Team Frontier Instructions!

THEMartianALIEN

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
See this post is helpful to me to some extent i joined sfs earlier but this forum later i have created exact copies of India's rockets like slv pslv and gslv so can i submit those. All the rockets can be launched without cheats.

One mandatory thing u might think why i made this.
Actually after the Chandrayaan 2 failure i made gslv after that an idea came to my mind to build all the rockets and then i joined here to share those but i havent shared. Because i m not getting a place to submit.

So not accepting my one would be waste of my so many months even years

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Sigh. You still need replicas for team hawk, like I said in the other thread.
And you don't need to do the replica challenge to show off your replicas, we have the blueprint forum for a reason

Budilnik228

Man on the Moon
Registered
no, you're just shootin yourself out of mars orbit. hence we needed a pic of your ship passing mars orbit at the velocity of 7250 m/s (target speed to get the voyager title)

yes, if you're not goin to do it, you ain't gonna go to team hawk.
so finish the 3 challenge to step up.
So to get the frontier engine rank you escape the solar system or shoot yourself out of the Mars?

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Escape the solar system. And take a picture passing the line of Mars solar orbit.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
So I have to go through Mars’ orbit and then escape solar system? Or I start on Mars?
I think here i have to consider mars as the outermost planet of solar system
This is what you have to do:

You take the payload we supplied, you strap it to a rocket (total mass cannot be higher than 250 tons, including the payload), you start on Earth, escape the Solar System, then take a picture while passing the orbit of Mars'. Done.

Any other doubts.

Nagini

ssssnake // has nothing against SpaceX replicas
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Not a “no gravity” assist, but no “gravity assists”. :D

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
What u mean i can turn on other cheats like atmos drag
Nope, no cheating.

I was talking about Gravitational Assistances. A Gravitational Assistance is when you use a planet's (or moon's) gravity to give you a speed boost.

This is a very important skill to learn, BUT, you can't use it on the Voyager Quest challenge.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Some people are troubled about the picture at Mars level, so here is an example of what we expect:
Screenshot_20210716-194344_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

At a closest level, the probe is practically at Mars orbit level:
Screenshot_20210716-194411_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Your speed at that level must be at least of 7250 m/s, this is the threshold after which you can escape the solar system at that height.

We ask this because it's sometimes difficult to make the difference between a highly elliptic orbit, and an escape trajectory.
See this example:
Screenshot_20210716-191505_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
It seems like the probe is going to escape. But if I zoom out...
Screenshot_20210716-191515_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Woops, no, there is an apoapsis, it won't escape.
If I take a screenshot at Mars level:
Screenshot_20210716-191609_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
The speed is below 7250 m/s, it's too low. That's how we judge if it's actually escaping or not.

Of course, if it's not exactly at Mars level it's fine, we tolerate a margin. Especially, if it's past Mars and still above the speed threshold, it's obvious that you succeeded, so it's fine.

Budilnik228

Man on the Moon
Registered
Attempt only after you’ve completed Team Titan

Overview:
Team Frontier is the second set of challenges. It proves the player has some competent skills in SFS, and is at least capable to dock, plan basic interplanetary missions and do an accurate recreation. All THREE missions must be completed to get the rank.

What it unlocks?

[Will be filled soon!]
And of course, after that you are free to try Team Hawk missions.

Missions (they can be completed in any order, but all three of them must be completed):
  1. Land on Mars and get back to Earth: Just like the Moon mission before
  2. Build a space station around Earth: must be at least four separated launches, all rendezvous in LEO and docked together. You must document all 4 missions so the challenge counts as valid.
  3. Launch the supplied probe and reach solar escape velocity. No gravity assists, nor Ion engines. Starting position is the launchpad. The launch vehicle is limited to a total mass of 250 tons.
General Rules:
  • Cheats are forbidden.
  • Nothing (except obviously dumped stages) must be destroyed.
  • Bp editing part clipping is fine. Engine stretching is ONLY allowed on the replica challenge, but not for the rest of the missions. And if you do stretch some engines, you must add the necessary ballast to compensate the advantage.
  • Default Solar System must be used, although purely cosmetical planet packs will be accepted too. As an exception, IRIS by Altaïr will be allowed on the Mars and space station missions only.
For the specific case of Voyager Quest challenge these constraints also apply:
  • Use only the supplied probe, or your recreation of it, no custom payload.
  • The mass of the launch vehicle for the entire mission is 250 tons. Meaning that the vehicle you spawn on the launchpad cannot be heavier than 250 tons (payload included).
  • Gravity assists are not allowed, just direct burns.
  • Ion engines are absolutely forbidden. Just chemical engines.

Mission Rewards:

Each mission grants its own badge:
Once you have all three of them, you get the official Team Frontier badge, which proves you’ve completed all three Frontier challenges: View attachment 61126

How do I prove that I did the missions?

Any format is fine (screenshots, videos, other), but whatever you submit must show at least these key points:

Mars mission:
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Mars orbit
  • Mars surface
  • Back to Earth
  • Achievements
Space Station (for all four flights):
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Rendezvous with the station
Voyager Quest:
  • Building grid (so we can see the total mass)
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Map view when crossing the orbit of Mars. (This one is absolutely essential). Target speed is 7250 m/s.

A more detailed guide about Team Frontier in general and its missions can be found here:
Team Frontier Instructions!
For any questions feel free to ask them here: New Ranks! or here: Team Frontier Instructions! or in the thread below.

Picture and Download of the probe for the Voyager Quest challenge:
View attachment 68526
Am I allowed to refuel in space? Or I need to shot myself straight?