The Asteroid belt

If the asteroid belt is so dangerous to spacecraft then why don't they go around it? It's not as if it's a sphere around the sun is it?

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
If the asteroid belt is so dangerous to spacecraft then why don't they go around it? It's not as if it's a sphere around the sun is it?
Asteroids are big.... They're already been mapped but not fully...

Also it ain't clustered like movies or kid's videos... They're spaced out, means they far from each other...

The Astronomer

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
If an asteroid hits a spacecraft, probe, satellite or pretty much anything humans have made, then the asteroid will be the one coming out the best
Yeah but the chances of that happening is astronomically tiny. As Mars Pathfinder said the asteroid belt is extremely sparse. An asteroid in the belt is on average about a million kilometers away from its neighbors at any time.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
It is not dangerous. Asteroids are spaced out by billions of kilometers and most of them have trajectories that have already been calculated. It is NOT like you see in the movies with thousands of tiny asteroids coming out of nowhere to hit you. Not to mention that a change of orbital plane in solar orbit to avoid the Asteroid Belt would be tremendously expensive in Terms of DeltaV. Like... thousands and thousands of meters per second of DeltaV.

It is not dangerous. Asteroids are spaced out by billions of kilometers and most of them have trajectories that have already been calculated. It is NOT like you see in the movies with thousands of tiny asteroids coming out of nowhere to hit you. Not to mention that a change of orbital plane in solar orbit to avoid the Asteroid Belt would be tremendously expensive in Terms of DeltaV. Like... thousands and thousands of meters per second of DeltaV.
I know that, but it's the simple fact that if one hits a spacecraft, it's the end for that craft.

Kirbyisbest

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
I know that, but it's the simple fact that if one hits a spacecraft, it's the end for that craft.
Yes, but spacecraft might have thrusters (if does not have any, it will have its fast velocity and dodges it) and will dodge the unnoticed asteroid. And when you say its dangerous, imagine that space debris hitting the iss again but 10 times faster.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Yes, but spacecraft might have thrusters (if does not have any, it will have its fast velocity and dodges it) and will dodge the unnoticed asteroid. And when you say its dangerous, imagine that space debris hitting the iss again but 10 times faster.
The chances of that happening are minimun.
Also the spacecraft's flight path are carefully planned from the start. That makes the spacecraft much safer.

NASA or other space agency aren't yeetin spacecraft randomly. They plan it before executing the mission itself.