Spaceflight Simulator Real Solar System (SFS RSS) Development Thread

The Astronomer

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Years ago I was working on one of the first attempts at making a real Solar System planet pack. It went nowhere, and eventually the project collapsed along with my passion for the game. Fast forward to today, when I returned to this game thanks to a friend of mine (Gurren Lagann). Planet editing becomes a lot more accessible and powerful, and so I felt it was a good time to restart the development of my own real Solar System pack. This thread will serve as a place for me to post updates on the progress of the development of this planet pack.

While there has already been multiple packs that resized planets to roughly real life sizes, I developed this pack with the primary goal of being an as-accurate-as-possible replication of the real Solar System - the textures roughly true-colored, their terrain produced with real data (usually from USGS), the atmosphere gradients created using reference pictures from an sky color simulation program, and so on.

Some of the real world topographical features you can find in this pack, some of them harder to spot than others:
Spaceflight Simulator Real Solar System-1.jpg Spaceflight Simulator Real Solar System-2.jpg Spaceflight Simulator Real Solar System-3.jpg Spaceflight Simulator Real Solar System-4.jpg Spaceflight Simulator Real Solar System-5.jpg Spaceflight Simulator Real Solar System-6.jpg

Venus' atmosphere. The top of the cloud (white) is located at 64 km.
Venus Atmosphere.PNG

The Astronomer

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Status as of 2021-11-20:
Much of the inner Solar System is completed. The current version still uses stock terrain and cloud textures, which I don't have a way to change. Additionally, the Sun's atmosphere has not been textured either.

The Astronomer

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Status as of 2021-11-26:
I decided to use stock texture for Sun's atmosphere for the time being. Jupiter uses Earth's atmosphere as a placeholder, and the terrain textures and cloud textures are left alone. And thus concludes the development of V0.1. I'll publish the first version soon.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ah, that's very interesting. I tried to do some realistic terrain editing with my planet pack too. That looks beautiful, congrats!

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Thanks! :) I’ve heard from Gurren that your IRIS pack partially uses real terrain.
Yes, that's true. Phobos and Deimos' shape is real, and Mars was mapped from real data, though I couldn't finish it. I had so much work irl ultimately that I had to temporarily stop. But I hope I'll finish it some day.

The Astronomer

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Status as of 2021-12-21:
Happy Winter Solstice! Terra sends you all their regards.

Several planets and other objects have been implemented in the meanwhile. Although I originally intended to add only Vesta and Saturn in the new update, it seems we might also get the rest of the planets along with them.

Attachments

How’s the progress doing? Also your Solar System is really good, I have a phew recommendations, make sure to add landmarks via the new update this year, hopefully you’ll be able to add the other planets, and if your adding Pluto, mind adding at least a few famous moons of the dwarf along with other famous moons, and could you Churyumov Gerasimenko along with Halley’s Comet?

T

TtTOtW

Also, I don't know if you are using it already, but the most precise value of gravity obtainable to me is 9.80665, Id love to see it implimented in your pack.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
I agree, we were discussing that, but, umm....
Where is the download thread?

I found this, is this the relevant thread The Astronomer ?
Spaceflight Simulator Real Solar System (SFS RSS) V0.1
The reason I ask is that I had the impression that there were more recent updates than that?
TA's close friend here (yes i know). There were more updates, but so far none that actually qualified for release standards. Currently that's indeed the most recent "release" release.

The Astronomer

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Before I lost interest in Spaceflight Simulator, I have put together a release version of V0.1 which contains all major objects within One Trillion Meters of the Sun with texture and preferably some topographical data. I should probably send it to Gurren first for them to check the quality and release that one when it's done.

Many people complain about lag issues, and I noticed at some point the pack caused the game to eventually lag so much it crashed - possibly memory leak apparently? It's not clear to me what exactly is causing that (previous attempts to fix that kinda failed - it's not the textures, for example) - if I ever come back into this full steam I might try to remake the pack to see what went wrong, but in the meanwhile I'd appreciate it if someone takes a look. Would be a shame if it's really the terrains.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Ok, for now I've moved the thread of the original release to endorsed worlds. :)