Project Snowy Wind

• Thread starter The Dark in the Light
  • Start date
T

The Dark in the Light

It is time for the long overdue transport of the station to Mars!

After a refuel in LEO, the station is ready to depart for Mars.
1620369003579.png

Off to Mars!
1620369028679.png

1620369034861.png

En route:
1620369043576.png

1620369052015.png

Slight readjustment because I got confused on the trajectory...
1620369101918.png

Almost there:
1620369117156.png

1620369129067.png

1620369135556.png

We have reached LMO!
1620369163077.png

Docking of the station will commence shortly.

T

The Dark in the Light

It is time for the long overdue transport of the station to Mars!

After a refuel in LEO, the station is ready to depart for Mars.
View attachment 62995
Off to Mars!
View attachment 62996
View attachment 62997
En route:
View attachment 62998
View attachment 62999
Slight readjustment because I got confused on the trajectory...
View attachment 63000
Almost there:
View attachment 63001
View attachment 63002
View attachment 63003
We have reached LMO!
View attachment 63004
Docking of the station will commence shortly.
Turns out that mission was for pretty much nothing and I'm livid. I have to redesign the station itself because it is impossible to dock the solar panels to their designated spots. This can wait a day or two, I'm going to bed.

T

The Dark in the Light

After another short break, I'm back with a concept for a martian surface base:
Screenshot_20210517-233307_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

I like the look of it, but I'm gonna play around with some more designs to see what I like best.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
T

The Dark in the Light

You goin to add an airlock over that module?
:)
I'll see what I can for that, thanks for the idea!

After another short break, I'm back with a concept for a martian surface base:
View attachment 64229
I like the look of it, but I'm gonna play around with some more designs to see what I like best.
I think I'll keep this design because I like the look of it, and transporting this to Mars will be relatively easy.

T

The Dark in the Light

Disclaimer: this is just an outline of the surface base and may be subject to change.

Martian Surface Base

Phase 1
Use a rover to scout for an ideal landing location.

Phase 2
Launch, assemble and land the Martian Base and lander/ascender.

Phase 3
Land rations and other supplies at the base.

Phase 4
Transport and land the crew at the base.

The surface base will consist of two habitat modules, one laboratory module, two greenhouses, one lander/ascender, emergency escape craft and one or two rovers. Everything will be sent throughout multiple missions. The modules will have disposable parachutes attached to them prior to landing to aid in the descent, and in some cases engines may be used as well. An array of satellites will be set up in LMO, HMO, LEO, HEO. Both the Martian surface base and Earth will have large satellite dishes for communications between bases, space stations, spacecraft and ground control.​

T

The Dark in the Light

Disclaimer: this is just an outline of the surface base and may be subject to change.

Martian Surface Base

Phase 1
Use a rover to scout for an ideal landing location.

Phase 2
Launch, assemble and land the Martian Base and lander/ascender.

Phase 3
Land rations and other supplies at the base.

Phase 4
Transport and land the crew at the base.

The surface base will consist of two habitat modules, one laboratory module, two greenhouses, one lander/ascender, emergency escape craft and one or two rovers. Everything will be sent throughout multiple missions. The modules will have disposable parachutes attached to them prior to landing to aid in the descent, and in some cases engines may be used as well. An array of satellites will be set up in LMO, HMO, LEO, HEO. Both the Martian surface base and Earth will have large satellite dishes for communications between bases, space stations, spacecraft and ground control.​
Here is the habitat module. First picture is in landing configuration and the second is when it's on the surface.
Screenshot_20210521-074010_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Screenshot_20210521-073815_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

TtTOtW I don't think you've seen this thread yet, come check it out!

T

The Dark in the Light

I've constructed a greenhouse, though some parts of it may be changed.
Screenshot_20210522-095710_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

The surface base itself would look like this: greenhouse, habitation/laboratory, greenhouse.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Maybe you could use the solar panel texture on the upper fairing, so it looks like is made of glass, like a real greenhouse.

T

The Dark in the Light

I meant to say the main body of the greenhouse (the fairing), but is your build and that should do it, lol.
Ah, lol. I do like how I did the top section though, looks quite nice. Within the next couple days I'll be starting construction on Mars.

T

The Dark in the Light

Here's what the base would likely look like. The module in the middle is the habitation/laboratory and two on the left and right are greenhouses.
Screenshot_20210522-141153_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

I'm debating on whether or not to change how the modules are connected. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to put them out there.

yonkee

Queen of Awesome
Staff member
Team Kolibri
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
MOTY 2022
Ah, lol. I do like how I did the top section though, looks quite nice. Within the next couple days I'll be starting construction on Mars.
I agree actually it looks like your module has a dome window on the top but why does some of them have docking ports on top? Are you attaching stuff on top of them in the future

T

The Dark in the Light

I agree actually it looks like your module has a dome window on the top but why does some of them have docking ports on top? Are you attaching stuff on top of them in the future
I might end up attaching things. Their just placeholders for now cos solar panels kinda look weird for this build when extended.

T

The Dark in the Light

I just need one more greenhouse module, then I'll figure out whether or not to send the modules individually or as one single mission.
Screenshot_20210525-224526_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

T

The Dark in the Light

Just finished refining part of the greenhouse module. Now it looks better in my opinion. I hope the surface base will look decent when it's on Mars.
Screenshot_20210526-103813_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg