Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
A lot of you know how to create planets with the planet editor, or how to edit blueprints by changing the files themselves (something I've never attempted...).

However, while these are common tools in the game of SFS, one which isn't taken advantage of nearly as much is Quicksave editing.

TtTOtW and myself deal with it mainly, as it allows a lot of flexibility, without the drawbacks of simple file sharing (ie, only one person being able to work on it at a time). The only other people I've seen doing it are SupremeDorian and Altaïr to change object locations.

That's one of quicksave editing's handier features, although it's extremely difficult to get right. The easier one, the one which I always use, which's helped me out immensely, is in taking ships from one save to another.
It's opened up worlds for me, both for factions and for being able to access my saves again... I couldn't do that now, so I just cut it down. The only thing on the save I'm using is my Titan Station and the Tenebrous, Unbound, and Radiant. Yet I still have my other ships as well, and my phone can actually run right now.

Anyway, I plan to mess around with this power a little bit (hence the thread). Also, if anyone wants to learn, I can help you along the way.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah... I have a couple things planned... If I apply Keplers law and start at Point 0 going horizontal on an orbit, I might even be able to edit a ship into a certain orbit around a certain body. For now I'm gonna be throwing something different in here though.

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
Yeah... I have a couple things planned... If I apply Keplers law and start at Point 0 going horizontal on an orbit, I might even be able to edit a ship into a certain orbit around a certain body. For now I'm gonna be throwing something different in here though.
Actually what app do you use?

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I use TextEdit on my Computer. Best software I've ever see for editing coding... Makes it so easy.

Tony

Registered
the problem with TextEdit. problems when the file is too big to resume after a change. It's an editor. simple and efficient

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
the problem with TextEdit. problems when the file is too big to resume after a change. It's an editor. simple and efficient
Yeah, that makes sense. I've never really had to edit more than 160k lines at once though, so that's probably the reason.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
I got a question. I got a large Persistant.qks file...
How can I find a specific ship that I want to edit?

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I got a question. I got a large Persistant.qks file...
How can I find a specific ship that I want to edit?
I usually use a word find and match the ship to its location and achievements. Wordfind helps with this.
For instance, my Earth station PI has the location of Earth, but has a lomg list of achievements due the to Radiant and other ships docking to it.
It helps to not have a loaded save file too.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I can understand your humor. but the problem is not the number of lines. modify a file. bp on mobile. you will understand the problem alone
Yeah, that's what TtTOtW does... There's a reason I only edit on my computer.

Tony

Registered
For it's late for me. this is my last post. when you work 8 to 9 hours a day to type code. you need a quick editor. and that's the difference between different character encodings. utf8 utg16 iso .. See you later!

Last edited by a moderator: