Sent a rover to The Graveyard

Akuma

Man on the Moon
Registered
I landed a rover on Mercury after accidentally triggering an encounter with the planet when trying to send the third stage of my rocket to the Sun after finishing doing tests with it.
Screenshot_20210409_144729.jpg

Screenshot_20210409_144737.jpg

The ship actually crashed even before this and it spun around for a bit in a... Hill-like trajectory, I guess. I don't know how to describe them.

Unrelated question: Should I go to LEO when trying to go to Mars or can I just fly straight up until I escape the Earth's SOI?

I landed a rover on Mercury after accidentally triggering an encounter with the planet when trying to send the third stage of my rocket to the Sun after finishing doing tests with it.
View attachment 60108
View attachment 60107

The ship actually crashed even before this and it spun around for a bit in a... Hill-like trajectory, I guess. I don't know how to describe them.

Unrelated question: Should I go to LEO when trying to go to Mars or can I just fly straight up until I escape the Earth's SOI?
Yes from leo you can do everything with burning and encounters vbtter

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
View attachment 60108
View attachment 60107

It's easier to go to Mars if you will burn on LEO

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
So much to unpack here. You had a rover on your sun investigation rocket...? Intending on doing a landing on the enormous ball of thermonuclear fire?

Hill-like trajectory, I guess. I don't know how to describe them.
A parabolic trajectory. Or an arc.

No. Always get into LEO first, irrespective of destination.

Always.

Akuma

Man on the Moon
Registered
Ohhh, alright. Thanks, guys.

So much to unpack here. You had a rover on your sun investigation rocket...? Intending on doing a landing on the enormous ball of thermonuclear fire?
Nope, it was for a mars rocket. Testing if my third stage can escape Earth without using any of its fuel. It did use fuel, so fail. Although now that you guys taught me, it's prolly cause I flew straight up. Anyways, I don't want that rover to just float around there. So instead of reverting back to launch or build, I came up with the great idea of disposing it into the Sun.

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
It's easier to go to Mars if you will burn on LEO
For mars i do 2 burns,
The first one in Low Earth Orbit to get a Trans Martian Injection.
The Second one in Solar Orbit for a more actuate encounter/Course Correction.

For mars i do 2 burns,
I do same but
I had a situation i got into moon and mars encounter
Thats kunda cool moon flyby and tgen mars

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
For mars i do 2 burns,
If he can go to moon safely... He can know the basic of it... Go to low earth orbit first then the rest is on what he learned when goin to moon....