The Empire of the Dark Star: backstory

You ever heard of the UES Eternal Light? Well, neither did the public. It was a massive colony ship that carried 1 billion souls on a journey outside the solar system in 2331. I was the captain on that ship. We set off towards the inner solar system to preform a gravity slingshot around the sun. It should have been normal...it wasn't. Someone or something took control of our guidance systems and instead of going 10000 km from the sun, we ended up 500 km from the sun. The ship was ripped to pieces and hurled outside the solar system. Many people were killed; I don't know how many exactly, but there were many deaths. I was on the front half of the ship that was torn away from the propulsion section, where were millions died. I was tormented by the isolation and by the time we passed into the sphere of influence of Jupiter, I was the last survivor. And yet, you know where the all of ship's debris crashed? Callisto. I survived there for many years...many years indeed. And in that time, I found that a total of 100000 people survived, their numbers dispersed across the chunks of the Ship. And over time, we built up a civilization and have taken control of all the Jovian moons.