Ravioli, Retardation & Riddles

Of cours, I’m hoping Altaïr is still in on it
He forgot how to compensate for pressure head loss. You know what that means? If we get on that rocket, we're FHACKED.

Its gonna explode and everyone's gonna confuse us for flat earthers trying to see the curvature. Also, we forgot to tell Altair how to LAND on Kazakhstan without turning into pancakes, since we're gonna be flying supersonic, ejection is out of the option.

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
He forgot how to compensate for pressure head loss. You know what that means? If we get on that rocket, we're FHACKED.

Its gonna explode and everyone's gonna confuse us for flat earthers trying to see the curvature. Also, we forgot to tell Altair how to LAND on Kazakhstan without turning into pancakes, since we're gonna be flying supersonic, ejection is out of the option.
Well fuck

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend

Well, I'll need a teacher there. Anyway, I hope I can at least beat Mad Mike :)

Well unless you're this guy, who as far as I'm aware is the only survivor of a supersonic punch out

https://www.military.com/video/airc...15-ejection-at-supersonic-speed/1111680507001

And when I say survived, the act of introducing himself from still air to supersonic pressure wave nearly tore his body apart
This reminded me of something.

If Russia is to see the launch of a massive rocket from France, which is a NATO country I think, would that start WW3? If that's the case, I'll think we'll take the train instead.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
If Russia is to see the launch of a massive rocket from France, which is a NATO country I think, would that start WW3? If that's the case, I'll think we'll take the train instead.
Nah. As long as you're not launching from a known ICBM silo location (France is a NATO nation and a nuclear player as well, but I'm not sure if they still use land based launchers or like the British have gone for subs) then the Russians launch detection satellites won't get into a flap about it. And there's probably a gentlemans agreement between the ESA/NASA, the Russians, Chinese etc that they'll let each other know when they're doing a launch or a bench test somewhere new.

Otherwise every rocketry club in the western world would be setting off MAD responses.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Nah. As long as you're not launching from a known ICBM silo location (France is a NATO nation and a nuclear player as well, but I'm not sure if they still use land based launchers or like the British have gone for subs) then the Russians launch detection satellites won't get into a flap about it. And there's probably a gentlemans agreement between the ESA/NASA, the Russians, Chinese etc that they'll let each other know when they're doing a launch or a bench test somewhere new.

Otherwise every rocketry club in the western world would be setting off MAD responses.
We have submarines for sure, but about land-based launch sites I don't know. But what's sure is that a civil launcher won't be launched from France itself, they launch from Guiana in South America.

And yeah, there should be some notifications when a civil launch happens, not only for that, but also to close the flight space around the launcher's trajectory for example.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
And yeah, there should be some notifications when a civil launch happens, not only for that, but also to close the flight space around the launcher's trajectory for example.
Yeah, absolutely. You have to book a ROZ up to 16,000ft just to fire a 81mm mortar, never mind throwing a payload into orbit. Firing HIMARS (the truck based version of the MRLS) involves putting a set of goalposts a mile either side of a target, drawing a line from there back to the launcher (max range, 250 miles) and clearing everything out of that airspace from the ground up.

I don't even want to know the size of the ROZ you'd need for a multi-stage rocket launch, or back when they'd throw STS up, with SRBs and ETs coming down and a potential un-powered shuttle divert.

But what's sure is that a civil launcher won't be launched from France itself, they launch from Guiana in South America.
That, I didn't know. I take it you guys don't like doing things like that on home soil?

But the rocket is homemade.
Yeah but as I said, as long as it's not being fired somewhere silly like next an old ICBM silo in the UK, then it should be fine. Like when Top Gear fired a Reliant Robin Space Shuttle, it involved (at the time) the largest European non-commercial rocket launch, but i'd be surprised if they gave NORAD and the russian equivalents a ring beforehand.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yeah, absolutely. You have to book a ROZ up to 16,000ft just to fire a 81mm mortar, never mind throwing a payload into orbit. Firing HIMARS (the truck based version of the MRLS) involves putting a set of goalposts a mile either side of a target, drawing a line from there back to the launcher (max range, 250 miles) and clearing everything out of that airspace from the ground up.

I don't even want to know the size of the ROZ you'd need for a multi-stage rocket launch, or back when they'd throw STS up, with SRBs and ETs coming down and a potential un-powered shuttle divert.
Yep, I don't know this myself, but apart from the flight space they also close navigation in a given zone. Because boosters or first stage fall back in the ocean, and there's a risk of a malfunction during the launch, so the whole rocket can fall back.

That, I didn't know. I take it you guys don't like doing things like that on home soil?
I believe it was once considered to launch from France (to be verified!), but Guiana has been chosen because it has lots of qualities (a part of Guiana is french): it's near the equator, so the same launcher has extra capacity because of this. Another advantage is that the ocean is on the east side. Rockets are generally launched eastwards, because Earth rotates from west to east, and the launcher benefits from the extra speed. In case of an early failure the launcher will fall back in the ocean (or boosters anyway), which reduces the risk of casualties. If we launched from Europe that would be very complicated, we would probably have to launch westwards like Israël does to avoid that kind of risk, but then it reduces the launcher's capacity. By the way, Russia is at the East of Europe, and in the end of the cold war it would have probably been a very bad idea to launch towards east from Europe.

Now there are some constraints because of this. The launcher parts are made in Europe and then they are shipped to Guiana to be assembled there. Those are a lot of extra-costs in the end. That doesn't seem very important, but because of Space X performing launches at low cost, Ariane 5 has suffered a lot from this for a few years (not as much as the Proton though), so it also has its drawbacks.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
You can't do geostationary (Ariane's bread and butter) from France.