The re-entry update and why it is annoying

I know, I know, it's a new update and it adds new parts, which I have to admit I like the parts, but the re entry aspect is annoying because now for those of us who have many blueprints now have to go and update the ones that are either Landers, or will return to earth. It's even more annoying because some, and I do mean some, of us might have crafts in orbit we may want to return to earth to resupply, recover, or even just for roleplay purposes, and we have to now launch heat shields to dock with them to protect them from disintergrating

I can understand your frustration but I was just able to quickly update my blue prints. As for other spacecrafts they are a lost cause for the ones already in space.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
I actually like that it’s changing to design something capable of reentry now. One of the reasons I stopped playing a few months ago was because the game got too easy. I’ve actually started playing again now that there is some difficult to it.

Gene

Discord Staff
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
The reality is that the more this update was delayed for the more crafts would be unusable. And if it means that much to you use the no heat cheat(if you have it), its not ideal but its the only solution to your problem.

G

Ghost220819

It is quite annoying so my shuttles, as I'll have to completely redesign them and that'll take quite some time. But I do like a challenge, although the fairings on a drop pod I created today tend to overheat and explode.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I pretty like the new one since it added more realism to the game also no more starship yeets up
So yeah. Imma burn more craft than I could produce

G

Ghost220819

It is quite annoying so my shuttles, as I'll have to completely redesign them and that'll take quite some time.
The biggest design problems are protecting the engines and mounting a shield that both covers the belly of the shuttle and allows the retractable (not sure if it even can) landing gear.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
People were asking for this update for quite a lot of time. Months, years even, and they got what they asked for. Maybe not what they wanted, but at least they got what they asked for.

Maybe Stef could make the heat a little less damaging, and allow us to edit it vía planet editing.

I'm a little happy, because this update will probably reduce the number of SpaceX replicas out there, at least for a short while.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Actually it's not even the first time that an update breaks existing builds.

That can be annoying, but that's also part of the update process: if Stef has to make absolutely sure that all previous builds work the same as before, he will never make the game evolve. Adding reentry would never be possible under those conditions.

And to be honest, you can't say that you didn't see it coming, reentry has been anounced for a long time, it's been highly teased on snek peks, it was expectable that all your existing stuff wouldn't sustain reentry anymore.

I guess the best solution is to allow yourself using the "no heat" cheat for your previous builds, and take into account the new constraint for your new builds.

On my side, I like the new challenge. And how the SSSLS now self destructs by flying like crazy in the atmosphere :p
Screenshot_20211215-110132_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20211215-110138_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20211215-110141_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

People were asking for this update for quite a lot of time. Months, years even, and they got what they asked for. Maybe not what they wanted, but at least they got what they asked for.

Maybe Stef could make the heat a little less damaging, and allow us to edit it vía planet editing.

I'm a little happy, because this update will probably reduce the number of SpaceX replicas out there, at least for a short while.
Lol yeah my reusable boosters I tried to build were burned up upon reentry.

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Actually it's not even the first time that an update breaks existing builds.

That can be annoying, but that's also part of the update process: if Stef has to make absolutely sure that all previous builds work the same as before, he will never make the game evolve. Adding reentry would never be possible under those conditions.

And to be honest, you can't say that you didn't see it coming, reentry has been anounced for a long time, it's been highly teased on snek peks, it was expectable that all your existing stuff wouldn't sustain reentry anymore.

I guess the best solution is to allow yourself using the "no heat" cheat for your previous builds, and take into account the new constraint for your new builds.

On my side, I like the new challenge. And how the SSSLS now self destructs by flying like crazy in the atmosphere :p
View attachment 75723 View attachment 75724 View attachment 75725
Hey I've just recently flew a new station hub usin the SSSLS, it didn't broke. It even flew a bit higher! :p

Guess you gotta control your engines a bit now :p

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hey I've just recently flew a new station hub usin the SSSLS, it didn't broke. It even flew a bit higher! :p

Guess you gotta control your engines a bit now :p
Ha, with a good trajectory it's still fine. I made it on purpose, I rarely fly at half the orbital speed aroud 7000 meters of altitude. :p

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Ha, with a good trajectory it's still fine. I made it on purpose, I rarely fly at half the orbital speed aroud 7000 meters of altitude. :p
Meanwhile me going orbital speed going 20 metres above the ground:p

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I can't yeet with no fairings 'for now' but yeah SSSLS don't do orbit inside the thick part of atmosphere :p