Team Frontier Instructions!

Mac33299

Modder
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
Quick question for mars mission does it count if I do a Mars Orbit Rendezvous with a Separate Mars lander?

(Also, could I technically kill 2 birds with one stone by build a space station and using that as a craft to go to mars and back)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Quick question for mars mission does it count if I do a Mars Orbit Rendezvous with a Separate Mars lander?
This is valid, just make sure to show how you sent the Mars lander too.

What is my purpose?

Modder
Man on the Moon
Registered
Attempt only after you’ve completed Team Titan

Overview:
Team Frontier is the second set of challenges. It proves the player has some competent skills in SFS, and is at least capable to dock, plan basic interplanetary missions and build an efficient rocket. All THREE missions must be completed to get the rank.

What it unlocks?
  • Ability to delete and edit your posts within 15 minutes.
  • Extended text formatting in signatures (colour, font, size)
  • Increases allowed size of signatures.
  • And of course, after that you are free to try Team Hawk missions.

Missions (they can be completed in any order, but all three of them must be completed):
  1. Land on Mars and get back to Earth: Just like the Moon mission before
  2. Build a space station around Earth: must be at least four separated launches, all rendezvous in LEO and docked together. You must document all 4 missions so the challenge counts as valid. The station must be complete, meaning it has an habitation module, solar panels, an escape craft, a separate docking area, and a way to change its orbit.
  3. Launch the supplied probe and reach solar escape velocity. No gravity assists, nor Ion engines. Starting position is the launchpad. The launch vehicle is limited to a total mass of 265 tons.
General Rules:
  • Cheats are forbidden.
  • Ion engines may not be used in any of the Team Frontier challenges.
  • Nothing (except obviously dumped stages) must be destroyed.
  • Bp editing part clipping is fine. Engine stretching and no engine heat are forbidden.
  • Default Solar System must be used, although purely cosmetical planet packs will be accepted too.
    • As an exception, IRIS by Altaïr will be allowed on the Mars and space station missions only. Other RSS-like packs may be evaluated in the future.
For the specific case of Voyager Quest challenge these constraints also apply:
  • Use only the supplied probe, or your recreation of it, no custom payload.
  • The mass of the launch vehicle for the entire mission is 265 tons. Meaning that the vehicle you spawn on the launchpad cannot be heavier than 265 tons (payload included).
  • Gravity assists are not allowed, just direct burns.

Mission Rewards:

Each mission grants its own badge:
Once you have all three of them, you get the official Team Frontier badge, which proves you’ve completed all three Frontier challenges: View attachment 61126

How do I prove that I did the missions?

Any format is fine (screenshots, videos, other), but whatever you submit must show at least these key points:

Mars mission:
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Mars orbit
  • Mars surface
  • Back to Earth
  • Achievements
Space Station (for all four flights):
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Rendezvous with the station
Voyager Quest:
  • Building grid (so we can see the total mass)
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Map view when passing one of the following marks (this one is absolutely essential). Target speed is at calculated for the following orbit heights by Altaïr :
    • 11.360.000 km: 7250 m/s, the historical Mars level, useful for those playing with older versions.
    • 15.000.000 km: 6311 m/s, slightly above Mars level.
    • 40.000.000 km: 3868 m/s , slightly past Jupiter's level.
    • 100.000.000 km: 2447 m/s: last chance if you missed all the previous marks.
      • In all cases, don't worry about being EXACTLY being at the mark. And if you're well past the mark but still over the threshold speed, it's ok.
Note that a full screen capture is required for all these steps (no cropped screenshots). This is to allow us to evaluate the consistency of the mission (fuel gauges, non-use of cheats...).

If your rocket is bp-edited, we might also require the blueprint to check that all modifications are legal.

A more detailed guide about Team Frontier in general and its missions can be found here:
For any questions feel free to ask them here: New Ranks! or here: Team Frontier Instructions! or in the thread below.

Picture, sharing link, and download of the probe for the Voyager Quest challenge:
View attachment 86925
https://sharing.spaceflightsimulator.app/rocket/RCU73AdbEe2ftndcu4p9zg
OMG THE ORDER IS OOHHHHH I FORGOT....

GSP

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
V
Attempt only after you’ve completed Team Titan

Overview:
Team Frontier is the second set of challenges. It proves the player has some competent skills in SFS, and is at least capable to dock, plan basic interplanetary missions and build an efficient rocket. All THREE missions must be completed to get the rank.

What it unlocks?
  • Ability to delete and edit your posts within 15 minutes.
  • Extended text formatting in signatures (colour, font, size)
  • Increases allowed size of signatures.
  • And of course, after that you are free to try Team Hawk missions.

Missions (they can be completed in any order, but all three of them must be completed):
  1. Land on Mars and get back to Earth: Just like the Moon mission before
  2. Build a space station around Earth: must be at least four separated launches, all rendezvous in LEO and docked together. You must document all 4 missions so the challenge counts as valid. The station must be complete, meaning it has an habitation module, solar panels, an escape craft, a separate docking area, and a way to change its orbit.
  3. Launch the supplied probe and reach solar escape velocity. No gravity assists, nor Ion engines. Starting position is the launchpad. The launch vehicle is limited to a total mass of 265 tons.
General Rules:
  • Cheats are forbidden.
  • Ion engines may not be used in any of the Team Frontier challenges.
  • Nothing (except obviously dumped stages) must be destroyed.
  • Bp editing part clipping is fine. Engine stretching and no engine heat are forbidden.
  • Default Solar System must be used, although purely cosmetical planet packs will be accepted too.
    • As an exception, IRIS by Altaïr will be allowed on the Mars and space station missions only. Other RSS-like packs may be evaluated in the future.
For the specific case of Voyager Quest challenge these constraints also apply:
  • Use only the supplied probe, or your recreation of it, no custom payload.
  • The mass of the launch vehicle for the entire mission is 265 tons. Meaning that the vehicle you spawn on the launchpad cannot be heavier than 265 tons (payload included).
  • Gravity assists are not allowed, just direct burns.

Mission Rewards:

Each mission grants its own badge:
Once you have all three of them, you get the official Team Frontier badge, which proves you’ve completed all three Frontier challenges: View attachment 61126

How do I prove that I did the missions?

Any format is fine (screenshots, videos, other), but whatever you submit must show at least these key points:

Mars mission:
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Mars orbit
  • Mars surface
  • Back to Earth
  • Achievements
Space Station (for all four flights):
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Rendezvous with the station
Voyager Quest:
  • Building grid (so we can see the total mass)
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Map view when passing one of the following marks (this one is absolutely essential). Target speed is at calculated for the following orbit heights by Altaïr :
    • 11.360.000 km: 7250 m/s, the historical Mars level, useful for those playing with older versions.
    • 15.000.000 km: 6311 m/s, slightly above Mars level.
    • 40.000.000 km: 3868 m/s , slightly past Jupiter's level.
    • 100.000.000 km: 2447 m/s: last chance if you missed all the previous marks.
      • In all cases, don't worry about being EXACTLY being at the mark. And if you're well past the mark but still over the threshold speed, it's ok.
Note that a full screen capture is required for all these steps (no cropped screenshots). This is to allow us to evaluate the consistency of the mission (fuel gauges, non-use of cheats...).

If your rocket is bp-edited, we might also require the blueprint to check that all modifications are legal.

A more detailed guide about Team Frontier in general and its missions can be found here:
For any questions feel free to ask them here: New Ranks! or here: Team Frontier Instructions! or in the thread below.

Picture, sharing link, and download of the probe for the Voyager Quest challenge:
View attachment 86925
https://sharing.spaceflightsimulator.app/rocket/RCU73AdbEe2ftndcu4p9zg
I am trying it, but it is impossible for me.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
There may be a problem. I play on PC, and the last time I checked( before my game stopped working), there were no solar panels and a lot of other needed parts. What should I do?

Kirbyisbest

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
There may be a problem. I play on PC, and the last time I checked( before my game stopped working), there were no solar panels and a lot of other needed parts. What should I do?
Well first you need to get team titan which is just a moon and back mission, then frontier where you can do those. You can also play on mobile so you dont have to fix your pc

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Alright, for now I'll focus on trying to get my game working again and going to the moon. Gotta start somewhere!

Deepspacegod

Swingin' on a Star
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
You really need to make a note not to use the probes fuel, pretty much everybody is making that mistake