Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Marmilo and 4KidsOneCamera. This one is for you.

Hmmm. I wanted to say I don't "hate" SLS, but I was sitting here thinking of how to word it so.

And realised I couldn't.

So yeah. I do hate SLS.

I hate its lack of imagination and ambition. I hate the stolen parts, the delays, the budget over-run, the design. I hate the fact that it is less capable than the rocket it is replacing and the system it is stealing from.

But what I hate most about the Space Launch System, the thing that tears my soul above all other things about it is this.

It is necessary.

Because without it, NASA has less invested in rocketry than Scotland.

Let that sink in.

NASA, the pioneers who turned small steps into giant leaps and outright winners of the Space Race, would be behind Scotland in terms of rocket capability if it wasn't for its back catalogue of old parts and SLS. Running that by myself in my head whilst typing this, I couldn't believe it. Surely not?
Well, if you know of one that I (and google) don't, then by all means tell me.

But, what has this got to do with Starship?

Everything.

Now I can't comment on the launch system itself in absolute technical terms, purely because even SpaceX aren't sure how it will perform yet. They've got ideas, predictions and design requirements, but nothing hard, set in stone yet. So to compare it in terms of mass to orbit or launch weight is ultimately futile.

However, to compare it in terms of why I despise SLS is easy. (All points made below assume SpaceXs current claims become true)
There is no lack of imagination or ambition. As a design, it looks like every rocket every 6yr old boy has ever drawn crossed with a DeLorean. I thought it was a fictional fan-art when I first seen it. It's not just gonna be practical, it's gonna look fucking cool doing it. As a project, it doesn't get more ambitious than changing the world.
Well, actually it does. Starship isn't designed to change this world. It's designed to allow us to change another world.

The entire system is completely bespoke. The engines are unique, the launch booster, Starship itself carries nothing in from another launch system. It's not a copied hash of anything other than being a flying pop culture reference.
Yeah, it's been delayed some, but they are building it new, from scratch. And very little of what they are doing has been done before.

Then we come onto capabilities. In terms of payload to orbit, 100t+ (according to the SpaceX website I checked an hour ago) isn't gonna set the world on fire. But that's cos you're thinking about it wrong. Starship isn't just a rocket, it's a rocket / spaceplane / station / lander all in one package.
As a rocket, total delivery mass to orbit (including itself) obliterates the current payload record held by Saturn V.
As a spaceplane, it's capable of delivering at least 5 times more mass than the Space Shuttle could to LEO.
As a space station, a fully fueled Starship sat in LEO post re-fuel will weigh more than and be more self sufficient with crew for longer than the International fucking Space Station.
As a lander, it combines a go anywhere, take whatever you need, land on anything, live for as long as it needs to and come back again ability that nothing else is even contemplating doing.
Want to talk ambition? Imagine making a thing that can simultaneously replace Saturn V, the International Space Station, the Space Transport System, Space Launch System, Gateway and the Artemis lander, be better than all of these at what they do, do it fully re-useable and make it cheaper per kilo than shipping things by air freight on Earth.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a SpaceX fan boy. I'm sick and bloody tired of the thousand Starship clones people make/copy (make your own rockets you swines) (I say this as 4kids posts a revamped Starship on the forum, ooops), nothing is for certain yet of what it can actually do and regardless of if it does, for me the Saturn V will always be king.
Don't @ me, it just fucking is. And any comments to the negative of this is punishable by decree exterminatus.

But in my unbiased, objective opinion, Starship is gonna sit up there with Concorde, Saturn V and the Hadron Collider as examples of engineering brilliance for generations to come.

Last edited:

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
The SLS looks like a massive cigarette

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure

Hmmm. I wanted to say I don't "hate" SLS, but I was sitting here thinking of how to word it so.

And realised I couldn't.

So yeah. I do hate SLS.

I hate its lack of imagination and ambition. I hate the stolen parts, the delays, the budget over-run, the design. I hate the fact that it is less capable than the rocket it is replacing and the system it is stealing from.

But what I hate most about the Space Launch System, the thing that tears my soul above all other things about it is this.

It is necessary.

Let that sink in.

NASA, the pioneers who turned small steps into giant leaps and outright winners of the Space Race, would be behind Scotland in terms of rocket capability if it wasn't for its back catalogue of old parts and SLS. Running that by myself in my head whilst typing this, I couldn't believe it. Surely not?

Everything.

Now I can't comment on the launch system itself in absolute technical terms, purely because even SpaceX aren't sure how it will perform yet. They've got ideas, predictions and design requirements, but nothing hard, set in stone yet. So to compare it in terms of mass to orbit or launch weight is ultimately futile.

However, to compare it in terms of why I despise SLS is easy. (All points made below assume SpaceXs current claims become true)
There is no lack of imagination or ambition. As a design, it looks like every rocket every 6yr old boy has ever drawn crossed with a DeLorean. I thought it was a fictional fan-art when I first seen it. It's not just gonna be practical, it's gonna look fucking cool doing it. As a project, it doesn't get more ambitious than changing the world.
Well, actually it does. Starship isn't designed to change this world. It's designed to allow us to change another world.

The entire system is completely bespoke. The engines are unique, the launch booster, Starship itself carries nothing in from another launch system. It's not a copied hash of anything other than being a flying pop culture reference.
Yeah, it's been delayed some, but they are building it new, from scratch. And very little of what they are doing has been done before.

Then we come onto capabilities. In terms of payload to orbit, 100t+ (according to the SpaceX website I checked an hour ago) isn't gonna set the world on fire. But that's cos you're thinking about it wrong. Starship isn't just a rocket, it's a rocket / spaceplane / station / lander all in one package.
As a rocket, total delivery mass to orbit (including itself) obliterates the current payload record held by Saturn V.
As a spaceplane, it's capable of delivering at least 5 times more mass than the Space Shuttle could to LEO.
As a space station, a fully fueled Starship sat in LEO post re-fuel will weigh more than and be more self sufficient with crew for longer than the International fucking Space Station.
As a lander, it combines a go anywhere, take whatever you need, land on anything, live for as long as it needs to and come back again ability that nothing else is even contemplating doing.
Want to talk ambition? Imagine making a thing that can simultaneously replace Saturn V, the International Space Station, the Space Transport System, Space Launch System, Gateway and the Artemis lander, be better than all of these at what they do, do it fully re-useable and make it cheaper per kilo than shipping things by air freight on Earth.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a SpaceX fan boy. I'm sick and bloody tired of the thousand Starship clones people make/copy (make your own rockets you swines) (I say this as 4kids posts a revamped Starship on the forum), nothing is for certain yet of what it can actually do and regardless of if it does, for me the Saturn V will always be king.
Don't @ me, it just fucking is. And any comments to the negative of this is punishable by decree exterminatus.

But in my unbiased, objective opinion, Starship is gonna sit up there with Concorde, Saturn V and the Hadron Collider as examples of engineering brilliance for generations to come.
Well said Horus. I’m amazed you get anything done in your personal life typing out all these awesome responses. Starship will be pretty incredible if it can live up to its current claims, but even if it doesn’t hit the numbers it will still open up the doors for future heavy lift launchers.
I say this as 4kids posts a revamped Starship on the forum
Yeah, I do make quite a lot of replicas...

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Starship is also (hopefully) going to be the first of those mega-projects for which I'd be able to say "Ah, yes, I remember watching them make that". So that's part of the reason it's exciting to me. I'm in engineering school at the same time that it's being built.
Starship is truly mad in the best way.

(Before you ask, I was 8 when the Large Hadron Collider was turned on, and nobody told me about it back then. It doesn't count. But I bet 8 year old me would also have thought Starship was cool.)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Cheers man.

I’m amazed you get anything done in your personal life typing out all these awesome responses.
4nyhuc.jpg

Starship will be pretty incredible if it can live up to its current claims, but even if it doesn’t hit the numbers it will still open up the doors for future heavy lift launchers.
It'll have to live up to the hype. I don't think SpaceX would be able to live that one down. If I'm honest, I think the only hope for other heavy/super heavy lift platforms once Starship is completed will be availability and reliability of Starship. In an ideal world, no company or organisation looking to do things in space is going to look beyond SpaceX because they're cheaper, more reliable and can lift whatever you want to wherever you want.

Yeah, I do make quite a lot of replicas...
On the plus side, your replicas are fantastic.

Starship is also (hopefully) going to be the first of those mega-projects for which I'd be able to say "Ah, yes, I remember watching them make that"
Yeah, same. I was born in the mid-80s. By the time I discovered cool things, they'd already been built or retired.

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
It'll have to live up to the hype. I don't think SpaceX would be able to live that one down
Knowing their company style, this is almost definitely the case. I’m pretty sure at this point they are dead set on getting Starship to become what it was meant to be. And what it was meant to be is completely game changing. It would take some monumental setbacks or inherent design flaws to stop it, but you never know. I still have high hopes for it.

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
The SLS was a good idea but it's crap it looks like a huge cigarette that has 2 chopsticks on the side if you build it in Minecraft like I have or in SFS then it's legal but irl it just doesn't seem right I was hyped for the SLS but due to the delays it's lost my respect for it I agree with Horus take the RS-25s back and give them back to the shuttles

4KidsOneCamera

Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
The SLS was a good idea but it's crap it looks like a huge cigarette that has 2 chopsticks on the side if you build it in Minecraft like I have or in SFS then it's legal but irl it just doesn't seem right I was hyped for the SLS but due to the delays it's lost my respect for it I agree with Horus take the RS-25s back and give them back to the shuttles
There was zero punctuation in this statement.

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
If the SLS launches Next year it will have my respect but nothing will beat the Saturn V

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Damn Foolish Heretics disrespecting the great Saturn V, Pathetic.
Ha, I'd love to see the person who can give an honest and objective argument that Saturn V was indeed actually shit. So I can bombard his position from orbit.

I was born two years late for STS... NOT THIS ONE THOUGH!
Amen. I was old enough to watch STS, but not old enough to go see STS before it retired.

Knowing their company style, this is almost definitely the case. I’m pretty sure at this point they are dead set on getting Starship to become what it was meant to be. And what it was meant to be is completely game changing. It would take some monumental setbacks or inherent design flaws to stop it, but you never know. I still have high hopes for it.
Yeah. Knowing Elon, there's not a chance it'll launch flawed or not to spec. This is literally his lifes dream and he's the obsessive type. It'll work, even if he has to fly the damn thing himself.

There was zero punctuation in this statement.
Translated...

The SLS was a good idea, but it's crap. It looks like a huge cigarette that has 2 chopsticks on the side. If you build it in Minecraft like I have or in SFS then it's legal but irl it just doesn't seem right. I was hyped for the SLS but due to the delays it's lost my respect for it. I agree with Horus take the RS-25s back and give them back to the shuttles
SLS is either a bad idea, or it's crap. It can't be both. You're right, it does look like a swollen marlbro. Don't get me wrong, Saturn V isn't a good looking rocket, but it's a product of a time where going supersonic had only recently become a regular thing and it has a brutal simplicity that I just like. SLS doesn't have that excuse and it comes across as just fucking lazy.

I don't like how it looks in SFS or Minecraft. Or KSP, Lego, a poster, wherever.

I wasn't hyped about it at all. Even if it flew on budget and on time, it's still a stop-gap rocket and NASA could and should have aimed higher.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Yeah. Knowing Elon, there's not a chance it'll launch flawed or not to spec. This is literally his lifes dream and he's the obsessive type. It'll work, even if he has to fly the damn thing himself.
STS was a brilliant dream bogged down by politics and prior equipment. SLS is the latter too, and not even the former.

I have so much more hope for Starship because SpaceX is one of the few companies I've seen that are able to go back to the drawing board to design out problems from first principles rather than make a bodge-job fix out of necessity that limits the capability of everything down the line.
Their only unbending constraints for Starship:
Fooking-huge rocket that's mega-cheap and reliable to operate. Everything else is secondary in pursuit of the dream.

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
i still want to see how they will land the Super Heavy its FUGE ( Fucking Huge)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yeah absolutely. SpaceX completely threw out the original plans cos they didn't work and started fresh. Very few government projects are able to do that without a huge ruckus and oversight committee.

Fooking-huge rocket that's mega-cheap and reliable to operate
A design brief I can get behind

i still want to see how they will land the Super Heavy its FUGE ( Fucking Huge)
Probably the same way they'll land Starship. Cos that's pretty big as well

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Yeah absolutely. SpaceX completely threw out the original plans cos they didn't work and started fresh. Very few government projects are able to do that without a huge ruckus and oversight committee.

A design brief I can get behind

ah true but it will need so much power and thrust

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
It doesn't look like it, but Super Heavy is the less risky part. It'll fly like a Falcon 9 first stage, with HUGE gridfins, relatively small legs and using the steel construction to completely skip the re-entry engine burn. It might actually be easier to land, cos it'll be able to throttle down enough to hover if needed.
It'll also stage earlier, so the velocities involved are actually less than for the Falcon 9 first stage.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Well if it can launch, it can land. They don't have to use all the thrust when landing, they'll just not turn on all the engines. Same as they do on Falcon 9.

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
It doesn't look like it, but Super Heavy is the less risky part. It'll fly like a Falcon 9 first stage, with HUGE gridfins, relatively small legs and using the steel construction to completely skip the re-entry engine burn. It might actually be easier to land, cos it'll be able to throttle down enough to hover if needed.
It'll also stage earlier, so the velocities involved are actually less than for the Falcon 9 first stage.
Well if it can launch, it can land. They don't have to use all the thrust when landing, they'll just not turn on all the engines. Same as they do on Falcon 9.
ah i see

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022

And realised I couldn't.

So yeah. I do hate SLS.

It is necessary.

Let that sink in.

Everything.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a SpaceX fan boy. I'm sick and bloody tired of the thousand Starship clones people make/copy (make your own rockets you swines) (I say this as 4kids posts a revamped Starship on the forum, ooops), nothing is for certain yet of what it can actually do and regardless of if it does, for me the Saturn V will always be king.

Nice, really satisfying anwser to my question ;)
But necessary? Couldn't they make the shuttle more viable, with room for upgrades, and stick it on a Sat5 first stage? And why on earth did they abandon constellation just to make a simplified version later?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Nice, really satisfying anwser to my question ;)
But necessary? Couldn't they make the shuttle more viable, with room for upgrades, and stick it on a Sat5 first stage?
They could have, but didn't.
Nixon's government wanted a space shuttle on small budget, and they killed the Saturn V at the same time because it wasn't as shiny and was "Kennedy's" rocket. Double whammy.
Triple whammy if you count the design requirements that the military demanded from NASA in exchange for budget support.

Last edited: