Regarding the Intellectual Property on the Forums

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Due to recent events, the Forum’s Moderation Team and Administration has decided to make a declaration regarding the property of certain files, media and documents on the forum. Our objective is to protect the original creators of these files, media and documents from thievery and misappropriation.

The SFS community has a great potential to share rockets, planets and any kind of creative stuff. However, some good practices should apply to ensure that property rights are respected. That's why we ask people to explicitely give credits to the owner when they use their work. A simple mention "Credits to XYZ" is enough.

In the particular case in which the original creator is unknown (which can happen when finding ‘’who posted it first’’ is difficult. It happens a lot with planet textures.) a mention “credits to X”, or “I’m not the creator” (for example) shall be used.

Not complying with this is a fault, and though it can be tolerated if it happens once, multiple violations may lead to a sanction. In particular, downloading a file, reposting it and claiming explicitly being the owner is considered a steal, and will be punished with maximum severity (permanent ban).

On the other hand, accidentally forgetting to give credit will be treated more lightly. As an example, an user that posts the credit afterwards because forgot to and apologizes will be most likely forgiven.

From now on, these rules protect and apply to:

-Blueprints (full or a significant part of it).
-Planet Packs (full or a significant part of it. Includes Planet Data, Textures, Terrain Data, etc.)
-Quicksaves. (a file not tipically posted, but protected nonetheless. The Mercury Landing quicksave for Team Hawk is not included here).
-Tutorials (including any media they contain. Because a tutorial requires a lot of effort and creativity).
-Mods. 1.35 mods and any future authorized mods. This does not apply to illegal modifications.
-Texture packs. Meaning the ones for 1.35, any future authorized packs that might come in the future.

In the case of art, images and other media the moderation team will decide for every specific case, based especially on the file's value and the amount of work that went into it. (Obviously, you protect more a highly complex diagram for an interplanetary mission, than a meme/low effort joke or image). All options are included in these cases, from no sanction to Perma-Ban.

There is no need to give credit when recreating a real life design (Hell, imagine if people has to say ‘credits to Elon’ whenever they post a Falcon 9/Starship), and it will not be considered property violation.

These rules can and will be updated in the future, to include specific cases that may happen up ahead.

That’s all. Thank you for reading till the end (only IF you read till the end, if not you really should do it). Enjoy the rest of your day and happy sharing! :)

Credits: Altaïr, Blazer and Gecko Gekkota.

Last edited:

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
I support this decision. Making it formal is a good step in the right direction!

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
You should have post this earlier

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yes, James. You are right, we should do what you say, we should have you there leading the forum. Things would be much faster, better and precise if you were in charge. We definitely need your advice, your guide, your advising.
Now that I'm thinking about it, there would have been a simple solution to know exactly what needs to be done.

Call the SFS GUIDE !!!

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I'm wondering, why you give credits to yourself?

Timmy

Registered
From now on, these rules protect and apply to:

-Blueprints (full or a significant part of it).
-Planet Packs (full or a significant part of it. Includes Planet Data, Textures, Terrain Data, etc.)
-Quicksaves. (a file not tipically posted, but protected nonetheless. The Mercury Landing quicksave for Team Hawk is not included here).
-Tutorials (including any media they contain. Because a tutorial requires a lot of effort and creativity).
I think they should also apply to mods and texture packs.