Team Frontier 1/3 : Voyager

Space_geek25

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
This is the first mission of the team frontier. I started by the voyager quest because it's the easiest / shortest challenge.

I made a 2 stages rocket with small Boosters. I used side separator between the two stages because it's 0,2t lighter. I start turning very early, and I made the lowest orbit possible. I made my burns in 2 times, at the periapsis. After 3 tries, where I failed ( 50m/s), I managed to get an escape trajectory.

Attachments

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I am sorry, I've just noticed the separator connecting the core to the third stage. The part that gets left on the third stage gets burned off, this counts as damage, which isn't allowed.:confused: A normal separator is fine, 0.2t shouldn't decide whether a submission fails or not.

While you are redoing the submission, there is two easy points of potential improvement:
  • If you increase the TWR at launch, then your rocket will experience less "gravity losses", allowing you to arrive in orbit with more fuel. A TWR up to 1.6, 1.7 is optimal, it depends on how draggy the rocket is. The way to increase TWR in this case is with more engines. Example: you are able to fit 2 kolibri engines on the bottom of the core if you change from 6 wide fuel tanks to side-by-side 4 wide fuel tanks that mimic an 8 wide fuel tank.
  • Your upper stage is rather large, there is the potential for extra dV if we steal some fuel from the boosters, add it to the upper stage, and then split it into 2 upper stages, in an approximate 2:3 ratio.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Also, you can replace the separator by a docking port if needed: there will be no part attached to your second stage that way.

Space_geek25

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I am sorry, I've just noticed the separator connecting the core to the third stage. The part that gets left on the third stage gets burned off, this counts as damage, which isn't allowed.:confused: A normal separator is fine, 0.2t shouldn't decide whether a submission fails or not.

While you are redoing the submission, there is two easy points of potential improvement:
  • If you increase the TWR at launch, then your rocket will experience less "gravity losses", allowing you to arrive in orbit with more fuel. A TWR up to 1.6, 1.7 is optimal, it depends on how draggy the rocket is. The way to increase TWR in this case is with more engines. Example: you are able to fit 2 kolibri engines on the bottom of the core if you change from 6 wide fuel tanks to side-by-side 4 wide fuel tanks that mimic an 8 wide fuel tank.
  • Your upper stage is rather large, there is the potential for extra dV if we steal some fuel from the boosters, add it to the upper stage, and then split it into 2 upper stages, in an approximate 2:3 ratio.
Can I use part clipping in this challenge?
( my rocket is to hight)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Can I use part clipping in this challenge?
( my rocket is to hight)
Yes, this is allowed. Just make sure to show us what you clipped and in which place so that we can recreate the rocket if needed.

Space_geek25

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I restarted the challenge and I made it whitn't breaking any part. I use a different rocker with a biggest core and two small Boosters.
Screenshot_20220720-181339_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Screenshot_20220720-181329_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

this time I had less problem to achieve orbit. I made only one burn to get an escape trajectory.
Screenshot_20220720-181359_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Screenshot_20220720-182014_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Screenshot_20220720-182216_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

I reach 15.000.000km with 6395m/s (the targeted speed is 6311)

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I can see that this rocket provides an improvement. :) Always nice when you comfortably reach in excess of the target speed without making your rocket bigger.

Badge awarded.