Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
S

Sportgus

I got some interesting patterns while making fuel balls.
24wr9wef.png

wtergg.png

bkalltgert.png

345.png

Someone managed to do it once ago: Is it possible to build a station that surrounds the entire earth and stops rockets leaving?
I wish you good luck though, according to him it's been painful.
I think it could be easily done around a smaller planet than earth by making the fuel tanks long enough with just 1 degree of curve and on the steam version with bp editing and cheats, without too. It would be way harder and probably too laggy to be done on mobile.
I’d stick with one around Phobos or dominos
Yeah that's what I might try to do.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Don't those balls lag your game out?
Edit: oh wait, that's pc version

S

Sportgus

Half of one made from 15x30 fuel tanks.
werreerrewrqer34243513412341345.png

And it has over 200 kilotons of mass.
f.png

Now the full one.
Screenshot_3.png

I got it in lunar orbit and...
Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_6.png

S

Sportgus

I did it! A ring around Deimos, in one launch. Now to do it without cheats...
Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png
Screenshot_9.png

It was a bit too big and can probably fit three in there, also the camera changing is really weird. The UI is gone and I can control the ring while still being able to switch to it in the map screen.

Orion belt inc

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
Yay you did something I’ve always wanted to do but my iPad whould probably blow up on its potato hard drive with lemon juice battery and pizza box frame

S

Sportgus

I need to stop relying on clipping and bp editing. To start here is a before 1.4 style shuttle that doesn't have a booster yet because balancing is hard. It has 160 tons of payload in right now and I think I might try to start reusing shuttles instead of recovering them.
Screenshot_20220419-011127.png

Screenshot_20220419-011150.png

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
I don’t get what’s with the fairing payload door if you time warp after deployment it floats away
You see, the big time warps aren't physics time warps. They use a "on rails" system, where everything just circles on the orbit that was last determined by the physics engine. So, the orbits of the door and ship are on slightly different orbits, so after some time they drift away if there's no collision due to the physics not applying during high timewarps.

Orion belt inc

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
You see, the big time warps aren't physics time warps. They use a "on rails" system, where everything just circles on the orbit that was last determined by the physics engine. So, the orbits of the door and ship are on slightly different orbits, so after some time they drift away if there's no collision due to the physics not applying during high timewarps.
Yea I know that I don’t get why people use them because of that I get where you thought I did not know about the fact that bigger time warps are not physics applyed but no I don’t get why people use them

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Yea I know that I don’t get why people use them because of that I get where you thought I did not know about the fact that bigger time warps are not physics applyed but no I don’t get why people use them
Ummm, because physics timewarp is up to 3x, and railed timewarp is like up to millions of times faster? If you were to fly to jupiter in 3x speed, it would take ages...
There was a challenge for a no-timewarp moon return, you can find that and read how long it took. Now jupiter missions are muuuuuch longer.

S

Sportgus

I don’t think your understanding me also the update is not out on iOS I don’t think because my game has no update for me
You mean why we use fairings? I think its because the actually space shuttle had an opening payload bay system and maybe drag.

Marmilo

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Ooh, you're talking about why people use payload fairings?

S

Sportgus

So I may need some help, I put heat shields on the shuttle so it can land on earth and now when I reenter it keeps tipping to the left and the engine section gets burned. I don't know what is causing the drag or if I should remake certain parts of the shuttle, here is some screenshots.
Entire shuttle:
Screenshot_20220507-170715.png

Nose cone part that I tried to make it look kind of good:
Screenshot_20220507-165902.png

T

TtTOtW

I've been looking at the tutorial and it is very helpful. I tried bending my trajectory early like you did in the video and I'm having trouble trying to bend early but not burn up.
The way I do it in the video is extreme, I was close from burning up myself. Usually I start bending my trajectory when I'm hitting 100 m/s, and I do it gradually.
Personally I first of all do not use a TWR of more than 1.35. If I hit 70m/s at the 1km mark, I consider that spot-on. A bit more or less is fine. At 1km I gently start leaning. My milestones after that are:

2 to 3km - 20°
6km - 30°
10 km - 45°
15km - 60°
20km - 75°

I flatten out as soon as apo is above Karman unless I have a very low TWR in my last stage. These milestones are not my genius. It was coined by Carl. Anyone remember Carl? I wonder if he ever recovered his Tetris high score from Venus...

S

Sportgus

The shuttle is now complete, no name for it because I can't think of a.good one. Also no reusable one yet.
Here it is
Screenshot_20220602-213601.png

I had to redesign the nose because it didn't look good with the heat shield but now I think it looks a lot better.
Here's it going to orbit
On pad
Screenshot_20220602-213825.png

Very late booster seperation
Screenshot_20220602-213924.png

Seperation is a little annoying because the shuttle engines destroy the booster on start.
Orbit
Screenshot_20220602-214022.png

Even thought it has a a lot of fuel I am impatient and used almost all of it
Payload deployment
Screenshot_20220602-214154.png

Screenshot_20220602-214232.png

Screenshot_20220602-214327.png

Time to land now
Screenshot_20220602-214545.png

Reentry is so beautiful but so annoying.
Parachutes get deployed and the shuttle lands.
Screenshot_20220602-215110.png

Screenshot_20220602-215143.png

Smaller versions coming soon.