Scottish aerospace

T

TomaJo

This 'ocesene' however is much less efficient and so more of it is needed to reach orbit with the same payload. Therefore something like the Orbex rocket has a similar impact on the environment than the Skyrora XL because it uses much less fuel.
Thank you, I didn't know that. But I still like them for their tenacity.
Still, bringing projects to the final tests during this very difficult year for everyone means something.
What do you think of a micro tug?
It is marketed as a fairly versatile device, as far as I understand.
This has been tested as a third stage quite recently.
Here it is:
Skyrora reveal new UK-built vehicle in live test | Skyrora

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Thank you, I didn't know that. But I still like them for their tenacity.
Still, bringing projects to the final tests during this very difficult year for everyone means something.
What do you think of a micro tug?
It is marketed as a fairly versatile device, as far as I understand.
This has been tested as a third stage quite recently.
Here it is:
Skyrora reveal new UK-built vehicle in live test | Skyrora
Well personally i think any sort of orbital tug is a fantastic idea because it means smaller , cheaper vehicles can do amazing things far beyond what they would otherwise be capable of. I think in general spaceflight , it would open a lot of doors.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
A good step toward a ‘general service existence’ in space,
Not sure how to put it clearly, but making me think of a critical mass of orbital craft in the future where things can be utilized as an impromptu community up there rather than rigidly targeted missions

T

TtTOtW

Not sure how to put it clearly, but making me think of a critical mass of orbital craft in the future where things can be utilized as an impromptu community up there rather than rigidly targeted missions
I always have a drone ready...

T

TtTOtW

Hahaha! Ok let's see... 4 on the ground. No, 5. 4 MDDs of two designs... and a fuel drop drone from before we were established. That machine worked really hard, even if only twice. So... 10, actually. 8 of which are in actual service.

Edit: 13, actually... the Discovery 2 on board service drones. One each, so 3. Total 13.

T

TomaJo

It sounds like: I want a complete infrastructure in space.
And that would be great. Several rocket refuelling stations. Several base stations for space tugs. At least one large emergency repair station. I think someday this will also be possible.
Back in 2009, scientists announced the existence of gravitational corridors. If you get into them, then the ship can travel with practically no energy consumption.
Have you heard something new about this?

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
It sounds like: I want a complete infrastructure in space.
And that would be great. Several rocket refuelling stations. Several base stations for space tugs. At least one large emergency repair station. I think someday this will also be possible.
Back in 2009, scientists announced the existence of gravitational corridors. If you get into them, then the ship can travel with practically no energy consumption.
Have you heard something new about this?
is it the highway on space?

T

TomaJo

is it the highway on space?
Yes, this is a highway in space. That's what they called it. The truth is still no one knows what to do with this discovery. After all, if they knew, then many missions would be significantly accelerated. Perhaps Preservance would have landed long ago. And much more.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Yes, this is a highway in space. That's what they called it. The truth is still no one knows what to do with this discovery. After all, if they knew, then many missions would be significantly accelerated. Perhaps Preservance would have landed long ago. And much more.
The thing is, this is interesting true, but this brings us nowhere near other stars. Other planets, maybe. But to go interstellar, we really need to break that light speed... and maybe even break a couple of physics laws around the way, why not?

I understand that this thread is mainly devoted to spacecraft, but I want to share my emotions with someone. Skyrora greatly surprised me recently when I found out about their new additive technology Aerospace Additive Manufacturing Services | Skyrora. The use of 3D printing in the aerospace industry isn't new, but Skyprint 1 is a breakthrough in this technology. This 3D printing machine can print details from several materials. I suppose that it can enhance the characteristics of the resulting material.