Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Normal Difficulty?
The standard is normal difficulty yes, which is the original game mode. Hard or realistic are accepted if you want an extra-challenge however.

also I vanilla upgrades mod allowed
The original rule is "no mod", since modding is still a recent thing, but I guess we can accept this one. This is not something we had much the opportunity to discuss, but we would obviously reject any game changing mod like custom engines for example.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Are you allowed to stretch solar panels so that when deployed they have higher amounts of drag when landing on a reasuability mission?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Are you allowed to stretch solar panels so that when deployed they have higher amounts of drag when landing on a reasuability mission?
I assume for the reusability mission for team Hawk? We are in the team Titan instructions thread...
We never thought about such possibility before to be honest. The spirit of the rule is that bp editing is allowed as long as you don't get an unfair advantage from it ("unfair" in the sense "that breaks physics"). Using the extra-length of stretched solar panels is fair to me in this sense (drag is still proportional to the exposed surface in the end), but stretched panels don't have their mass increased in proportion. This could be fair if you add some ballast to compensate. What's your opinion Mooncrasher ?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
It's a very similar discussion to stretched engines, where the characteristics do appropriately change, but the mass does not.
To be consistent and simple, I'd say that the answer to "stretched solar panels with ballast" is no, at least for this time.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
It's a very similar discussion to stretched engines, where the characteristics do appropriately change, but the mass does not.
To be consistent and simple, I'd say that the answer to "stretched solar panels with ballast" is no, at least for this time.
How big should the balast be/how would I calculate that? Sorry for putting it in this thread, I'll pay more attention in the future.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
How big should the balast be/how would I calculate that? Sorry for putting it in this thread, I'll pay more attention in the future.
X and Y are multipliers, if X is 2 for example, that means it's stretched 2x in the X direction. So the mass that it ought to be is 2x.
Then you work out how much mass that is, and subtract the original mass that's already there, and boom, that's how much ballast you need.
Although you can't do stretching in the team mission, this is still a handy tip for regular play to do it properly.

TheRealSheep5

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Overview:
Team Titan is the most basic and easiest of the missions in SFS, a Moon landing. It shows that the player has some basic skills in SFS, like simple space navigation. It does not require any optimization, nor efficiency to be fulfilled.

What it unlocks?
  • Basic Text Formatting (bold, italic, underline, etc) in signatures
  • The ability to edit your own posts (for 5 minutes)
  • And of course, after that you are free to try Team Frontier missions.
Mission:
  1. Land on the Moon and get back to Earth.

General Rules:
  • Cheats are forbidden.
  • Ion engines cannot be used.
  • Nothing (except obviously dumped stages) must be damaged.
  • BP Editing/Part Clipping is allowed, but engine stretching and "no engine heat" is forbidden.
  • Default ‘Stock’ Solar System must be used, although both visual-only modifications are allowed.
    • As an exception, IRIS by Altaïr will be allowed. Other RSS-like packs may be evaluated in the future.

Mission reward:

Completing this mission unlocks the following badge:
View attachment 60782

How do I prove that I did the mission?

Any format is fine (screenshots, videos, other), but whatever you submit must show at least these key points of the flight:
  • Launchpad
  • Earth orbit
  • Moon orbit
  • Moon surface
  • Back to Earth
  • Achievements
Note that a full screen capture is required for all these steps (no cropped screenshots). This is to allow us to evaluate the consistency of the mission (fuel gauges, non-use of cheats...).

If your rocket is bp-edited, we might also require the blueprint to check that all modifications are legal.

For any question, feel free to ask in this thread New Ranks! or below.
Why is no engine heat not allowed what if my build simulates rows of engines?

Like I can understand someone stacking 400 titans and going to the moon like that, but I'm asking if I could use it for like 4 engines stacked so I don't need a super wide rocket. The build I have has 2 titans and 2 frontiers on the core stage, 4 hawks and 2 titans on each side booster, and 7 frontiers on the second stage. Mainly for speeding through with the mission and aesthetics. Plus the rocket is super heavy so I need the engines like that

here's a flight that I did before

Attachments

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Why is no engine heat not allowed what if my build simulates rows of engines?

Like I can understand someone stacking 400 titans and going to the moon like that, but I'm asking if I could use it for like 4 engines stacked so I don't need a super wide rocket. The build I have has 2 titans and 2 frontiers on the core stage, 4 hawks and 2 titans on each side booster, and 7 frontiers on the second stage. Mainly for speeding through with the mission and aesthetics. Plus the rocket is super heavy so I need the engines like that

here's a flight that I did before
Sorry but no, this is clearly an abuse. Heat management is an important problem in rocketry. The same as you can't remove gravity, drag or disable fuel consumption, you can't remove heat from engines, it's part of the game.

By the way you don't have 400 Titan engines, but you still have 6 Titan, 8 Hawk and 2 Frontier that you ignite at lift-off, this is 3560 tons of thrust in total. This is overkill, you don't need such a big rocket. A rocket powered by a single Hawk can largely do the mission.

Don't misunderstand me, you can complete the mission with an overkill rocket, you would still get the badge. But this is an official challenge, you still have to follow the rules.

TheRealSheep5

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Sorry but no, this is clearly an abuse. Heat management is an important problem in rocketry. The same as you can't remove gravity, drag or disable fuel consumption, you can't remove heat from engines, it's part of the game.

By the way you don't have 400 Titan engines, but you still have 6 Titan, 8 Hawk and 2 Frontier that you ignite at lift-off, this is 3560 tons of thrust in total. This is overkill, you don't need such a big rocket. A rocket powered by a single Hawk can largely do the mission.

Don't misunderstand me, you can complete the mission with an overkill rocket, you would still get the badge. But this is an official challenge, you still have to follow the rules.
Understood. Overkill rocket was for overkill lander

I’ll fix it

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Crashes are crashes, if they show up on your achievements screen it's disqualified.

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I cant orbit the moon for some reason. Every time I try, it just gets into a weird orbit around Earth or around the sun, oh how many humans are now stranded out in space forever, because of me...

ILovespace3

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Like this:
Screenshot (110).png

Screenshot (111).png

And then, when everything's going well, this happens:

Screenshot (112).png

I get in a super wonky orbit around Earth, not the moon. Everywhere I turn it wont let me orbit or land. I need some help!