Rework of the Frontier Challenges

What challenges will replace the replica thing?

• Voyager Quest

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • 4k and beyond

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Icarus Dive

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Salyut-Venus

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Alright everyone, the long wait is over! Here it is, the finished Voyager Quest challenge!:

Voyager Quest:

Overview:
This is an efficient design challenge. The objective is to send a probe, weighting 25 tons, to interstellar space. The blueprint of the payload will be supplied, is compatible with base game, and previous versions of SFS, including 1.35. Starting position is the launchpad. Gravity assists ARE NOT allowed, just direct burn. Ion engines are banned too, just chemical engines.

As you know, it is meant to replace the replica challenge, meaning that no new Frontier replicas will be accepted. The replica challenge with its Copycat badge will be moved to Team Hawk, so it's not mandatory.

Mission:
  1. Launch the supplied probe and reach solar escape velocity.

Rules:
  • Use only the supplied probe, or your recreation of it, no custom payload.
  • The mass of the launch vehicle for the entire mission is 250 tons. Meaning that the vehicle you spawn on the launchpad cannot be heavier than 250 tons (payload included).
  • Gravity assists are not allowed, just direct burns.
  • Ion engines are absolutely forbidden. Just chemical engines.
  • Cheats are forbidden.
  • Nothing (except obviously dumped stages) must be damaged.
  • BP Editing/Part Clipping is allowed, but engine modifying is forbidden.
  • Default ‘Stock’ Solar System must be used, although both visual-only modifications are allowed.

Mission reward:

Completing this mission unlocks the following badge:
Screenshot_2021-07-09-08-49-43-698.jpg

Also, here's the new Copycat badge for Team Hawk!
Screenshot_2021-07-09-08-50-05-787.jpg

How do I prove that I did the mission?

Altaïr has calculated the minimal velocity for a solar escape trajectory at Mars' level, this means that our way to check if your probe is escaping the Solar System or not is to compare your probe's speed at Mars' level with Altaïr's calculated value. If the speed is equal or higher, you are in Solar Escape trajectory, therefore you've passed the challenge. If it's less, then you are still in orbit, then you've failed the challenge.

This speed is 7250 m/s.

This means that a screenshot, on map view, when your craft crosses the orbit of Mars is absolutely mandatory.

As for the submissions, any format is fine (screenshots, videos, other), but whatever you submit must show at least these key points of the flight:
  • Building grid (so we can see the total mass)
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Map View when crossing the orbit of Mars. (This one is absolutely essential).

Frequently Asked Questions!

Q. Does this means I have to redo Team Frontier/Hawk again?
A. No. If you already have Team Frontier or Hawk, you don't have to redo them. However, the people who still haven't passed Frontier must know that no other Frontier replica submission will be accepted. The replica challenge now belongs to Team Hawk.

Q. But... but... but... Replicating rockets is very important!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does this means is the end of the replica challenge??? :(
A. No, it isn't. Also, is not the end of the replica challenge, you can still try it for Team Hawk.

Q. Awwwwwwwwwwww man... But I have a Frontier replica awaiting for review.... Did I waste the 5 minutes/days/months/years I spent making it?
A. Is your decision. Since you already submitted your replica and is awaiting for review, you can either stick with it, for Frontier, or attempt the Voyaquer Quest challenge, get Frontier and submit your replica for Team Hawk. No, your effort is not lost.

Q: How much delta-V do I need to escape the solar system?
A: 1856 m/s starting from LEO.

Target speed at Mars level: 7250 m/s

For any question, feel free to ask in this thread below.

Hawk

Alliance’s Defender
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Can any of you read FAQ that I made especifically for those questions, cause I knew they were coming?
Actually having to read to find something!? That’s waaaayyyy too hard. I’d rather you just tell me how to deal with my dire replica situation again for the tenth time

Nagini

ssssnake // has nothing against SpaceX replicas
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Actually having to read to find something!? That’s waaaayyyy too hard. I’d rather you just tell me how to deal with my dire replica situation again for the tenth time
Of course! They don’t even tell me how much delta-v it takes!

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
That's one of the RAQ questions Blazer answered in the post.