Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Screenshot_20220805-165230_Spaceflight Simulatordraw.jpg

Looks like that:
  1. You need to move the 2nd stage engine (and the bottom of the second stage tank, and everything else at the bottom of the second stage) downwards by about 0.3-0.5m, by inserting more tank for the second stage (making it longer)
  2. Shrink the first stage engine some more, but leave it located where it currently is (in other words, the top of the engine is in the right place, but the bottom of the engine is too far down)
  3. Drain some fuel from the first and second stage to bring the mass down to, perhaps 40t?
  4. Needs a payload attachment point and a small payload (5t?) for demonstration that it works.

EmberSkyMedia

PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
View attachment 88902
Looks like that:
  1. You need to move the 2nd stage engine (and the bottom of the second stage tank, and everything else at the bottom of the second stage) downwards by about 0.3-0.5m, by inserting more tank for the second stage (making it longer)
  2. Shrink the first stage engine some more, but leave it located where it currently is (in other words, the top of the engine is in the right place, but the bottom of the engine is too far down)
  3. Drain some fuel from the first and second stage to bring the mass down to, perhaps 40t?
  4. Needs a payload attachment point and a small payload (5t?) for demonstration that it works.
Apologies to jump in here...
Falcon 1 Payload is ~0.5T not 5T. I tested with my successful entry, 5T payload and I can't even make it to space (maybe with a mod engine but not stock).

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
You're giving falcon 1 too much credit, it was more like 200kg to sun synchronous orbit in real life.

As it is, the in this thread here should be able to carry at least 10% of its mass in payload if you analyse its components.
A 5t payload is actually a bit on the light side for it.:p

I'd specify a smaller payload if that's what this rocket was actually only capable of, via less fuel and more ballast. But not less than it ought to be able to carry in real life.
And it would indeed be more accurate that way, except for the fact that the SFS solar system is 1:20 scale... So do you scale the payload mass up to compensate?o_O

I'd expect an SFS falcon 1 to carry 200kg... in IRIS.

Space_geek25

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
You're giving falcon 1 too much credit, it was more like 200kg to sun synchronous orbit in real life.

As it is, the in this thread here should be able to carry at least 10% of its mass in payload if you analyse its components.
A 5t payload is actually a bit on the light side for it.:p

I'd specify a smaller payload if that's what this rocket was actually only capable of, via less fuel and more ballast. But not less than it ought to be able to carry in real life.
And it would indeed be more accurate that way, except for the fact that the SFS solar system is 1:20 scale... So do you scale the payload mass up to compensate?o_O

I'd expect an SFS falcon 1 to carry 200kg... in IRIS.
I don't have IRIS so I tried to carry 13t ( 20% of the Launcher mass) in LEO and I made it.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Nice. :)
Include a test like that when you post your revised rocket.

Space_geek25

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Here's the V2:
2nd stage 0,3m longer
Added a docking port to connect payload
Less fuel ( mass = 45t)
Smaller 1st stage engine ( 1,5 m instead of 1,8)
Screenshot_20220808-125149_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220808-125159_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220808-125224_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

It can send 5t to LEO
Screenshot_20220808-125219_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220808-125446_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220808-125602_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20220808-125610_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Attachments

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Ah, when you increased the height of the second stage tank, you left the second stage engine where it was, and moved the top of the rocket upwards. So now it's longer.

What you should have done was leave the top of the rocket in the same place, and move the second stage engine and the other stuff downwards, keeping the overall length of the rocket the same and slightly shortening the interstage of the first stage.
Just post a photo of it fixed and I'll look it over for final approval.

Space_geek25

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Ah, when you increased the height of the second stage tank, you left the second stage engine where it was, and moved the top of the rocket upwards. So now it's longer.

What you should have done was leave the top of the rocket in the same place, and move the second stage engine and the other stuff downwards, keeping the overall length of the rocket the same and slightly shortening the interstage of the first stage.
Just post a photo of it fixed and I'll look it over for final approval.
Screenshot_20220808-151516_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

EmberSkyMedia

PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Falcon 1 would also have had a much better mass fraction than our SFS rockets, so we need to make allowances.