Public Progress Thread (Off-topic SFS)

XenonSpace

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
bro how do oyu make your first engine not exslpode from heat idk how the new update works
You can use cheats, or BP editing to turn off engine heat. Though this is not recommended, try not to use these unless you really need no engine heat (example; rocket replica).

Trying to build an efficient rocket to Mars and back
I wish you the best! I have considered building a reusable Mars rocket (like the Starship) but the problem I keep encountering is where does the heatshield go? It can't be detachable, can't go under the engines and the rocket has to look decent, no weird asymmetrical things sticking out.

XenonSpace

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
I wish you the best! I have considered building a reusable Mars rocket (like the Starship) but the problem I keep encountering is where does the heatshield go? It can't be detachable, can't go under the engines and the rocket has to look decent, no weird asymmetrical things sticking out.
Side mounted heatshield? Just like STS and Starship, it provides space for second stage engines, docking ports, more stability (?), and bleeds more speed than a normal heatshield-under-rocket in an atmospheric entry. For looks, it could be the size of a hair, so it doesn't stand up too much.

I'm using a cheat to not do that
Don't get me wrong though, I primarily use that cheat solely for the retrorockets. I can design a stage so that the upper descent stage doesn't... y'know... Jamestown, but I think it's awful since it's going to impact the ground below it, forcing me to use the stage outside of the landing proper so that the landing site is not littered with debris like it would be IRL.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I'm using a cheat to not do that
Don't get me wrong though, I primarily use that cheat solely for the retrorockets. I can design a stage so that the upper descent stage doesn't... y'know... Jamestown, but I think it's awful since it's going to impact the ground below it, forcing me to use the stage outside of the landing proper so that the landing site is not littered with debris like it would be IRL.
You can condense your post into like this.

Remember forum is not just like a chat or discord that you can rapidly message under a minute

Just use +Quote if you want to reply with many people in a single post

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Here is a concept of a reusable launcher:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-26-20-37-12.jpg

It's beautiful isn't it?
Not at all, lol!
200w.gif

It can easily fly to orbit:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-26-20-38-13.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-26-20-39-35.jpg

Now let's test reentry:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-26-20-42-53.jpg
The job is well done. Which I'm glad about, as it was hard to find a configuration that would allow the engines to thrust without burning anything, and in a way that they would be protected on reentry.

Now the landing:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-26-20-43-36.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-26-20-44-02.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-26-20-44-32.jpg

Yeah, I still have to work on this part. Hey, at least I partially recovered it :p

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Lol! More innovative than ARCA Space, and happily practical as well...

Wondering, did you calculate the losses due to the angling? Knowing you, I guess you already know.:D

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Lol! More innovative than ARCA Space, and happily practical as well...

Wondering, did you calculate the losses due to the angling? Knowing you, I guess you already know.:D
Haha thanks! But ARCA Space is still my master in terms of innovation :p

For the losses due to the angle they are quite low. The engines are angled by 15°, so the part of the thrust oriented downwards is equal to cos(15°) × full thrust. And cos(15°) is approximately 0.966. So this represents 3.4% of losses, which is very acceptable.

But this was hard to find a suitable setup, especially that when gimballing the engines are more inclined to burn the tanks o_O

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
New attempt at making a stage reusable. Now in IRIS!
Here is again that wonderful rocket, but with a second stage this time:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-27-00-36-39.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-27-00-37-49.jpg

Separation:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-27-00-44-44.jpg

And return to the launchpad for the first stage:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-27-00-45-45.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-27-00-49-04.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-27-00-49-25.jpg
It's not that bad...

Meanwhile, the second stage reaches orbit:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-27-00-49-56.jpg
This is a success this time!

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
View attachment 87705 View attachment 87706

Separation:
View attachment 87707

View attachment 87708 View attachment 87709 View attachment 87710
It's not that bad...

View attachment 87711
Is the second stage meant to be reusable?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Haha thanks! But ARCA Space is still my master in terms of innovation :p

For the losses due to the angle they are quite low. The engines are angled by 15°, so the part of the thrust oriented downwards is equal to cos(15°) × full thrust. And cos(15°) is approximately 0.966. So this represents 3.4% of losses, which is very acceptable.

But this was hard to find a suitable setup, especially that when gimballing the engines are more inclined to burn the tanks o_O
Ah, trigonometry is amazing.
Only 3.4% losses is a lot less than you might guess by visually looking at the engines!

View attachment 87705 View attachment 87706

Separation:
View attachment 87707

View attachment 87708 View attachment 87709 View attachment 87710
It's not that bad...

View attachment 87711
Nice improvement! And return to launch site in addition!

You can see that this one isn't. Who knows about version 3 however?:oops:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Not yet, it has no heat shields, it would be destroyed on reentry. But that's the intention, that was to perform a first test. However that test shows that I only have 10% of fuel remaining, that doesn't leave a lot of margin...

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Not yet, it has no heat shields, it would be destroyed on reentry. But that's the intention, that was to perform a first test. However that test shows that I only have 10% of fuel remaining, that doesn't leave a lot of margin...
Yea

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
When you try to land a booster close to the launchpad and THIS happens:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-27-22-56-40.jpg

Seriously, what were the odds for that?!