Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
What's with the sideways kolibri? Balancing?

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
What's with the sideways kolibri? Balancing?
It was for balancing but I just tested it and the modifications I made since introducing it has made it redundant!

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Looks like you broke something at the shuttle's nose tip. To prevent that, use RCS to level your shuttle with the ground (I might've mislooked though).
I'm fairly sure I didn't but will have a check

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
It was for balancing but I just tested it and the modifications I made since introducing it has made it redundant!
Ok, so sounds like you can remove it then. :)

The heatshields behind the engine and above the nose seem unnecessary, perhaps you should remove them? If it's a "just in case" thing then it's definitely possible to make the shuttle less susceptible to tilting during re-entry.
That nose-down altitude you land with is pretty risky even if you didn't break anything. Either you could add more front parachutes or make the rear of the shuttle lighter, or... if you don't need that many parachutes to slow down, you can remove some from the rear. So there's 3 options there, it's up to you to decide on which is optimal.
Finally, according to prior precedents, go ahead and slap on a small tail where the kolibri was. :p

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Tried that I made all correction but still nose down is that OK
Ok, so sounds like you can remove it then. :)

The heatshields behind the engine and above the nose seem unnecessary, perhaps you should remove them? If it's a "just in case" thing then it's definitely possible to make the shuttle less susceptible to tilting during re-entry.
That nose-down altitude you land with is pretty risky even if you didn't break anything. Either you could add more front parachutes or make the rear of the shuttle lighter, or... if you don't need that many parachutes to slow down, you can remove some from the rear. So there's 3 options there, it's up to you to decide on which is optimal.
Finally, according to prior precedents, go ahead and slap on a small tail where the kolibri was. :p

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
It dont look like a shuttle disqualify him
Dang that tone... Can you bit less aggressive and demanding

The only authorized person can only say it's disqualified or not.

J

Judge Dredd

Are you a captain here? Im sorry he made me mad because he built a ugly thing and said its a shuttle but it wasnt

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Judge Dredd please cease interfering here, you do not have the right to call for a disqualification and to make unhelpful negative comments.
Make your own thread to show off your things if you wish, but here is not the place.
Further inappropriate behaviour may lead to sanctions.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I can see improvement, but there's still a ways to go.
1. Booster is way too big, if this is a LEO shuttle then it should land with minimum fuel (5-10%) left, for better deacceleration and handling.
2. It would be better to be able to open the payload bay door by pressing a docking port, so you're not relying on staging as much. With bp editing like you're already using, this should be easy by making the docking port peek a few tenths of a meter out of the fairing so that it is accessible.
3. Too many RCS on the door! You only need 2. ;)
3. Balancing again. It droops waaay too much on landing, and has a tendency to swing the rear forward on re-entry that gets exaggerated with lower fuel levels. The tank you put on the tail goes some way to solving the issue, but it's not optimal.
The best way to do this is to split the shuttle's tankage in half! One tank forwards, one tank rear. When you re-enter with 20-30% or so fuel left, you can distribute it between the forward and rear tanks for best balance. In your case, it might all end up in the forward tank.
Obviously a split tank complicates burning to orbit, since you have to do fuel transfer from the forward tank to the rear tank to feed the engines.
Solution: rear tank is big enough for getting to orbit, forward tank is big enough for the deorbit fuel and ballast fuel necessary.
In your case, it looks like you'll end up with a lot less tank in the front, and a lot more tank in the rear.
Try not to clip it, shuttles don't like to be very dense.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Now I'm in standin ovation and laughin with tears (imagine cres pfp XD)

Also guess guys we go BOT ;P

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
The entire video has been reduced in quality and sped up 2x. I could've made the booster even smaller but the assent would've been alot more difficult.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Considering the mass of your payload and the mass of your shuttle+booster, it either needs to prove itself with a 60-100t payload, or you need to lighten the shuttle to about... 300-400t?
The aim is about a minimum of 10-15% of its mass in payload to orbit.

This shouldn't be too hard to refine, you already arrive in orbit and land with a lot more fuel than you need, even accounting for balancing.
Either a smaller shuttle+booster with a similar sized bay and cargo capacity as you have now, or the same shuttle overhauled to take more payload.

I'd really work on reducing the size of the booster, that's the easy part. Additionally I didn't notice before, but your TWR is way too high, re-engine it so the TWR is closer to 1.6, and fly according to the angle indicator that the game gives you.