AstronautAdam

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Oops, sorry AstronautAdam, i forgot that.

I made copies of my previous two messages in the proper forum threads, please delete my two previous messages here. And delete this message too.
Sorry bro, I m not admin;( Only some ol' member

XenonSpace

ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Registered
Is landing to Mercury without damage enough to complete the mission?
Coming home to Earth is not needed then?

If i just do one single clipping of Android module with the engine, will that be original? Like this one:
So i don't need to take off from Earth? Mission starts when exact copy of that thing is orbitin Earth at 35 km and mission ends when i sit down on Mercury?
Yes.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
For the jovian mission do we need to enter orbit around the moon?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
For the jovian mission do we need to enter orbit around the moon?
It's not mandatory but still strongly advised... Anyway, you can do it as you like. Since you're normally supposed to provide a screenshot of your ship in jovian moon's orbit you can replace it with a screenshot of your ship entering the jovian moon's SOI, to show how you proceed for that part.

AstronautAdam

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Guys, have anybody working quicksave for Mercury landing on 1.5.9? Seems like original dont work

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
1675381895889.png

Hotfix for the atlas mission since the buildgrid is now 16m taller.
Dang it Stef.:p

Edit: no it is not, that was my silly mistake. Leaving the edit there anyway because it may prevent someone misunderstanding and using infinite build grid.

Last edited:

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Is it at all possible to do a challenge 3 like thing in realistic and if so how would it work?

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
it's essentially about coming up with something that has the right dV to be the same difficulty, we could take a look at it if there's demand

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
it's essentially about coming up with something that has the right dV to be the same difficulty, we could take a look at it if there's demand
There is. I would rather do it at Realistic level enjoying the gameplay itself, than doing it at Easy (Normal) level in ultimately crippled and unrealistic solar system.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
If it does happen count me in!

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
What weight would be appropriate for atlas realistic?

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
At Realistic level of game difficulty with good launcher system you can bring 6%-7% of starting mass as payload to LEO, depending on size and shape of payload.

When my launcher was really bad and i used incorrect takeoff trajectory to make things even worse - i still could bring 5%. Thus you may count 4% or 4.5% as the worst case possible.

Hermes

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Would I be able to use my station from the floater mission as an interplanetary vessel to carry a lander for the Jovian moon mission?

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Everything that is used needs to be recorded in screenshots or video for display, aside from that there's no restrictions on the number of launches or the style of craft used.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
UPDATE!

The first post has been updated to include the list of mods we allow. Please check it if you are a Steam player and you play with mods.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I have a concrete proposal.

Original Mercury Rocket in default game world with "Normal" game difficulty is making exactly 3.601 km of ΔV.

Realistic game difficulty have 20 times more distances and sizes, which requires exactly 20^0.5 = 4.47 times more ΔV for performing the same operations in comparison to the same performance in "Normal" world with 1:20 distances.

This means that we can simply multiply 3.601 by 4.47 and get the number 16.104 km of required ΔV for Realistic.

Original Mercury Rocket itself at Realistic level already can make 6.696 km of ΔV because of x1.5 ISP bonus, much lighter fuel tanks, and little more fuel in those tanks all combined. So we lack only 16.104 - 6.696 = 9.408 km of ΔV.

Thus we can simply add second stage to Original Mercury Rocket, which can make additional +9.408 km of ΔV.

And those two stages - Original Mercury Rocket plus second stage connected to it, orbiting Earth at low orbit above atmosphere (for example at 115 km above the ground) - will be start of the mission.

For example, it can look like this:
1676080541241.png

This second stage can do only 9.399 km of ΔV. It is simple and convenient. And the entire mass of this complex is 372.69 t.

But since it will not be possible to bring this entire complex in one launch from Earth - it must be connected by sections somehow. And connected parts can be dumped during the way to gain little more ΔV.

But connectors also have weight, so making fuel tank parts too small would lose ΔV instead.

For example, "Multi second stage" in the picture below can do 8.978 km of ΔV and it weighs only 296.11 t.

1676082401141.png

So it allows you to make very simple and convenient rules like this:

At Realistic level the starting rocket have to be in LEO at 115/115 km above the ground, and it must have the exactly Original Mercury Rocket plus any kind of separate second+third++ stages as additional propulsion system, with any configuration by players choice, but entire weight of all starting rocket with all stages must be no more than 300 t.

And people can assemble any formation they like, with full comfort, but they still will get no more than +9 km of ΔV from all additional stages.

You can allow more mass, like 320 t, if you wish. For example, this rocket below weighs 326.49 t, but can make only +9.378 km of ΔV.

1676082806076.png

So it is hard to imagine, that somebody can produce more than +9.408 of ΔV with 320 t limitation. And even if somebody will find a way to squeeze little more meters - then let it be, let's appreciate their constructional skills and let them have this little bonus reward then.

Thus in addition to original challenge itself, you also improve it by allowing players to exercise some creativity in designing all additional stages and connecting it in LEO from several launches from Earth. And also this will force them to be much better navigators if they made very inefficient design of their rocket, since they have to complete the mission with less ΔV in their hands.

So, what do you think about all that?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
do you have to complete the other team challenges first or can I go strait to this one?
You have to start with team Titan first. Then team Frontier, and then you can attempt the team Hawk challenges.