Team Frontier Instructions!

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Attempt only after you’ve completed Team Titan

Overview:

Team Frontier is the second set of challenges. It proves the player has some competent skills in SFS, and is at least capable to dock, plan basic interplanetary missions and build an efficient rocket. All THREE missions must be completed to get the rank.

What it unlocks?
  • Ability to delete and edit your posts within 15 minutes.
  • Extended text formatting in signatures (colour, font, size)
  • Increases allowed size of signatures.
  • And of course, after that you are free to try Team Hawk missions.

Missions

they can be completed in any order, but all three of them must be completed:
  1. Land on Mars and get back to Earth: Just like the Moon mission before
  2. Build a space station around Earth: must be at least four separated launches, all rendezvous in LEO and docked together. You must document all 4 missions so the challenge counts as valid. The station must be complete, meaning it has an habitation module, solar panels, an escape craft, a separate docking area, and a way to change its orbit.
  3. Launch the supplied probe and reach solar escape velocity. No gravity assists, nor Ion engines. Starting position is the launchpad. The launch vehicle is limited to a total mass of 265 tons.
General Rules:
  • Cheats are forbidden.
  • Ion engines may not be used in any of the Team Frontier challenges.
  • Nothing (except obviously dumped stages) must be destroyed.
  • Bp editing part clipping is fine. Engine stretching and no engine heat are forbidden.
  • Default Solar System must be used, although purely cosmetical planet packs will be accepted too.
    • As an exception, IRIS by Altaïr will be allowed on the Mars and space station missions only. Other RSS-like packs may be evaluated in the future.
For the specific case of Voyager Quest challenge these constraints also apply:
  • Use only the supplied probe, or your recreation of it, no custom payload.
  • The mass of the launch vehicle for the entire mission is 265 tons. Meaning that the vehicle you spawn on the launchpad cannot be heavier than 265 tons (payload included).
  • Gravity assists are not allowed, just direct burns.
  • The probe must be sent full, which means that you can't consume its fuel.

Mission Rewards:

Each mission grants its own badge:
  • Mars mission:
    1772D8A8-755D-4639-813F-D90C45373051.jpeg
  • Space Station:
    B5946A50-C8A9-498B-856E-1BF0B0639424.jpeg
  • Voyager Quest:
    Screenshot_2021-07-09-08-49-43-698.jpg
Once you have all three of them, you get the official Team Frontier badge, which proves you’ve completed all three Frontier challenges:
81F73366-BC9F-4D30-81FF-2D3358EA01C6.jpeg

How do I prove that I did the missions?

Any format is fine (screenshots, videos, other), but whatever you submit must show at least these key points:

Mars mission:
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Mars orbit
  • Mars surface
  • Back to Earth
  • Mission Log
Space Station (for all four flights):
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Rendezvous with the station
Voyager Quest:
  • Building grid (so we can see the total mass)
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Map view when passing one of the following marks (this one is absolutely essential). Target speed is at calculated for the following orbit heights by Altaïr :
    • 11.360.000 km: 7250 m/s, the historical Mars level, useful for those playing with older versions.
    • 15.000.000 km: 6311 m/s, slightly above Mars level.
    • 40.000.000 km: 3868 m/s , slightly past Jupiter's level.
    • 100.000.000 km: 2447 m/s: last chance if you missed all the previous marks.
      • In all cases, don't worry about being EXACTLY being at the mark. And if you're well past the mark but still over the threshold speed, it's ok.
  • For Steam players: as an alternative if you play with the VanillaUpgrades mod, you can show that your trajectory in the solar system has an eccentricity strictly above 1.0 instead of the screenshot at mark.
  • Mission Log

Note that a full screen capture is required for all these steps (no cropped screenshots). This is to allow us to evaluate the consistency of the mission (fuel gauges, non-use of cheats...).

If your rocket is bp-edited, we might also require the blueprint to check that all modifications are legal.

Additional game content (mods)

The players from the Steam version have access to mods, and are allowed to use those who doesn't break the game balance for the ranked missions. Here is the list of the content we allow:

Mods:

The following mods are allowed:
The Teleporter mod and Warpinator are NOT allowed. If you use them, please disable them before attempting the ranked missions.

Custom parts:

No custom parts are allowed.

Textures pack:

All texture packs are allowed since they are only cosmetic.

For any questions feel free to ask them here: New Ranks! or in the thread below.

Picture, sharing link, and download of the probe for the Voyager Quest challenge:
Screenshot_20220719-130908.png
https://sharing.spaceflightsimulator.app/rocket/RCU73AdbEe2ftndcu4p9zg

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
You can BP edit in 1.35. If not, pick up an easy rocket that doesn’t requires BP editing.
Cough... Delta IV Heavy... Cough cough...

Loxy

TEAM HAWK
Under Pressure
Registered
So can i use one rocket in multiple missions? For example: i built the starship for replica mission and used it for mars mission

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So can i use one rocket in multiple missions? For example: i built the starship for replica mission and used it for mars mission
Yes, if you want an overkill style :p
How do I do this in 1.35 with no BP editing?
Also don't try to do bp editing on 1.35.... it's bit crappy compared to 1.4

Kaen

Under Pressure
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

Overview:
Team Frontier is the second set of challenges. It proves the player has some competent skills in SFS, and is at least capable to dock, plan basic interplanetary missions and do an accurate recreation. All THREE missions must be completed to get the rank.

What it unlocks?

[Will be filled soon!]
And of course, after that you are free to try Team Hawk missions.

Missions (they can be completed in any order, but all three of them must be completed):
  2. Build a space station around Earth: must be at least four separated launches, all rendezvous in LEO and docked together. You must document all 4 missions so the challenge counts as valid.
  3. Build a working 1:1 scale replica of a real rocket or shuttle: Must be capable of reach LEO at least, although suborbital vehicles, like the Mercury-Redstone will be accepted. Rockets that have been developed to a point, although not actually built, like the Sea Dragon, will be accepted. What will not be accepted are sci-fy crafts, like the USS Enterprise, or the Millenium Falcon. Currently Marmilo is the judge of the replica challenge.
General Rules:
  • Cheats are forbidden.
  • Bp editing part clipping is fine. Engine stretching is ONLY allowed on the replica challenge, but not for the rest of the missions. And if you do stretch some engines, you must add the necessary ballast to compensate the advantage.
  • Default Solar System must be used, although purely cosmetical planet packs will be accepted too. As an exception, IRIS by Altaïr will be allowed.

Mission Rewards:

Once you have all three of them, you get the official Team Frontier badge, which proves you’ve completed all three Frontier challenges: View attachment 61126

Any format is fine (screenshots, videos, other), but whatever you submit must show at least these key points:

Mars mission:
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Mars orbit
  • Mars surface
  • Back to Earth
  • Achievements
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
Replica:
  • Launchpad
  • Building grid
A more detailed guide about Team Frontier in general and its missions can be found here:
For any questions feel free to ask them here: New Ranks! or here: Team Frontier Instructions! or in the thread below.
Can I just put the Space Station on Lunar orbit? And also I am using SpaceX's VEM, can I use it as a solar system?, it only adds outer planets

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Can I just put the Space Station on Lunar orbit?
You can put the space station in your nans back garden as long as it's 4 launches and contains the components required.

And also I am using SpaceX's VEM, can I use it as a solar system?, it only adds outer planets
Does it change the positions, size and or gravity of the planets involved so it is easier to got to and return from them?
No?

Then why would it be a problem...?

Kaen

Under Pressure
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
You can put the space station in your nans back garden as long as it's 4 launches and contains the components required.

Does it change the positions, size and or gravity of the planets involved so it is easier to got to and return from them?
No?

Then why would it be a problem...?
Ok, I'mma do the entries

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend

Overview:
Team Frontier is the second set of challenges. It proves the player has some competent skills in SFS, and is at least capable to dock, plan basic interplanetary missions and do an accurate recreation. All THREE missions must be completed to get the rank.

What it unlocks?

[Will be filled soon!]
And of course, after that you are free to try Team Hawk missions.

Missions (they can be completed in any order, but all three of them must be completed):
  2. Build a space station around Earth: must be at least four separated launches, all rendezvous in LEO and docked together. You must document all 4 missions so the challenge counts as valid.
  3. Launch the supplied probe and reach solar escape velocity. No gravity assists, nor Ion engines. Starting position is the launchpad. The launch vehicle is limited to a total mass of 250 tons.
General Rules:
  • Cheats are forbidden.
  • Bp editing part clipping is fine. Engine stretching is ONLY allowed on the replica challenge, but not for the rest of the missions. And if you do stretch some engines, you must add the necessary ballast to compensate the advantage.
  • Default Solar System must be used, although purely cosmetical planet packs will be accepted too. As an exception, IRIS by Altaïr will be allowed on the Mars and space station missions only.
For the specific case of Voyager Quest challenge these constraints also apply:
  • Use only the supplied probe, or your recreation of it, no custom payload.
  • The mass of the launch vehicle for the entire mission is 250 tons. Meaning that the vehicle you spawn on the launchpad cannot be heavier than 250 tons (payload included).
  • Gravity assists are not allowed, just direct burns.
  • Ion engines are absolutely forbidden. Just chemical engines.

Mission Rewards:

Once you have all three of them, you get the official Team Frontier badge, which proves you’ve completed all three Frontier challenges: View attachment 61126

Mars mission:
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Mars orbit
  • Mars surface
  • Back to Earth
  • Achievements
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
Voyager Quest:
  • Building grid (so we can see the total mass)
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Map view when crossing the orbit of Mars. (This one is absolutely essential). Target speed is 7250 m/s.

A more detailed guide about Team Frontier in general and its missions can be found here:
For any questions feel free to ask them here: New Ranks! or here: Team Frontier Instructions! or in the thread below.

Picture and Download of the probe for the Voyager Quest challenge:
View attachment 68526
Post edited to include the Voyager Quest mission and remove the replica mission.

Space pilot

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Launch the supplied probe and reach solar escape velocity. No gravity assists, nor Ion engines. Starting position is the launchpad. The launch vehicle is limited to a total mass of 250 tons.
Ah shit, here we go again
I was living in East cost for five years