TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I guess shuttle replicas are hard
You don't really need to replicate that flawed shuttle to pass up a badge here.

All you have to do is build your own shuttle that can launch and orbit then land. Either way you can still either replicate it or nah.

spacedoge402

Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
You don't really need to replicate that flawed shuttle to pass up a badge here.

All you have to do is build your own shuttle that can launch and orbit then land. Either way you can still either replicate it or nah.
oh, so it can be a custom shuttle? (Not a recreation)

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
oh, so it can be a custom shuttle? (Not a recreation)
Yeah, for example, one I've submitted in shuttle is a custom one.

All you have to do is have a:
Payload bay
Plane like shape
And booster

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
You need to get into team titan, then into team frontier to get this badge or any other team hawk badges
Correct. :)

And now Judge Dredd (and this applies to the others who posted in response), it's time to leave this thread alone, it's not a general conversation thread. Make your own threads if you have something of your own to talk about.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Because yours is not in the right place.
Consider this a verbal warning to be respectful, and to stay on topic (which in this case means not posting here, because there isn't really anything to say).
Further sanctions may follow if you disregard this.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
If your wondering why progress is much slower it's because since getting team hawk I view these as challenges, things that have tangible goals that I can have fun with. Building my first orbital shuttle has made me learn alot if there are any more changes you would like please let me know so that I can add another badge to my collection!:)
P. S. I plan on going for the Reusability challenge next I'd really appreciate any tips to get started.

Last edited:

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
This is actually a very nice improvement, you've really trimmed off... actually, amputated unnecessary fuel and engines.:) and there's a lot of adjustability available now for re-entry and landing.

After testing it, I have some recommendations to show you how it can be improved some more. The bits marked in red circles can be left off without harmful effects.;)

Attachments

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Just a few more tweaks done as well as the one you mentioned I added a second set of Docking ports to the Payload door because, well, look at how much easier the door closing was... anyway here are the tweaks you wanted I look forward to trying out for the reausablity challenge! This is a brief mock up any tips?
Screenshot_20221012_190849_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg https://sharing.spaceflightsimulator.app/rocket/eXj-AEpYEe2VMS2XWYf3kQ

Attachments

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
There's still some more tuning you can do for the shuttle with regards to taking off unnecessary engines, parts and fuel, but it's a big improvement from the beginning so I think you deserve the badge now. :)
Remember this isn't the end, but the start of the beginning. :cool:
If you try a new design from scratch, I'm sure that will showcase your skill improvements.

As for the reusability one...
For starters you should optimise your first stage more for easy landing. So landing legs, etc.
And remember that the optimal point of staging for reusable two stage rockets is a bit earlier than you'd otherwise expect.... So that you don't need TOO MUCH fuel to reverse the trajectory of the first stage back to the launchpad.

As for the second stage, working on the ground to reload it is a pain, simple as possible is good.
Do you even need traditional fairings or can you make a cargo bay from interstages;)

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Thank you! I have now started on a completely new rocket which will have a few bits of hardware from the shuttle, could I post a WIP thread in the general discussion to get some more feedback. The idea being that when I come to actually submitting, I will be much more likely to get immediate approval or at least fewer steps?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
There's nothing stopping you from doing that. :)