Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Can there be refueling while doing orbital construction?
If orbital assembly is allowed then yes :)
All the ships you refuel from must have been launched in the scope of the mission though.

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
If orbital assembly is allowed then yes :)
All the ships you refuel from must have been launched in the scope of the mission though.
So I can just technically launch a refueling ship for just only refueling?

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I'm looking into attempting the Deja Vu challenge (not sure about it yet) and have a few questions.
1) Can ground equipment/facilities use infinite build area?
2) Can the first stage reach LEO (effectively making it SSTO) provided there is at least one other stage used to deliver the payload to a higher orbit (both launches)?
3) Can a fairing be part of the payload?
4) Is there a minimum payload mass?
5) Can parachutes be attached to a heatshield and parachutes+heatshield replaced?

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
1) Can ground equipment/facilities use infinite build area?
AFAIK yes.
2) Can the first stage reach LEO (effectively making it SSTO) provided there is at least one other stage used to deliver the payload to a higher orbit (both launches)?
No, no SSTOs. Besides, the upper stage would have to be reusable too.
4) Is there a minimum payload mass?
Nope
5) Can parachutes be attached to a heatshield and parachutes+heatshield replaced?
Parachutes can be reattached, I don't think heat sheilds can.

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
No, no SSTOs. Besides, the upper stage would have to be reusable too.
I'll try to clarify. The plan is to have a 2 stage reusable rocket + payload. The plan is:

Launch to low orbit (about 45km). The first stage has enough fuel for this (would be SSTO if on it own - this is what I'm unsure about).

Detach stage 2 leaving stage 1 in LEO.

Raise stage 2 + payload to medium(?) earth orbit. First test of this was to a 383kn/419km orbit.

Detach payload (includes fairing).

Lower stage 2 orbit to LEO.

At this point stage 1 and stage 2 are in LEO (about 45km) and the payload at approx 400km

Attempt to land both stages as close to the launchpad as possible.

Parachutes can be reattached, I don't think heat sheilds can.
Attempt to replace parachute sets for both stages. The stage 1 parachutes are attached to a heatshield so the heat shield gets replaced as well. The stage 1 parachutes are attached to a truss so the truss gets replaced as well (I've seen this accepted in other Deja Vu attempts).

Attempt to attach stage 2 to stage 1, payload to stage 2, raise ensemble to vertical (plan is to land them horizontally), refuel and relaunch.

Since the stages still have to be re-attached (lack of this was the quoted reason for no SSTOs) I was hoping this might be acceptable despite stage 1 being SSTO-capable.

An alternate plan would be to reattach stage 1 and stage 2 in orbit - land the combined stages, then re-attach just the payload - however that would be equivalent to a full SSTO design with some orbital assembly so probably would not be acceptable.

you did not answer:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I confirm that it's not allowed to have a first stage that is able to reach orbit by itself, it's considered a SSTO in this case.

About this...
Nothing prevents from having a fairing part being part of your payload, but if that's your question, the actual fairing must be part of the rocket and has to be reused too.

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I confirm that it's not allowed to have a first stage that is able to reach orbit by itself, it's considered a SSTO in this case.
Looks like this challenge is beyond me at the moment:

Have to land the first stage and launch the second stage to orbit at the same time - I can only control one rocket at a time and physics seems to switch off for rockets other than the one controlled. I've seen discarded stages that did not quite make LEO orbiting quite happily through the lower atmosphere, only to burn up once you switch to them.

The first stage lands too far from launchpad to be retreived - the best I've managed with 'drones' or with rovers in a reasonable time is a few kilometers. I mught be able to extend the practical rover limit a little using rocket-assisted rovers, but not to hundreds of kilometers.

Nothing prevents from having a fairing part being part of your payload, but if that's your question, the actual fairing must be part of the rocket and has to be reused too.
I might be able to solve this one, I've managed to create a hinge that opens > 90 degrees.

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I have not done or attempted this challenge so take everything I say with a pinch of salt, but I do have some ideas:
Have to land the first stage and launch the second stage to orbit at the same time - I can only control one rocket at a time and physics seems to switch off for rockets other than the one controlled. I've seen discarded stages that did not quite make LEO orbiting quite happily through the lower atmosphere, only to burn up once you switch to them.
Maybe make it so the first stage doesn't make the second stage gain much horizontal velocity, but make it so it launches the second stage to a high orbit so you have time to land the booster

This also solves your second problem that
The first stage lands too far from launchpad to be retreived - the best I've managed with 'drones' or with rovers in a reasonable time is a few kilometers. I mught be able to extend the practical rover limit a little using rocket-assisted rovers, but not to hundreds of kilometers.
So you could make it so the booster doesn't go that far (or fast) horizontally so it's easy to launch the booster to the launchpad

I might be able to solve this one, I've managed to create a hinge that opens > 90 degrees.
That wouldn't have been my first thought, I would have tried to make it so I could dock with the fairings afterward

I hope this helps, good luck on your quest to team hawk!

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I have not done or attempted this challenge so take everything I say with a pinch of salt, but I do have some ideas:

Maybe make it so the first stage doesn't make the second stage gain much horizontal velocity, but make it so it launches the second stage to a high orbit so you have time to land the booster

This also solves your second problem that

So you could make it so the booster doesn't go that far (or fast) horizontally so it's easy to launch the booster to the launchpad
I did a quick test trying this. I used my current design (1st stage SSTO) and launched it straight up. When it ran out of fuel (outside the atmosphere) I detached the second stage, rotated it 90 deg and started the engines until they ran out of fuel. Max height for first stage was about 860km. Managed to re-enter without overheating the heatshield and managed to land about 7km from the launchpad. So that strategy could work for the first stage. Needless to say the second stage did not reach orbit (it only has a dv of about 770).

There is a theoretical problem. Giving the second stage enough dv to reach orbital velocity on its own would make it close to being SSTO itself (not quite though - there is loss of dv due to fighting gravity and atmospheric friction). Giving it a TWR of <1 should ensure it cannot be SSTO.

This is a promising line to try, need to experiment with lower dv first stage and higher dv second stage - efficiency would be abysmal though!

(hinged fairings)
That wouldn't have been my first thought, I would have tried to make it so I could dock with the fairings afterward
I actually got this to work (no launcher, used warpinator to get it to orbit):
01_BP.PNG 02_Release.PNG 03_Closed.PNG

Successful de-orbited and re-entered. Needs more work to make it reusable - can't simply use a separator attached to the heatshield - and some sort of aerodynamic improvement is needed around the heatshield, but looks doable in principle.

I hope this helps, good luck on your quest to team hawk!
Thanks for your suggestions, this challenge is looking more promising.

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
This is a promising line to try, need to experiment with lower dv first stage and higher dv second stage - efficiency would be abysmal though!
Well this challenge is just to send any payload to orbit, no matter the efficiency
That's how you get goofy ass rockets like this:
boobhab.jpg

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Well this challenge is just to send any payload to orbit, no matter the efficiency
That's how you get goofy ass rockets like this:
View attachment 117208
What? Isn't that launcher magnificent? :)

Ok it's awful. It's for a reason that I named it after a banned member after all.
You know, actually I partly agree with you. When that challenge was made, there were no reentry effects so you didn't have to worry about how you reentered, which made this challenge easier. Still not easy, but easier. This is precisely the reason why I used that weird engine placement.
Note that I made that challenge in IRIS though, my pseudo-realistic planet pack, so this is why it needed that huge launcher for a small satellite though.

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I cam do the Deja Vu challenge in Realistic, right? It seems easier somehow.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I cam do the Deja Vu challenge in Realistic, right? It seems easier somehow.
You can, but I'm not sure about how it's supposed to be easier...

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Yes, I do it when I can.
It helps if people provide their reference schematics, saves a little time ;)