The Moon Tour

AstroThis

«★» Dronid «★» // PT
Registered
Welcome here to participate in the Moon Tour !!

What's the "Moon Tour" ?
Well the "Moon Tour" is a World Tour but on the Moon. You have to drive a Rover all around the Moon.
Rules :

- You have to drive, not to fly or orbit around the Moon, so you must have functionnal wheels.
-You can use reactors to increase your speed (like that : (Work on Progress fast rover))
Screenshot_20200714-185347_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

- No cheat when you are driving your Rover.
-Cheats are ok only for 0g assembly
-Land something that show your departure and your finish like
-Of course DLC use is ok
-BP editing is ok (I'll try to do without personnaly)

Personnally, I'm still testing few Rovers for this Moon Tour (you saw one in this thread presentation). When I'll finish my challenge I'll show you some screenshots when I've finish it !!

Have fun and feel free to ask me some questions !!

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Nice idea but... the Moon's circumference makes nearly 550 km. That's quite a long run! Of course you can make a fast rover with engines, but this will still require a lot of time, and your fuel won't last forever... Even with ion engines you may be short!
Good luck if you try it anyway :)

T

TtTOtW

If it still is, and considering the 200m elevation over theoretical zero, at an average of 10m/s it will require 15 hours, 7 minutes and 55 seconds of nonstop, no slowing down driving. Sound reasonable? OK so I tried it once on Mars... Didn't do a whole 10km...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Altaïr what is the Moon radius? Still 86500m? I can't check, simpleton phone.
Yes, it's still 86500m. Now it depends on your average speed as you said, but this will at least require a few hours indeed. I'm not saying it's impossible, but this requires a LOT of patience... And I don't have it :)

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
dang i usually broke my rover while in moon (slammin on craters) welp i have usually high speed (then slammed in crater) then boom i have only reached almost 1k meters from my lunar base (i stop it but slammed in crater)(which i ran out of patience and propellant)

:3 :3 :3

AstroThis

«★» Dronid «★» // PT
Registered
I work on a Rover wich will be pushed by some ion engines. If I run out of fuel, I'll sent a fuel tank from my moon station (Horus). And I'll do the trip in at least 4-5 stops. When the adventure will begin, I'll send you some screenshots.

AstroThis

«★» Dronid «★» // PT
Registered
I finished the test of the rover, and I decided to name it : The Lag Monster.
To accelerate it, I put on it 412 ion engines with many wheels... Thanks of all those engines, The Lag Monster can go at 50 m/s ! But... With 412 engines, my game have a lot of lags....
My Lag Monster :
Screenshot_20200715-101849_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I finished the test of the rover, and I decided to name it : The Lag Monster.
To accelerate it, I put on it 412 ion engines with many wheels... Thanks of all those engines, The Lag Monster can go at 50 m/s ! But... With 412 engines, my game have a lot of lags....
My Lag Monster :
View attachment 41775
thats a lot of ions and noice tank wheel :3 :3

AstroThis

«★» Dronid «★» // PT
Registered
Its top speed is great, that's what I wanted (around 40m.s-1) but it's the major problem of the Rover too. If I hit a hill, my wheels are exploding... So, I'll put a 17m.s-1 Rover on the top of my Lag Monster. If there's any problem, I detach it and try to finish my travel with it. Now, the other problem is : how I'll bring a 850t rover on the Moon. This big tank is large as the construction space in DLC... So I have to do huge rocket that can bring almost 1 kiloton to the moon. The cool point is the existence of the kiloton club in the SFS forum !! I'll read all this thread and inspire me to create my rocket.

(How can I name this rocket ?)

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Its top speed is great, that's what I wanted (around 40m.s-1) but it's the major problem of the Rover too. If I hit a hill, my wheels are exploding... So, I'll put a 17m.s-1 Rover on the top of my Lag Monster. If there's any problem, I detach it and try to finish my travel with it. Now, the other problem is : how I'll bring a 850t rover on the Moon. This big tank is large as the construction space in DLC... So I have to do huge rocket that can bring almost 1 kiloton to the moon. The cool point is the existence of the kiloton club in the SFS forum !! I'll read all this thread and inspire me to create my rocket.

(How can I name this rocket ?)
In need of a heavy lifter?
I have something to help you:
https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.php?threads/ultra-large-parts-heavy-launcher-the-sssls.5059/
Normally that launcher is not to be used in challenges, but if the challenge is not about the lift capacity itself it's ok :)

AstroThis

«★» Dronid «★» // PT
Registered
This is at least twice as great as the Moon without warp challenge, I think I’ve roved near a third of Ganymede looking for an ideal mining pit

This might be better on Phobos where low gravity has something to say

T

TtTOtW

This is at least twice as great as the Moon without warp challenge, I think I’ve roved near a third of Ganymede looking for an ideal mining pit

This might be better on Phobos where low gravity has something to say
Yes... but that wouldn't be a roving challenge... :)

AstroThis

«★» Dronid «★» // PT
Registered
I'm actually in the Moon landing sequence and the rocket I use was just about to hit my lunar station. I think there was like 5-10 Meters of distance at one moment...
Screenshot_20200715-162351_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

AstroThis

«★» Dronid «★» // PT
Registered
It's with many tears that I announce you a bad news.... I hit the moon surface with to much speed so my rocket explosed and my secundary Rover was destroyed... After few meters, my ion engines pushed me with to much speed and I hit the ground with more than 10m.s-1.... The Lag Monster is dead on the Moon surface...
Screenshot_20200715-164501_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
Screenshot_20200715-164507_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg