Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I don't understand how many engines are reasonable and what counts as spam. Can these ships be considered spam? And if so, why?
View attachment 100344 View attachment 100343 View attachment 100342
Hello, sorry for the delay. To be honest it's hard to define what's a fair use of ion engines. Your second and third designs are clearly spammy. For the first it's not as clear, but the problem is that this ship could easily handle the whole mission by itself from LEO. And it's still true with a reduced number of ion engines and less fuel tanks, the ship would still have way enough ΔV and enough TWR to land on any moon.

We can't leave you without an answer, so for now I suggest that ion engines are allowed for interplanetary transfers, but are not to be used for landers. That's a wise suggestion from Catalyst_Kh.

S

Sportgus

Hello, sorry for the delay. To be honest it's hard to define what's a fair use of ion engines. Your second and third designs are clearly spammy. For the first it's not as clear, but the problem is that this ship could easily handle the whole mission by itself from LEO. And it's still true with a reduced number of ion engines and less fuel tanks, the ship would still have way enough ΔV and enough TWR to land on any moon.

We can't leave you without an answer, so for now I suggest that ion engines are allowed for interplanetary transfers, but are not to be used for landers. That's a wise suggestion from Catalyst_Kh.
I guess the amount of ions depends on your own morality :p

MasterOgon

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered

Thanks, I've looked into this issue and decided to drop ions in this case. You have already approved my flight

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I don't understand the rules for Deja Vu challenge, what needs to be done exactly.

Please give me the links to some accepted challenges, as examples of what needs to be done.

For example, i have 3 stages of the rocket on launchpad at the start, i launch it, i detach 1st stage and it will land on parachutes safely, then i reach orbit and land with my 2nd and 3rd stages still connected. Nothing is damaged, but what is next? Do i need to simply take off again with these 2 stages, detach 2nd stage mid flight, land 2nd stage safely with parachutes, and simply reach orbit second time with my 3rd stage? Then with second LEO mission is concluded?

Or i can do all that with 2 stages rocket from the start and take off first time with two stages, then land 1st stage, take orbit with 2nd stage, land 2nd stage and take off second time with only second stage and reach orbit again with it?

What means reassemble? Do i have to land my 1st 2nd stage from orbit to some exact place on the planet where first stage landed and connect to this first stage again with connect ports to make a totally new take off with two stages again? So basically i will have SSTO with 1 stage, which has extra useless 2nd stage, to take it as a backpack twice and the idea of the mission is to pick up this backpack after dropping it after first take-off?

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Or i can do all that with 2 stages rocket from the start and take off first time with two stages, then land 1st stage, take orbit with 2nd stage, land 2nd stage and take off second time with only second stage and reach orbit again with it?
You're supposed to reuse all the stages you used, save for some re-mountable parachutes.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
You're supposed to reuse all the stages you used, save for some re-mountable parachutes.
Reuse HOW exactly? In which way? Can you give an example or explain in more details?

What exactly do i need to do with landed 1st stage?

What exactly do i need to do with landed 2nd stage?

Should landed stages be reconnected again on the ground or that is not necessary?

Is 2nd stages's second take-off to orbit on it's own considered as a pass, since it was not SSTO on the first take-off action, or it is not a pass?

Should all used stages (2 or more) be connected again on the ground and launched to orbit second time in the same way and connection form as first time?

If you ever saw at least one deja vu that was a pass, please give a link to it.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I don't understand the rules for Deja Vu challenge, what needs to be done exactly.

Please give me the links to some accepted challenges, as examples of what needs to be done.

For example, i have 3 stages of the rocket on launchpad at the start, i launch it, i detach 1st stage and it will land on parachutes safely, then i reach orbit and land with my 2nd and 3rd stages still connected. Nothing is damaged, but what is next? Do i need to simply take off again with these 2 stages, detach 2nd stage mid flight, land 2nd stage safely with parachutes, and simply reach orbit second time with my 3rd stage? Then with second LEO mission is concluded?

What means reassemble? Do i have to land my 1st 2nd stage from orbit to some exact place on the planet where first stage landed and connect to this first stage again with connect ports to make a totally new take off with two stages again? So basically i will have SSTO with 1 stage, which has extra useless 2nd stage, to take it as a backpack twice and the idea of the mission is to pick up this backpack after dropping it after first take-off?
The purpose is to make a fully reusable rocket compound of at least 2 stages. The concept must be proven by flying the rocket a first time, reassembling everything (refueling the rocket, replacing the parachutes, and mounting the second stage on top of the first stage) so that the rocket can fly again, and perform the second flight.

I did that one here: Reusable "rocket"

I did it in IRIS, but it was incredibly difficult. To be honest that challenge was designed before reentry was added to the game, it was easier originally.

Reuse HOW exactly? In which way? Can you give an example or explain in more details?
Refuel it, renew the parachutes if some were used, reassemble it, add a new payload, deliver it to LEO and reentering again.

What exactly do i need to do with landed 1st stage?
Refuel it, change the parachutes if needed. Apart from the fuel and parachutes which are consumable, this must be the exact same rocket.

What exactly do i need to do with landed 2nd stage?
Same, plus docking it on top of the first stage, and giving it a new payload.

Should they be connected again on the ground or that is not necessary?
Yes, they should be connected again.

Is 2nd stages's second take-off to orbit on it's own considered as a pass, since it was not SSTO on the first take-off action, or it is not a pass?
No, the whole launcher must fly again in the exact same conditions as the first flight.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Marmilo , Altaïr - thank you very much!

More questions:

1. Should second take-off action carry a new payload from the ground?

Or is it allowed to make second take-off without a new payload?

2. What are the requirements for first payload and second payload? (if second is required at all)

For example, if my payload will be a simple android module of 3 tons, which i will throw away in orbit and forget about it, is it a pass? Or if it will be a structure square of totall mass of 0.05 t, is it a pass?

Or i need to retake (capture) my deployed (detached previously) first payload in orbit, land it with my rocket back to Earth and then make a second take-off with the same payload, which was in orbit first time and was brought back from orbit to the ground?

3. Is second landing required at all or challenge is concluded after i reach orbit 2nd time and simply quit the game at this point?

Providing that detached 1st stage landed safely second time.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
So when i deploy second payload, does mission concludes here? Or i need to land my orbital stage second time too?
You need to land your stages a second time, and the mission ends here. You don't have to refurbish anything after the second landing, we don't even mind if you didn't land them close to the launchpad.

Cookie Aerospace

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
SpaceFanThatIsWaiting, I highly reconmend that you don't harass the staff, this is an international forum. The staff also isn't on here 24/7. Also, did you read the instructions? You first have to complete team titan, and then you need to complete team frontier. Don't threaten the staff. You also need to create a new (separate) thread. You MUST complete all of Team Titan and Team Frontier. This is not optional.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Sorry but you have to start with team Titan. Then you can accomplish the team Frontier missions and finally team Hawk. I suggest that you read the FAQ first, that kind of things is explained in it. Also please create your own thread to show your mission, don't post it in the main instruction thread, and make sure you read the instructions. In particular cheats are forbidden for the official challenges.

i said GIB TITLE NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Don't spam please.

Hermes

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Sorry but you have to start with team Titan. Then you can accomplish the team Frontier missions and finally team Hawk. I suggest that you read the FAQ first, that kind of things is explained in it. Also please create your own thread to show your mission, don't post it in the main instruction thread, and make sure you read the instructions. In particular cheats are forbidden for the official challenges.

Don't spam please.
There should be an over-achiever badge for people who try to complete teams out of order. It would show that they can do the complicated things but just need to do the other things first. Also, is there a complete list of all the badges (and what they are for) somewhere?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Also, is there a complete list of all the badges (and what they are for) somewhere?
No, but at least the badges related to ranked missions are listed in the instruction threads. For other badges team Kolibri is for moderators, team Valiant is for administrators, modder is for... modders, and the rest is mostly compound of honorary titles (like MOTY or forum legend).

Hermes

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
No, but at least the badges related to ranked missions are listed in the instruction threads. For other badges team Kolibri is for moderators, team Valiant is for administrators, modder is for... modders, and the rest is mostly compound of honorary titles (like MOTY or forum legend).
Should I make one? I can put one together if you dm me what the staff ones are.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Should I make one? I can put one together if you dm me what the staff ones are.
Thing is, you don't have the full information by yourself it won't be practical. Plus if we make an official thread it also means we have to maintain it. We don't create new badges frequently, but the modder role is not that old for example.

S

Sportgus

What's a Jovian moon? And could you give me and could you explain what the mission EXACTLY is?
A Jovian moon is one of Jupiter's moons, Jovian Jupiter. You have to land on any of Jupiter's moons and return back to earth with no damages, unless they are empty fuel tanks or stages. You are allowed to construct your rocket on the launchpad or in orbit.