of another Osiris rocket, which obviously failed. I'll try to figure out this mystery remains soon.

View attachment 97218 View attachment 97219 View attachment 97220 View attachment 97221 View attachment 97222 View attachment 97223 View attachment 97224 View attachment 97227 View attachment 97228 View attachment 97229 View attachment 97230 View attachment 97231 View attachment 97232 View attachment 97233 View attachment 97234 View attachment 97235
oh you totally abandoned it

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Alright, I found out what the mystery debris was.

It was the remains of Osiris 4, as it crashed into the ground and split in half. The capsule was recovered, but not the rest of the rocket. I didn't think of recovering it, and ironicaly, Osiris 9 landed close to it. I'm not recovering it a symbol of how dangerous the early days of Project Osiris was.

Here is the picture I used to determine the craft,

Screenshot (222).png

And here it is now.

Screenshot (301).png

Also, Shard, stop being so negative about it.

AstronautAdam

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
ILovespace3 If you want to land more things easily, there is simple but not 100% errorproof solution-on every booster, rocket, etc, get various altitudes with big gaps enough to land every thing separably. I tried that only with two stage recovarable rocket without booster-2 landings. But if I remember well, engine is still on after switching to other rocket. Only thing needed is lots, but LOTS of math. Dont give up, I failed on Atlas missions about 40 times minimaly-here on forum are only 3-4 of them(flight was succesful but not with enough weight of cargo). And I am still here, doing Jovian moon mission.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
ILovespace3 If you want to land more things easily, there is simple but not 100% errorproof solution-on every booster, rocket, etc, get various altitudes with big gaps enough to land every thing separably. I tried that only with two stage recovarable rocket without booster-2 landings. But if I remember well, engine is still on after switching to other rocket. Only thing needed is lots, but LOTS of math. Dont give up, I failed on Atlas missions about 40 times minimaly-here on forum are only 3-4 of them(flight was succesful but not with enough weight of cargo). And I am still here, doing Jovian moon mission.
I was just getting a little too discouraged. After giving it some time I thought up a solution. Also, there is no way I'm doing that much math. I have ADHD, and one thing that is in my symptoms is that I skip around alot. So I'm probably not going back to work on Osiris 0.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Osiris 10:

I tried out the system again, and it was a complete success! it may be top-heavy, but it works.

Screenshot (302).png
Screenshot (303).png
Screenshot (304).png
Screenshot (305).png
Screenshot (306).png
Screenshot (307).png
Screenshot (308).png
Screenshot (309).png
Screenshot (310).png
Screenshot (311).png
Screenshot (312).png
Screenshot (314).png
Screenshot (315).png
Screenshot (316).png

If I want this to be reuseable, I need to be able to refuel it. This is where you come in. I want someone to design a vehicle to go out to refuel the rocket. I will add a docking port to the side to make it easier. While you work on the rocket reload vehicle, I will test out the emergency system.