The Workshops

The Air Force would be so fucked though, as the pilot is the weakpoint in a modern combat fighter. Machines can think faster, see further, has more situational awareness in a dogfight and will never black out under high g combat maneuvers. An robotically controlled air superiority fighter, designed specifically for the purpose, would run circles around an F-22 Raptor, purely because the Raptor is designed at the limit of human frailties.
Well that's an irony, usually the air force is any army's best hope for winning any fight.

Same with Space. Space is utterly anathema to life. Robots would experience no more discomfort on the moon than they would in the Saraha. Or Central London. We haven't even started thinking about how to fight in space yet, all the robot would have to do is push you over in your EVA suit and the fall would break something critical and you die. Or punch the visor. And sit back and laugh as you decompress and freeze in vacuum.
Imagine a T-800 onboard the ISS. All he'd need to do is make a hole on the wall and watch the crew get blown out into orbit.
So we're stuck with the navy and ground troops. What other hope do we have?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Live off the land? What if the machines use salted earth tactics? Where they render an entire piece of land uninhabitable?
Which I wouldn't put past them doing. They've no need for the biological aspect of the planet, only the material assets. So going full USSR on the land would be not only a viable tactic, but probably standard practice.

But with the super intelligence of AI, what if they figured out the way to make portable nuclear power sources? What if they programmed their ground troops to be capable of independent decision making? I mean yeah they would be scrambled once they've lost contact with the main hive mind, but they would quickly designate a new leader within the squad and create their own smaller hivemind so they can continue fighting.
You mean like the 150yr power cells the T-800 is fitted with? And as a true AI, all the machines would be capable of sentient, fully autonomous learning and decision making, in the same way we do, but much, much faster. You'd never be able to de-centralise the command structure, as not only would every one of them know and understand every aspect of the 'plan', but be able to modify and assess the plan in real time, independently of higher command.

Well that's an irony, usually the air force is any army's best hope for winning any fight.
Yeah, air superiority is the battle winner. Ask Zee Germans how much fun it is when you've got a perfectly good army, but you don't have control of the skies and you spend your days getting pasted by Hawker Typhoons day in, day out.

So we're stuck with the navy and ground troops. What other hope do we have?
I wouldn't say it'd be plain sailing (no pun) for the navy. Modern warships are ridiculously fragile compared to WWII types. Hell, the Norwegians lost a destroyer last year because it nudged a tanker in a fjord. I remember reading an article on a discussion about re-activating the old 'Iowa' class if we had a dust up with Iran, as the US will need a tough as boots fire platform to break into the Strait of Hormuz so the Marines could land without getting wasted, and nothing is more tough, old school or has more firepower than Mighty Mo.
That doesn't mean I want to ever see someone doing a handbrake turn in one (I'm looking at you, Battleships) ever again.

Without the air superiority, the ground troops are fucked. The machines will be able to smash anything they want, any time they want, much like the US did during Desert Storm, and rendered the Iraqi military down from one of the largest and most capable in the world, to a pile of news videos of GBUs leveling buildings and the 'Highway of Death'.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
So... no hope at all? Humans just go into hiding?
New weapons. Sack ballistic off completely and go for power source, electrics, EMP, that kind of thing. They'd be easier to build than training human soldiers, but it'd be resource intensive and difficult to fabricate. Hitting them with large, non small arms like a APFSDS round from a Challenger 2 would be hilarious. Same with HESH as well. HESH wouldn't even need to penetrate to make a mess. Charlie G is really cheap, easy to fire. You could go full 1945 and arm everyone with Panzerfaust.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Pff, forget all these fancy EMPs. All you need is a Davy Crockett!
I love the mental 1950s thinking behind the Crockett.

'We're going to make tactical atomic weapons'
'"oh, this sounds fun, lets look at the manual."
*Reads blast radius and weapon range*
"Heeeeeey, the bomb is bigger than the maximum firing distance!"
'And? So will the Commies. And we'll just dig a trench to hide in before we fire it. Whats the worst that can happen?'

And there is no predicting the kinds of tech AIs can come up with. If they help us it would be awesome, who knows what we'll have within just a few years?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Hang on, I thought most military rated electronics are built resistant against EMP? Parts like glass capacitors used in deep space missions and stuff, and copper shielding.
You'd hope so. I don't think it all is though. Cost cutting would mean they would think 'does this jackal need EMP hardening? No'. But a Raptor, or the new Queen Elizabeth Carriers will very likely be hardened against it.
And also, any AI worth its circuits would recognise that weakness early on and make it priority one as a work around.

And there is no predicting the kinds of tech AIs can come up with. If they help us it would be awesome, who knows what we'll have within just a few years?
Yeah, as an 'outside' perspective, there's every possibility an AI could enhance a lot of avenues we've hit a deadend on. That assumes of course the level of free thinking the AI is capable of, as a machine by definition is very limited at outside the box thinking. It'll be very good at making better things that we have, but one inventing something completely new and never heard of (like velco), is another matter entirely.

This was the makeshift machine pistol I was working on, its still work in progress obviously (missing charging handle, trigger and stock restraint). But I kinda gave up on it.

1562204148615.png

This was the makeshift machine pistol I was working on, its still work in progress obviously (missing charging handle, trigger and stock restraint). But I kinda gave up on it.

View attachment 22491
It is an open bolt, blow back operated weapon. Chambered for 9mm Luger and modifiable to use the .22 LR or .45 ACP. Rate of fire to be between 600-800 rpm. Width: 50mm, Length: 330mm,

It has an elongated spring well to reduce the kick when firing, retractable stock for better conceal carry and comfort for in-vehicle carry/use. The magazine is double stack single feed. The threaded end of the barrel allows for self made muzzle modifications like a sound suppressor or flash hider.

The sight system changed from using a peephole iron sight, to a 3-point sight. Allowing for easier aiming.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
It is an open bolt, blow back operated weapon. Chambered for 9mm Luger and modifiable to use the .22 LR or .45 ACP. Rate of fire to be between 600-800 rpm. Width: 50mm, Length: 330mm,

It has an elongated spring well to reduce the kick when firing, retractable stock for better conceal carry and comfort for in-vehicle carry/use. The magazine is double stack single feed. The threaded end of the barrel allows for self made muzzle modifications like a sound suppressor or flash hider.

The sight system changed from using a peephole iron sight, to a 3-point sight. Allowing for easier aiming.
Looks like the old Grease Gun.

(Damn you SD, beat me to it)

If I may add some points dude. With the working and recoil control parts on the gun (bolt, springs, stock, etc), having them in perfect alignment to the barrel will reduce climb during burst fire as the weapon will want to move straight back, rather than back and then up slightly as the bolt hits the buffer. I'd make the rear sight castle slightly narrower as well, so it's easier to centralise when getting a sight picture.

Also, the further you can get the hands apart on the gun, the more stable repeated shots are, so either moving the trigger group backwards, or adding a sleeve to the barrel and a foregrip mid way down.

Other touches, like flaring the end of the magazine well so it's easier to find the hole with the next magazine and making it deeper so that touching or resting the magazine isn't going to mess with the operation of the weapon.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Well I've never shot an automatic weapon before, only a hunting rifle.
Ha, you're not missing missing much. Fully auto is fully over-rated unless it's a machine gun. Last time I fired bursts from a rifle, I only did it to annoy the staff at Brecon.
I've always said, rapid single shots are much more accurate, but that's by the by dude.
This is a sub, and should be a burp gun, not a sniper rifle.
Are you designing it on CAD? If you're simulating the bolt movement then you'll see what I mean. The current thinking for the latest LMG designs are the recoil return spring and buffer being in line with the barrel, rather than lower like it is on the SAW and minimi. They're finding that even though the newer guns are lighter (much lighter), they're moving around less because of how the force is being transferred during auto fire, particularly when using is off the bipod (standing, which is cool as shit).

I can't find links or the articles. I'll speak to some gun geek friends of mine, they'll know the manufacturers in question

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yeah, but should I go for a fire rate of 700 and above? Its tiny, around half the size of the M3 grease gun.

I am, but I'm still figuring out how to simulate it.
Depends on the engagement distance and task you have in mind for it. If it's a back up for tank crews, I'd keep it down to around 600rpm so they can actually fight across a field with it. If you're intending on using it solely indoors, then go nuts with the rate of fire and bring it up to around 800 so you can fill a corridor with good news projectiles.

This is a sub, and should be a burp gun, not a sniper rifle.
The main advantage by design of this machine pistol is its ease of manufacture with readily available parts like pipes and sheet metal, and civilian obtainable machines like a turn lathe, drill press and simple tools (files, drivers etc). So its kinda like a "desperate measures" weapon.

Depends on the engagement distance and task you have in mind for it. If it's a back up for tank crews, I'd keep it down to around 600rpm so they can actually fight across a field with it. If you're intending on using it solely indoors, then go nuts with the rate of fire and bring it up to around 800 so you can fill a corridor with good news projectiles.
Could I change a gun's fire rate by tightening or loosening the recoil spring?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
The main advantage by design of this machine pistol is its ease of manufacture with readily available parts like pipes and sheet metal, and civilian obtainable machines like a turn lathe, drill press and simple tools (files, drivers etc). So its kinda like a "desperate measures" weapon.
Aye, sort of what the grease gun was, a cheaper alternative to the Thompson, in the same was the Sten was for the British.

Could I change a gun's fire rate by tightening or loosening the recoil spring?
Possibly. Also making the bolt heavier/lighter works as well