Should Stef add Plane and SSTO parts?

S

Spacey1100

I really hope Stef adds SSTO parts, it would be cool. We could also make Shuttles as well.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Cockpits and wings?
Wings won't work in game without a horrendous amount of complex stuff going on. It's much more than just a case of 'add lift'.
Cockpits would be pretty, but would take away from the bit-part nature of SFS, same with any other pre-fabricated sections.

Jet engines as well
Some form of jet engine would be nice. But because of how heavy everything is in game, the thrust they'd need to generate to lift anything would be massive. And the engine would have to be massive as well.
For example, the most powerful turbine engine in the world is the GE90. Depending on specs, it's nearly 4 metres wide (8 squares in-game), 7 metres long (14 squares) and weighs 8.7 tons. For this, you get 569kN (according to the Guiness book of world records) of thrust.
Compared to in-game rocket engines, it gives you 30% more juice than a broadsword, for more than double the weight and 4 times the build space.

This wouldn't be a problem in a 3D game, as you could side by side them and create the thrust you needed that way. But in a 2D game, building a space plane from a side on perspective would limit you to 1 GE90 engine, maybe 2.
And they're not designed for speed, so they'd become useless over 300m/s or above 12,000m in game.

You could use the RR Olympus engines from Concorde. They're suited to high speed (Mach 2), high altitude (60,000m), high efficiency tasks. In-game, 750m/s ish, 20,000m. But they 'only' generated 142/169kN of thrust and with all the wing in the world, you're only getting 200t into the sky. Which isn't a lot.

And worse, they'd be shrank down (like all engines are in game compared to their real world counterparts), which means a real nerf-hammer as well to their capabilities.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Please watch everyday astronaut's video on why SSTOs suck. but I hope he still does as we would be able to make legitimate planes
You can make legitimate planes already.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I mean plane turbines
Haha, oh you were serious...?

I don't think any appropriately scaled air breathing turbine engines are going to be of any use with a 'space plane' in a 2 dimensional game. They're either going to be enormous, or generate so little thrust that they're not going to be worth the fuel.

And you'd need a runway.
And wing mechanics.
And moving aero surfaces.
And retracting wheeled gear.

When it's not really that hard to make a rocket powered SSTO and shape it like... Concorde

Some basic aero just to control booster detachment a bit in those hard situations

I’d rather have balloons than jets, way easier to add and more cohesive to the plot of the game

Other cockpits, Hab space and other building materials would be cool but I’d rather just get to 1.5 with regular equipment

Building outside the box is amusing but if you really want to build planes find a plane building game

Orion belt inc

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
I think cargo doors whould be cool to here is a lil sketch of the types there should be also I’m not drawing one for all sizes but that whould be a good thing to add
the scetch was made in a app called painter
Also a double sided version of the part on the bottom right whould be cool to also it whould open at a angle and you can choose what angle it whould be

Attachments

Last edited:

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Hmm, did you notice the dates on this thread?
It's been dead for 2 years and one day, with a slight bump in the middle by someone like you who didn't check the dates. At this point a new thread is probably better if you have something to contribute. :)

Orion belt inc

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
Hmm, did you notice the dates on this thread?
It's been dead for 2 years and one day, with a slight bump in the middle by someone like you who didn't check the dates. At this point a new thread is probably better if you have something to contribute. :)
I saw the date I just don’t wanna have to many treads taking up home page

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
This thread is in the pre-1.5 legacy section, so a new thread would definitely be better in this case.