TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
MOTY 2022
There’s an official challenge on the subreddit so here are the rules:

[Week 1] r/SpaceFlightSimulator Weekly Challanges#1 - 20k Challange

[In celebration of hitting 20,000 members, we recently introduced weekly challenges.]( https://www.reddit.com/r/SpaceflightSimulator/comments/mxxhrv )

Listen up astronauts! This is the first Challenge! Everyone can also take part and face the greatest adventure. You will face three increasingly difficult challenges, which will push you and your best rocket to the limits.

Be warned though, the jury doesn't tolerate cheating, so leave your cheats, blueprint skills in the hangar. You can, however, take full advantage of all the grid size and parts enhancements!

1. Stages:The competition starts with a race, to outrun your opponents you need to be fast, so buckle up and reach over 20km/s.
2. When you have mastered the race you will reach the second challenge. Use a rocket to launch a space station into solar orbit at an altitude of 20,000 km. (Edit: To make it clear here, a spacestation has to have 1 solar panel and 1 docking Port)
3. If you want to show the jury your final skills, you can impress them with the fact that this rocket weighs exactly 20,000 kg. (Edit: We changed it so the payload has to weight exactly 20,000kg)

In order for us to be able to evaluate your results, you have to record your flight. To do this, record your screen. If you don't know how to do this, check the Internet for your specific device, please avoid using software which adds big watermarks. When you have completed your challenges, send us the videos using this [form](20k Celebration Contest). The judges will then evaluate your videos and you will get the challenge flair.

The challenge flair will add up every week for the amount of challenges you did

Good luck!

Edit:
For difficulty reasons a small amount of part clipping is allowed! Just don’t clip 200 engines in one. And as some may have misunderstood : You can use different rockets for the different stages but you don’t have too!

And if you want a good example:
Thank you u/NightShadeLuke : [Video](
)

This challenge was posted 3 days ago, so we have 4 days to complete the challenge. Im posting it here as I’m more likely to receive actually helpful help on the forums than asking on the discord server.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Stages:The competition starts with a race, to outrun your opponents you need to be fast, so buckle up and reach over 20km/s.
Yay. A speedrun. How original. Because they have no idea how space works, they've neglected to mention where you should attain this speed, so a simple VEEGA out to Jupiter and then collapse the perihelion as close to the sun as you dare.
Nailed.

If you want to show the jury your final skills, you can impress them with the fact that this rocket weighs exactly 20,000 kg
Yeah, confirmed they don't have a bloody clue what they're talking about.

We changed it so the payload has to weight exactly 20,000kg
So, 20 tons then? Unless there's a way of making 20,005kg that I don't know about.

When you have mastered the race you will reach the second challenge. Use a rocket to launch a space station into solar orbit at an altitude of 20,000 km
I'm not quite sure they understand what this involves. My weak 1.4.06 Suns orbital velocity at 20,000km is just shy of 44,000m/s. To achieve this, you're going to need ΔV numbers well into 5 figures.
Gravity assists ain't gonna save you, because you can't use them lower than Mercury, and that orbits at just shy of 9km/s around the sun.
So you're gonna have to make up the deficit propulsively.
Which means lots of ions and lots of stages, since the suns gravity is stronger in 1.5 and the orbital velocity is higher still.
And sitting there for several days waiting for your ions to burn.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
I'm not quite sure they understand what this involves. My weak 1.4.06 Suns orbital velocity at 20,000km is just shy of 44,000m/s. To achieve this, you're going to need ΔV numbers well into 5 figures.
Gravity assists ain't gonna save you, because you can't use them lower than Mercury, and that orbits at just shy of 9km/s around the sun.
Which means lots of ions and lots of stages, since the suns gravity is stronger in 1.5 and the orbital velocity is higher still.
Yeah, I was reading through this part of the challenge the other day asking myself what in the world they were thinking. Putting anything into a 20,000km solar orbit is an incredibly challenging task, let alone putting a station there. I highly doubt anyone on the subreddit is gonna be doing that one cheat free.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yeah, I was reading through this part of the challenge the other day asking myself what in the world they were thinking. Putting anything into a 20,000km solar orbit is an incredibly challenging task, let alone putting a station there. I highly doubt anyone on the subreddit is gonna be doing that one cheat free.
Yeah. Granted it was down to 1,000km, but Altair barely managed it with 5 tons. And needed nearly an entire day of ion burns

anyone remember that thing
No.

In fact, yes. You should try this. Apparently you throw kiloton launch vehicles into low solar orbit all the time, so this should be easy for you.
Unless the dog ate the blueprint for your rocket again?

yonkee

Queen of Awesome
Staff member
Team Kolibri
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
MOTY 2022
Yay. A speedrun. How original. Because they have no idea how space works, they've neglected to mention where you should attain this speed, so a simple VEEGA out to Jupiter and then collapse the perihelion as close to the sun as you dare.
Nailed.

Yeah, confirmed they don't have a bloody clue what they're talking about.

So, 20 tons then? Unless there's a way of making 20,005kg that I don't know about.

Yeah this challenge was pretty easy just some ion engines and youre good
Wish I recorded it guess I’ll have to do it again
75F0EC83-5D95-49AE-97FD-5EF430AD1034.png

it’s actually simpler than a VEEGA, I just did a lunar gravity assist and than used ion engines to get into a low elliptical solar orbit

yonkee

Queen of Awesome
Staff member
Team Kolibri
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
MOTY 2022
Y

You don't even need ion engines. 30t of fuel and a valiant engine will get you from LEO to 20km/s, no problem.
True but I greatly overestimated how much delta v or whatever was required and didn’t want to re-design anything so I went way overkill just to make sure

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Wow, that's an... unusual challenge to say the least.

The first part is quite easy with the good flight path. Horus beats me to it, but a simple 2 stage rockets can do it. The 2 stage rockets given in the game as example is perfect.

The second challenge is completely mad o_O

That reminds me when I had to reach a solar orbit below 1000×1000 km.

If you want to spread the information on reddit, I've calculated that you would need 30540 m/s of delta-V just to circularize your orbit at 20000 km above the Sun. This is calculated assuming you used VEEGA to reach Jupiter, and a backwards gravity assist to lower your perihelion to 20000 km, which is, to my knowledge, the most efficient way to do it, and by far.

Just to give you an idea about what you would need to do this, you can have a look at this mission: There's a new rank around here...
You would need something relatively similar. The difference is that my payload weighs 4.8 tons, but I also had to spend 37800 m/s (roughly 7200 more). From my calculations, by adding 15.2 tons to the payload (to go to 20) this launcher could have done it.

But believe me it was insane, I needed more than 6 hours of burn time, and this with 20 ion engines.

And the third challenge made me laugh, is the fact of having exactly 20 tons of payload supposed to be really impressive in comparison with sending it in solar orbit? :rolleyes:

yonkee

Queen of Awesome
Staff member
Team Kolibri
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
MOTY 2022

The first part is quite easy with the good flight path. Horus beats me to it, but a simple 2 stage rockets can do it. The 2 stage rockets given in the game as example is perfect.

If you want to spread the information on reddit, I've calculated that you would need 30540 m/s of delta-V just to circularize your orbit at 20000 km above the Sun. This is calculated assuming you used VEEGA to reach Jupiter, and a backwards gravity assist to lower your perihelion to 20000 km, which is, to my knowledge, the most efficient way to do it, and by far.

Just to give you an idea about what you would need to do this, you can have a look at this mission: There's a new rank around here...
You would need something relatively similar. The difference is that my payload weighs 4.8 tons, but I also had to spend 37800 m/s (roughly 7200 more). From my calculations, by adding 15.2 tons to the payload (to go to 20) this launcher could have done it.

But believe me it was insane, I needed more than 6 hours of burn time, and this with 20 ion engines.

And the third challenge made me laugh, is the fact of having exactly 20 tons of payload supposed to be really impressive in comparison with sending it in solar orbit? :rolleyes:
Agreed you would think the higher tier challenges would be harder
I originally thought you had to do all 3 of the challenges in one go which seemed insane to me

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

Yeah man. The whole thing stinks of 'you didn't try this one out before you set it, did you?'

I originally thought you had to do all 3 of the challenges in one go which seemed insane to me
Doing all three is no more difficult than doing them separately. Get a 20t payload. Send it out to jupiter. Lower your perihelion to 20,000km. Timewarp to perihelion to break the 20km/s speed run (by an enormous margin). Then lower your apoapsis down to 20,000km.

All three challenges complete in one go.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Just the second is already insane, especially if you take into account the constraint from the third one. But if you do it the first is automatically done: the orbital speed at 20000 km is 73906 km/s.

Yeah man. The whole thing stinks of 'you didn't try this one out before you set it, did you?'
Kinda, though we are still below the "Dyson sphere challenge" level :p

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Tier 1: get to the moon and back
Tier 2: send 250 500 ton space stations in a low solar orbit
Tier 3: get to Mars and back
I would suggest the following one:
- Send a probe in LEO...
- ... then send it in low solar orbit...
- ... and return it to Earth

At least the difficulty increases from one challenge to another. Problem is, it increases exponentially!

It's funny, we had countless mad challenges, but nobody ever thought about asking to return :rolleyes:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Well apparently it's so easy, it's already been done several times. And none of us know how to play the game because we thought it was stupid.

Screenshot_20210429-012853_Reddit.jpg

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Well apparently it's so easy, it's already been done several times. And none of us know how to play the game because we thought it was stupid.

View attachment 61949
Ah, you’re using the alt account I see. Did the Warmaster get banned or something?

This whole interaction is just painful to read.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Ah, you’re using the alt account I see. Did the Warmaster get banned or something?
Different tablet and I couldn't remember my login details.

I've a few reddit accounts scattered about cos I never bother remembering them. 2 of them are these random name ones, there's 'definitely-not-alpharious' and finally the infamous warmaster.

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Different tablet and I couldn't remember my login details.

I've a few reddit accounts scattered about cos I never bother remembering them. 2 of them are these random name ones, there's 'definitely-not-alpharious' and finally the infamous warmaster.
Yeah, remembering passwords is a pain.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Nawwww, they deleted all my posts.

Or did they...

Screenshot_20210429-023518_Reddit.jpg

Last edited:

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Nawwww, they deleted all my posts.
Sigh. I’ve always felt the Reddit mods to be a bit lacking. Whether it’s leaving a blatant apk link up for well over 24 hours, or deleting posts which question the integrity of their challenges, I’ve always found it to be disappointing.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Sigh. I’ve always felt the Reddit mods to be a bit lacking. Whether it’s leaving a blatant apk link up for well over 24 hours, or deleting posts which question the integrity of their challenges, I’ve always found it to be disappointing.
It's a shame. Things were just getting fun.

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
It's a shame. Things were just getting fun.
I mean, they aren’t even gonna try and defend themselves or prove their points and side of the argument. It’s their community, they can do what they want, but to just delete quality well thought out content (something rare for that sub) is really just a shame.