SolarLantern's Team Hawk Submissions

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Just wait. When you posted this reply, he was probably sleeping. What time zone are you in? If you're in EST or somewhere around that, he's probably playing SFS under the covers :p

New Horizons

58 AU from the Sun
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Quite an improvement, you could still make it better, but before I try to quantify what improvements you should make, please post some pictures of the shuttle and booster by themselves in the build grid or send me a sharing link. :)

New Horizons

58 AU from the Sun
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Quite an improvement, you could still make it better, but before I try to quantify what improvements you should make, please post some pictures of the shuttle and booster by themselves in the build grid or send me a sharing link. :)
Link

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Totally forgot, sorry! o_O
I'll be here for the rest of the week for speedy responses.

First up:
NICE, this this is well balanced without RCS. I was able to re-entry in a variety of configurations and stay stable without RCS. The overall configuration and choice of 1 probe and 1 capsule is great.
You don't need so many RCS, reduce it to just 2.

Secondly, I put in a 75 tonne payload, and made it to LEO with loads of fuel left.
That can be optimised.
I want you to optimise your shuttle by reducing the mass without payload from 707t to under 610t.
Hints:
You only need a few tonnes of fuel in the door tanks, drain the rest in the buildscreen.
Drain a bunch of fuel from the biggest tank part on the shutte that is lying over the engines.
Drain even more fuel from one of the booster tanks.

Thirdly, your TWR is too high, especially after you reduce the amount of fuel.
The booster only needs 3 titans.

After you fix all that, your shuttle should be under 610t. Try flying it to orbit with a 75t payload in the cargo bay.

Don't hesitate to ask for help with any particular thing, I'm here all week.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Cute, doesn't need much change to pass. :) Mostly small things.
Show a mission carrying 35t to orbit, with successful landing after.

Some things with recommended fixes:

I noticed when I was flying it that it wasn't balanced. I know this can be tricky with small shuttles due to the short moment arms involved.
On the way up:
It tries to spin left if the RCS is off, and starts to successfully spin left out of control as the fuel levels go down. One way you can fix that is by adding a kolibri to the left of the frontier engine, that way you won't need RCS to fly straight.
On the way down:
It tries to tilt the engines into the re-entry flames and burn itself up. You can avoid this without using RCS by splitting your nose tank from the rest of the other tanks. This way, you can balance during re-entry just by having more fuel in the front instead of the back. Planes and submarines do this to stay stable, look up "trim tanks".

You only have 4 RCS, which is acceptable for a shuttle this big. But consider, do you need the 2 RCS on the body? Can you get rid of them and just have 2 RCS in the cargo door?

Parachutes... You have about 25 of them! You don't need so many if you're landing using the engines. See if you can still do it with 5 parachutes. :) This makes your shuttle lighter.

Your cargo door has over 9t of fuel. I recommend moving most of that to the the separate nose tank I mentioned earlier, this will be more useful for balancing and you only need like 1t for a little bit of RCS maneuvering when you release the cargo.

Finally, a cosmetic change... Would this look better?
1683383226873.png

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Quite improved, nice. :)
Is there any reason why you kept the engines lit on the re-entry?

New Horizons

58 AU from the Sun
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
To keep it stable as RCS are not enough. I throttle them as needed

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Hmm, in what way is it not stable? We should be able to fix that.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
To match what I've been using on Discord for a while. :) Thought it was more interesting than a random rocket from a long time ago.