Searcher Space Agency

Scientific Exploration Missions
Fly me to the Moon
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
So,I was working on python and coding some calculations; I thought why not make a stage summarizer? The thing I mean by "summarizer" is it wants some data from a stage of your rocket and makes a list of it with adding some of its own with the calculations.

If that ^ sounds weird I'm sorry for my English.

Currently only for pc(windows I guess)

Attachments

Astatium_209

Alliance’s Executor // Unstable and Toxic
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2021
This is pretty cool, but you should specify the accepted units of wanted data. It told me that my rocket consisting of a 3t probe, Valiant and 15t fuel tank has a delta v of around 7000m/s :p, it should be around 3000 m/s, but that's probably just me making mistakes while inputing the info...

Searcher Space Agency

Fly me to the Moon
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
This is pretty cool, but you should specify the accepted units of wanted data. It told me that my rocket consisting of a 3t probe, Valiant and 15t fuel tank has a delta v of around 7000m/s :p, it should be around 3000 m/s, but that's probably just me making mistakes while inputing the info...
Maybe I'm making something wrong maybe its actually that or something.U sure u inputted everything correct?

Edit: I did a test too and got around 9k dV somehow with around the same things u said

How many different engines you have?If you have 2 different engines then you will do something like this to find whats an average isp:
(one hawk isp + one valiant isp)/2

Last edited:

Astatium_209

Alliance’s Executor // Unstable and Toxic
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2021
Maybe I'm making something wrong maybe its actually that or something.U sure u inputted everything correct?

Edit: I did a test too and got around 9k dV somehow with around the same things u said

How many different engines you have?If you have 2 different engines then you will do something like this to find whats an average isp:
(one hawk isp + one valiant isp)/2
Just one engine, very simple.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
You need to include a weighing of each engine's thrust contribution.

Think about it logically.
Engine A has isp 1000s, thrust 0.1t.
Engine B has isp 500s, thrust 20t.

Logically, since engine A is making very little thrust, it is not making a big contribution to increased isp. The combined isp will not be 750s like your calculation says, it will be more like 501s.

But how to calculate? Include thrust in the formula.
Thrust*isp = fuel consumption.
The idea is to find the combined fuel consumption and thrust, in order to find combined isp.

Combined fuel consumption / combined thrust = combined isp.

If you do it right, you should get a combined isp of 502.5s for 1 engine A and 1 engine B working together.

IMG_19042021_153015_(1920_x_1440_pixel).jpg

Last edited:

Searcher Space Agency

Fly me to the Moon
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
You need to include a weighing of each engine's thrust contribution.

Think about it logically.
Engine A has isp 1000s, thrust 0.1t.
Engine B has isp 500s, thrust 20t.

Logically, since engine A is making very little thrust, it is not making a big contribution to increased isp. The combined isp will not be 750s like your calculation says, it will be more like 501s.

But how to calculate? Include thrust in the formula.
The idea is to find the combined fuel consumption and thrust, in order to find combined isp.

Combined fuel consumption / combined thrust = combined isp.

If you do it right, you should get a combined isp of 502.5s for 1 engine A and 1 engine B working together.

View attachment 61082
Well first thanks for the formula and stuff but I dont have a combined isp calculator in the code it just wants it as an input.But I may add it.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Not exactly. The correct formula is:
Isp = Thrust / (g × fuel consumption)

However the reasoning is correct, the global Isp can simply be calculated by taking into account the global thrust and the global fuel consumption.

Searcher Space Agency I use a spreadsheet myself that includes an Isp calculator. You'll find it here:
SFS 1.5 - Ship Design Assistant
It's in read-only mode, please make your own copy if you want to modify it.

You can take inspiration from it if you want.
Note that the formula I use is slightly different.

If FC is fuel consumption and Isp the specific impulse, the global Isp is:
Isp = (FC1×Isp1 + FC2×Isp2 + ...)/(FC1 + FC2 + ...)

The following also works:
Isp = (Thrust1 + Thrust2 + ...)/(g×(FC1 + FC2 + ...)

Those 2 formulas are equivalent.