Smallest Satellite Rocket to LEO

• Thread starter The Dark in the Light
  • Start date

Should I try smallest rocket to the moon (1.5, to date)?

• Total voters
T

The Dark in the Light

New project, something that I was curious about. I spent a couple hours (2 maybe?) testing and whatnot, and I present to you, the smallest satellite rocket to achieve LEO in 1.5, as of now. I'm sure somebody may beat this, but I think it would be close.
The rocket weighs 26.24 tons and a TWR of 1.52.
Here is a screenshot of the blueprint for iOS users as well as the blueprint file.
Screenshot_SFS_ESP.jpg

I'll create a proper thumbnail for the video. Hope you guys find this cool.

Note: Post updated to make it consistent with the video.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I tried to recreate it myself, and I had a really hard time to reach orbit with your rocket o_O

But I think I found the flaw: the launcher on your screenshot has 15 tons of fuel, but the tank seems bigger in the video. Didn't you use a 20 tons fuel tank in the video instead?

I could do it with the 15 tons variant though, but that thing is unstable and hard to fly. I had to reduce throttle sometimes:
Screenshot_20200706-100713_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200706-100406_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200706-100528_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200706-100605_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200706-100618_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

T

The Dark in the Light

I tried to recreate it myself, and I had a really hard time to reach orbit with your rocket o_O

But I think I found the flaw: the launcher on your screenshot has 15 tons of fuel, but the tank seems bigger in the video. Didn't you use a 20 tons fuel tank in the video instead?

I could do it with the 15 tons variant though, but that thing is unstable and hard to fly. I had to reduce throttle sometimes:
View attachment 41361 View attachment 41362 View attachment 41363 View attachment 41364 View attachment 41365
Ah shit. I need to re-record again. Do you know how to change a video file on YT? Like, changing the video file to another without deleting it?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ah shit. I need to re-record again. Do you know how to change a video file on YT? Like, changing the video file to another without deleting it?
No, I don't know that. However if you make a new video I can update your first post.

T

The Dark in the Light

No, I don't know that. However if you make a new video I can update your first post.
Perfect, thanks. Though I don't think I'll need to make another video. I can't get an orbit on camera, so I'll just stick with what I have.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
First post updated according to your recommendations :)

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Remember everyone, we care about mass, not size. ;)
Nice rockets, Etherian and Altaïr!

T

The Dark in the Light

InShot_20200706_130955019.jpg
Thumbnail complete. Now let's hope YouTube will let upload a 2.2MB file for a thumbnail.