Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
For the reusability challenge do we need to cover the second 2nd stage landing or just 2nd payload deployment?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
For the reusability challenge do we need to cover the second 2nd stage landing or just 2nd payload deployment?
You have to land the second stage after the second deployment yes. But then you don't have to refurbish anything, we don't mind if it didn't land close to the pad and so on, the challenge ends there.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
You have to land the second stage after the second deployment yes. But then you don't have to refurbish anything, we don't mind if it didn't land close to the pad and so on, the challenge ends there.
OK, thanks for the quick reply I look forward to submitting the reusability challenge tomorrow!

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Attempt only after you’ve completed Team Frontier

Overview:
Team Hawk is the final set of challenges. It proves the player dominates SFS, and it is capable to plan and execute complex interplanetary missions, assemble effective launch vehicles, reuse them, to work under pressure, dominates the vital gravity assist, and can replicate a real rocket. Only three of the six missions need to be completed in order to get the rank, the three of your choice. As an exception, the Mercury Landing automatically awards Team Hawk If completed under certain conditions.

What it unlocks?
  • Ability to delete and edit your posts within 60 minutes of pressing send.
  • Even more signature permissions (extended length, images, formatting tricks, etc)
I accidentally found this topic on the forum.

Please, may i skip all previous challenges and perform only Mercury landing challenge? As a compensation for all missed challenges, i can do Mercury challenge at Realistic level of difficulty. I will provide screenshots and entire world folder with all quicksaves in it for review.

I only want to unlock the option of editing my messages at the forum, i don't need anything else, thus i want to skip everything, which can be skipped - the more stuff skipped the better.

Here is my topic at the forum, where you can see, that i already made all other missions for other challenges, and made them at Realistic level of difficulty:

Questions for Realictis level of difficulty

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
I accidentally found this topic on the forum.

Please, may i skip all previous challenges and perform only Mercury landing challenge? As a compensation for all missed challenges, i can do Mercury challenge at Realistic level of difficulty. I will provide screenshots and entire world folder with all quicksaves in it for review.

I only want to unlock the option of editing my messages at the forum, i don't need anything else, thus i want to skip everything, which can be skipped - the more stuff skipped the better.

Here is my topic at the forum, where you can see, that i already made all other missions for other challenges, and made them at Realistic level of difficulty:

Questions for Realictis level of difficulty
Sorry no matter how skilled you are you have to do it in order.
If you are skilled then that should make it a little easier to get there.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So you are saying, that I need to perform all these 5 missions below?

1. Land on the Moon and get back to Earth.

2. Land on Mars and get back to Earth: Just like the Moon mission before.

3. Build a space station around Earth: must be at least four separated launches, all rendezvous in LEO and docked together. You must document all 4 missions so the challenge counts as valid. The station must be complete, meaning it has an habitation module, solar panels, an escape craft, a separate docking area, and a way to change its orbit.

4. Launch the supplied probe and reach solar escape velocity. No gravity assists, nor Ion engines. Starting position is the launchpad. The launch vehicle is limited to a total mass of 265 tons.

5. Land on Mercury with what certain conditions? With two solar panels opened and not damaged after the landing? Or something else?

Missions 1, 2, 4 and 5 will not consume too much time, so i can do this. But mission 3 will consume a lot of time and all this time will be spent totally useless, completely for nothing, with zero fun at all. That is more than awful.

Can you at least replace №3 with another mission? Please, with any other mission you can think of, which will not waste tons of time for boring useless activity.

For example, i can build huge refueler station around Earth for my future mission "Landing on Saturn ground and coming home at Realistic level of game difficulty". This mission can benefit from such refueling station, it will allow me to upload to orbit bigger parts of Saturn ship with each launch from Earth, given that i can upload those parts with empty fuel tanks. So at least my time will not be totally wasted and the game will remain interesting all the time. I can do 4+ separate launches from Earch and assemble complete gas station in orbit.

I don't want any badges at all, so you can give me no badge for skipped 3rd mission and i will be totally happy. I want only forum messages editing feature and that is all.

SHΔRD Aerospace

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
So you are saying, that I need to perform all these 5 missions below?

1. Land on the Moon and get back to Earth.

2. Land on Mars and get back to Earth: Just like the Moon mission before.

3. Build a space station around Earth: must be at least four separated launches, all rendezvous in LEO and docked together. You must document all 4 missions so the challenge counts as valid. The station must be complete, meaning it has an habitation module, solar panels, an escape craft, a separate docking area, and a way to change its orbit.

4. Launch the supplied probe and reach solar escape velocity. No gravity assists, nor Ion engines. Starting position is the launchpad. The launch vehicle is limited to a total mass of 265 tons.

5. Land on Mercury with what certain conditions? With two solar panels opened and not damaged after the landing? Or something else?

Missions 1, 2, 4 and 5 will not consume too much time, so i can do this. But mission 3 will consume a lot of time and all this time will be spent totally useless, completely for nothing, with zero fun at all. That is more than awful.

Can you at least replace №3 with another mission? Please, with any other mission you can think of, which will not waste tons of time for boring useless activity.

For example, i can build huge refueler station around Earth for my future mission "Landing on Saturn ground and coming home at Realistic level of game difficulty". This mission can benefit from such refueling station, it will allow me to upload to orbit bigger parts of Saturn ship with each launch from Earth, given that i can upload those parts with empty fuel tanks. So at least my time will not be totally wasted and the game will remain interesting all the time. I can do 4+ separate launches from Earch and assemble complete gas station in orbit.

I don't want any badges at all, so you can give me no badge for skipped 3rd mission and i will be totally happy. I want only forum messages editing feature and that is all.
you only have to do 3 of those missions

AstronautAdam

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Guys, in Jovian moon mision is possible to orbit moon, detach lander, land lander, take off with lander, attach lander to orbiter, transfer fuel and "crew" from lander to orbiter and get back without lander? Please yonkee can I get answer ASAP?

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
They do have to do all
Then please specify more details.

I read that for Moon mission ion engines must not be used at all. For each of other missions in the list ion engines are not allowed as well? Do they not allowed completely, or only partially? Please specify conditions for partial tabu, if there are such.

I will make a big gas station in LEO with 4+ separated flights from Earth and then i will attach to all this complex in LEO an additional modules with solar panels, escape ships, alive and mobile astronauts, and with all other needed stuff. Will that qualify as a win for this mission?

Please show me some pictures of what "habitation module" actually is? I see nothing like this in my rocket editor parts sections. I have no idea what is this item at all, and even less idea about what parts i should bring to orbit and how those parts should be placed on the station.

What is exact list of conditions for completing Mercury mission? So it would immediately quilify for entire team Hawk win? I don't want to redo all mission again from the start because i broke one of conditions, which i was not aware of.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I read that for Moon mission ion engines must not be used at all. For each of other missions in the list ion engines are not allowed as well? Do they not allowed completely, or only partially? Please specify conditions for partial tabu, if there are such.
It's generally disallowed, with the only exception of the Jupiter moon mission where they can be used in a reasonable number.
All those rules are made supposing you use the standard solar system though, not the realistic one. In the standard solar system ions are totally OP, that's why we generally exclude them.

I will make a big gas station in LEO with 4+ separated flights from Earth and then i will attach to all this complex in LEO an additional modules with solar panels, escape ships, alive and mobile astronauts, and with all other needed stuff. Will that qualify as a win for this mission?
That would count yes. Don't forget a module with an engine so that the station has an autonomous propulsion. Even if you don't use it after that.

Please show me some pictures of what "habitation module" actually is? I see nothing like this in my rocket editor parts sections.
Just build a module made of fuel tanks and whatever you want, and pretend it's an habitation module. We are very open-minded about this. :)
Even if it's basic it's ok, it's not for the purpose of aesthetics.

Are those mods on the picture allowed during performing these missions? Or should they be deactivated?
Is this mod (at the link below) allowed during missions or should be deactivated?
Closest approach line
That's a question we still have to debate to be honest. The Vanilla upgrade is certainly ok, the closest approach line is probably fine too (we already accepted it from others anyway), but for the smart SAS mod it's still to be debated. I would recommend disabling that one. Even if it doesn't drastically change things in my opinion.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So i switch off SAS and change nothing else. Got it, thank you.

There are two more questions remained. About Mercury and about Probe mission.

What are the exact conditions for Mercury mission? It is mandatory to know all of it before starting any mission at all, or there is no point in starting it.

For launching probe mission i will start new world with normal level, to fit into launcher weight limitation - that i understand. But what means gravity assist is not allowed? Literally any movement is guaranteed gravity assist of some sort. Being in LEO is gravity assist from the Earth already! Moving free inside Solar system in open space is gravity assist from the Sun itself, since it curves our trajectory. How one can avoid any gravity influence at all?

What moves are not counted as gravity assists?

I don't understand the parameters of the mission, please explain it. What should i perform exactly? Do i need just to send probe to next star with Oberth maneuvers from LEO and that is all? Or something entirely different is required?

And what means "supplied probe"? What it should be supplied with? Please, can you just directly name the full list of objects, which must be attached to the probe?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
What are the exact conditions for Mercury mission? It is mandatory to know all of it before starting any mission at all, or there is no point in starting it.
It's true that the first post is not very clear about that. You're supposed to start the mission from LEO (35×35km) with that ship:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-29-11-43-28.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-29-09-50-31.jpg
Then you have to land on Mercury with it, you are free to use whatever trajectory you want (gravity assist and so on).

But what means gravity assist is not allowed? Literally any movement is guaranteed gravity assist of some sort. Being in LEO is gravity assist from the Earth already! Moving free inside Solar system in open space is gravity assist from the Sun itself, since it curves our trajectory. How one can avoid any gravity influence at all?

What moves are not counted as gravity assists?
A gravity assist is a fly-by, orbiting a body is not a gravity assist! Using VEEGA counts as gravity assist. Aiming for Jupiter and making a fly-by to throw yourself to interstellar space is a gravity assist.
In the case of the Voyager quest, the purpose is to manage to leave the solar system by relying on efficient rocket design, that's why we exclude other planets assistance.

And what means "supplied probe"? What it should be supplied with? Please, can you just directly name the full list of objects, which must be attached to the probe?
It's in the thread for Frontier instructions:
Team Frontier Instructions!

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Do i need to throw a probe out of Solar system by Obert burn from Earth LEO? After i had placed probe with a ship in LEO at 35x35? Is Oberth allowed?

At your picture of the Mercury Ship i see there is an uknown number of parts clipping, i have no idea how much stuff clipped there. If you have a blueprint file with it, please send me one. Or can i use a launcher like the one below? Then i will land on opened solar panels with it. Will this count as automatic award of Team Hawk?

1674906459882.png

XenonSpace

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
Do i need to throw a probe out of Solar system by Obert burn from Earth LEO? After i had placed probe with a ship in LEO at 35x35? Is Oberth allowed?
If you're trying Voyager Quest (T. Frontier), you must use the probe from the Team Frontier Instructions, and build your own rocket below 265 tons and throw it out of the Solar System. You can't use fly-bys of other bodies, but Oberth maneuver is allowed. so you must maximize the potential of it.

The Mercury mission (T. Hawk) uses a different probe, and put it in a 35*35 km orbit. Then use gravity assists and optimize Oberth maneuver to reach Mercury orbit. You must land the probe however you like, as it;
Automatically awards Team Hawk If completes without breaking any solar panel, Team Hawk requires one more mission if you break a single solar panel, Team Hawk requires two more missions if you break both solar panels. If anything else breaks, your entry is disqualified.
I believe you can easily do that.

At your picture of the Mercury Ship i see there is an uknown number of parts clipping, i have no idea how much stuff clipped there. If you have a blueprint file with it, please send me one.
Use this probe, I believe it's the same as what people use.

can i use a launcher like the one below?
No, one must land it without any modification to the ship.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
No, one must land it without any modification to the ship.
Where can i get the original ship?
Is landing to Mercury without damage enough to complete the mission?
Coming home to Earth is not needed then?

If i just do one single clipping of Android module with the engine, will that be original? Like this one:
1674922618020.png

So i don't need to take off from Earth? Mission starts when exact copy of that thing is orbitin Earth at 35 km and mission ends when i sit down on Mercury?

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Mission to the Moon completed. Had to cut in two parts, because i caught that nasty bug again and had to restart the game to clean broken data from memory. But there are LOLs in part two though - i forgot to switch off magnetic power for my connector and my cappy stuck there at first time :D, then tumbled nicely in the atmosphere another time.

AstronautAdam

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Mission to the Moon completed. Had to cut in two parts, because i caught that nasty bug again and had to restart the game to clean broken data from memory. But there are LOLs in part two though - i forgot to switch off magnetic power for my connector and my cappy stuck there at first time :D, then tumbled nicely in the atmosphere another time.

Bro, I think that you are trying to do team entries. If I am right, why did you posted it here? There are places where they belongs-Team Titan entries-moon mission and Voyager to Team Frontier entries, not instruction and ultimately not Team Hawk. If you only want help from us, then still move it in right teams but now to instructions or New ranks separate thread somewhere else on this forum.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Oops, sorry AstronautAdam, i forgot that.

I made copies of my previous two messages in the proper forum threads, please delete my two previous messages here. And delete this message too.