Some future update mod ideas/wishlist

T

TtTOtW

Well put another rover on a Proton. And another. And another... not long before it crashes and burns because of overloading. Pretty crappy system.

Because this is a game and its supposed to be challenging. NASA was in a rush, they were on a race against the Russian
Yeah, RSS/RO is also a game, but they still used the bigger VAB mod. Bigger VAB's don't speed things up in real life, it's because the rocket needs shelter against the elements during assembly, the Russian did the same thing, the Americans did the same thing, and they're still doing so now even without rush.

Well put another rover on a Proton. And another. And another... not long before it crashes and burns because of overloading. Pretty crappy system.
You wanna start shit, go the the debate forum, this is an idea forum. You can go on and on about your beautiful STS plagued with safety issues still not fixed until retirement that puts 7 people at the risk of incineration from launch to reentry, and I can on and on about the Proton's now 90% technical reliability and the inclusion of a crew escape system need a crew launch be necessary, I also don't need to compare the STS with a Russian vehicle, I can simply pick any American Heavy L/V that will be far safer, cheaper and reliable.

Last edited:

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Yeah, RSS/RO is also a game, but they still used the bigger VAB mod. Bigger VAB's don't speed things up in real life, it's because the rocket needs shelter against the elements during assembly, the Russian did the same thing, the Americans did the same thing, and they're still doing so now even without rush.
I don't know, man. You have a point but I still think the game would lose some quality If this is implementes. I would make it less challenging.

I don't know, man. You have a point but I still think the game would lose some quality If this is implementes. I would make it less challenging.
Increasing the build area won't hurt the game, pad assembly isn't challenging, it's just extra work that can be done in the VAB. it should be the mission that should be the real challenge.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Increasing the build area won't hurt the game, pad assembly isn't challenging, it's just extra work that can be done in the VAB. it should be the mission that should be the real challenge.
I'm not talking about pad assembly, of course pad assembly is easy, when I said that I want to keep the game challenging I was talking about the challenges that require no launchpad assembly. Most of the challenges will be boring If you can keep building and building and adding Stage after Stage after stage....

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
And forgive me but its 00:30 here and I want to sleep.........

I'm not talking about pad assembly, of course pad assembly is easy, when I said that I want to keep the game challenging I was talking about the challenges that require no launchpad assembly. Most of the challenges will be boring If you can keep building and building and adding Stage after Stage after stage....
The larger build area doesn't force you to use the whole area, the challenge may adapt to the situation and instead ask you to build within a designated perimeter. Just because you are at a buffet, doesn't mean you should eat everything.

Adding to the fact that any player who builds outside the competition area will be immediately disqualified.

T

TtTOtW

You wanna start shit, go the the debate forum, this is an idea forum. You can go on and on about your beautiful STS plagued with safety issues still not fixed until retirement that puts 7 people at the risk of incineration from launch to reentry, and I can on and on about the Proton's now 90% technical reliability and the inclusion of a crew escape system need a crew launch be necessary, I also don't need to compare the STS with a Russian vehicle, I can simply pick any American Heavy L/V that will be far safer, cheaper and reliable.
I was gonna say SLS. I said Proton because it is closer to home for you. The point is, everything reaches breaking point beyond a certain limit. No crappy system factor involved. I was being sarcastic.

I was gonna say SLS. I said Proton because it is closer to home for you. The point is, everything reaches breaking point beyond a certain limit. No crappy system factor involved. I was being sarcastic.
Nah, no rocket is closer to home to me, I referred to the Proton since it was the cheapest. I didn't build them anyway. By talking about the Proton, you are automatically referring us back to the STS argument a while back. Anyways, to me the whole STS debate is dead, I have already pretty much listed all my points.

And sorry, by saying crappy I was being blunt.

T

TtTOtW

My friend, it's all good :) we get each other, you know. Don't take offense in my posts, because I don't take offense in yours.

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
Pretty crappy system.
This is exactly why Stef is taking so long, the game had grown far beyond the base. Because of that the game has become more and more unstable. In the next update hopefully he should of improved the entire system to be more robust

Then maybe (Altair can hammer me for this) factor in the changes in gravity as you get further from Earth. I know Dv only uses gravity as a constant so I'm not on about that but surely as gravity gets lower, the craft becomes 'lighter' and thus accelerates faster?
Or you've already worked it all out and I can just shut my dirty whorish mouth...
yes it gets lower with increasing radius from the planet's center.
If the equation isn't wrong, I can safely neglect the need to factor in gravity, since the specific impulse equation multiplying with gravity again will just cancel gravity out.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
yes it gets lower with increasing radius from the planet's center.
If the equation isn't wrong, I can safely neglect the need to factor in gravity, since the specific impulse equation multiplying with gravity again will just cancel gravity out.
Ooh yes, and get Issac Newton involved to work out the gravity in real time as you gain altitude. It'll be an interesting one as it factors in object mass and distances apart, both of which are constantly changing as the rocket burns

Now just to give you a quick update, I am first looking into the SLS. To accurately figure out the acceleration of the rocket with air drag factored in simultaneously, I simulated the SLS launch in KSP RSS/RO with a 10 ton payload . The rocket's SRBs will separate at around 40km in the atmosphere, which is around the upper stratosphere where air pressure becomes nearly negligible. The fuel in the core stage is also burnt to around 75% of the total fuel at booster separation.

I calculated the final graph coordinate value from there and it turns out that the delta velocity rises to 9682 m/s! I am a little skeptical....

Last edited:
P.S. Between me and my friends, the SLS is nicknamed the ROD/TSV (Richman's Orange Dildo, which is often also known as Trump's Sat-V), it's big, expensive as hell and boring to launch, since the whole 7 minutes was about watching the giant orange bastard break the karman line with all 4 asses on fire. I might as well stare at the wall.

P.S.S. at least kOS made it automatic :D

Last edited:
@Altaïr I don't think I can study the RS-25 extensively, I do not have the exhaust pressure and exhaust velocity, I can roughly determine the fuel flow rate to be 518 kg/sec. Due to this I cannot reliably draw the graph using rough variables and numbers, could you help in any way?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
@Altaïr I don't think I can study the RS-25 extensively, I do not have the exhaust pressure and exhaust velocity, I can roughly determine the fuel flow rate to be 518 kg/sec. Due to this I cannot reliably draw the graph using rough variables and numbers, could you help in any way?
I can have a look but I'll need time, at least to understand how you work... You want to draw a graph to evaluate the delta-V loss due to the external pressure right?
Regarding the engine specifications I don't know, but can't you get the exhaust velocity from Isp?

I can have a look but I'll need time, at least to understand how you work... You want to draw a graph to evaluate the delta-V loss due to the external pressure right?
Regarding the engine specifications I don't know, but can't you get the exhaust velocity from Isp?
I'll try again thanks.