Team Hawk Entry - Proxima's Mercury Landing

Prox_xima

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Finally, Team Hawk. Lets get to it...

In case you read this before I have the Team Frontier badge, I just recently completed the Team Frontier challenges, which were all approved by Altair. Hopefully I'll get them soon, but no rush, I'll just continue on with what I have.

I wanted to do the most challenging thing on the list first: the Mercury landing. The process was very methodical, utilizing one lunar gravity assist (or GA), one earth GA, four Venus GA's, and one Mercury GA before making the final transition into a highly eccentric capture orbit around Mercury. The entire job probably took over 80 Earth years in time-warping to conserve a whopping 16% for the big landing.

After about 15 tries and some entry method fine-tuning, I managed to land without damaging either of the solar panels! :D I've attached the screenshots of the journey and a video of the final landing maneuvers for your viewing enjoyment, ...and for verification of course.

It's been a pleasure folks. Not quite sure what to do now. Maybe I'll have some celebratory coffee [TEA]

Cheers,
-Your friend from Proxima

Attachments

It's all about FAMILY

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
Listen dude, the elaborate journey you took, however unnecessary it may be, alone is worthy of applause. The knife's edge finish... well, I remember the first time I did it. Well, the first few times, to be precise. Took quite some figuring out to make it as challenging as possible.

Also, a sincere Bloody well done dude! to you and everyone who aced it. It's pure murder. It was designed to be. I know, Because I myself set it up...
(I did leave a tiny tiny tiny bit of leeway, so as to not make it too close to impossible)

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Impressive, you showed a very good understanding of how gravity assist works. And an extremely close landing o_O

Mooncrasher will give you your badge, congratulations and welcome into team Hawk :cool:

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Oh sorry :eek: I missed the ping. Welcome to Hawk.