Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Let me present the Obsidian:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-23-10-04-03.jpg

The Obsidian is a heavy lifter originally designed for IRIS, but that also works for SFS in realistic mode. It can easily send 100 tons and more in Low Earth Orbit.

Its high capacity and its large cargo hold make it very suitable to send complex and heavy modules, or large amounts of fuel.

All staging operations are already programmed so you can fully focus on your payload.

You can use it to design a Moon landing and return mission for example, it has largely enough capacity for this.

Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-23-10-04-24.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-21-18-28-19.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-23-10-41-01.jpg

Direct download link: https://sharing.spaceflightsimulator.app/rocket/9KcUrJQlEeyfUHdcu4p9zg

Enjoy :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I wonder who taught you such things :p

However I would say that as soon as you turn on the engines the two SSSLS will blow up because of the heat generated by the stacked engines.
That's alright, we have the no heat cheat :p

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
In my opinion it looks really nice with the stripes.
Thanks.

Yeah I remember I tried a lot of complex and elaborated patterns, but in the end that was one of the most simple that gave me the most satisfaction. Even if the angled stripes required more patience.

That's alright, we have the no heat cheat :p
I've just been trolled with my own launcher o_O
That SSSLS is very popular :p

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
this could easily carry more if it wasn't for the TWR
Not really.

The problem is that if you want more TWR you have to remove some fuel. Or add more engines but then it's a different launcher. In the end if you have less fuel and more cargo your launcher will be more limited and it won't reach orbit.

The only alternative is to add more engines then, but for that setup that's practically the maximum you can do, I already pushed the concept to the limits. In practice you can still overload it though, but then you'll end on a suborbital trajectory and you'll have to spend a little fuel to finish your satellization.

Also, this is assuming you play with IRIS or realistic mode. In IRIS you need to reach 3850 m/s to be in orbit, and twice that value in realistic o_O
Now if you play in normal mode, then yes this launcher is a total waste.

Emir

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
yes, i play in realistic mode, but something i have noticed is that realistic mode doesn't seem that different to me.
i only feel like getting into orbit is hard.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
yes, i play in realistic mode, but something i have noticed is that realistic mode doesn't seem that different to me.
i only feel like getting into orbit is hard.
Umm, yeah? The surface gravity is the same, so if you don't try to go orbital it doesn't really make a difference. It's not harder to make fighter jets or something, cos that's not what SFS is about. It's harder to get to other planets/Leo, though.

Emir

Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Umm, yeah? The surface gravity is the same, so if you don't try to go orbital it doesn't really make a difference. It's not harder to make fighter jets or something, cos that's not what SFS is about. It's harder to get to other planets/Leo, though.
i was meant to say the first stage doesn't seem much different to me.