The Workshops

Aye, sort of what the grease gun was, a cheaper alternative to the Thompson, in the same was the Sten was for the British.
I kinda gave up on the machine pistol project temporarily, I just thought it was poorly designed and needed a complete rework. So maybe I'll resume work sooner or later.

Depends on the engagement distance and task you have in mind for it. If it's a back up for tank crews, I'd keep it down to around 600rpm so they can actually fight across a field with it.
I think using a separate self-loading rifle is better for field battles.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I visit a war museum before and saw this weird heavy machine gun which had a lever for setting various fire rates. It could go as low as 100 rpm. I wanted to take it apart to find out how it works...
Some guns you can do that. The British version of the FN MAG (the Generalé), is fitted with a gas regulation system so you could alter the cyclic rate of fire from 600 to 800 rpm with a few clicks. This is called balancing the gun, and needed to be done so it fired properly. It's one of my favourite things about the GPMG, as they all have different balance settings, making each gun individual with how much attention they need to get them to sing properly.

The air mounted versions of the M2s rate of fire is electrically controlled using solenoids.

I've never heard of a method of manually slowing the bolt down on the forward stroke. The stoppages that would cause. There'd need to be some kind of brake shoe/pad, pressing through the body onto the carrier as it reciprocates.

Most guns are limited rate of fire-wise by useable accuracy and overheating. So even though an MG-42 is capable (apparently) of nearly 1200rpm cyclic, a gunner would never fire more than 100-200 rounds per minute, and can be as low as 25rpm in most cases and is down to burst sizes and breathing cycles for accuracy.

I think using a separate self-loading rifle is better for field battles.
Yeah, absolutely. In the land of the pistol chambered SMG, the rifle is king. But you'd struggle to fit an SMLE, a full length M-16, or even a 16" M4 derivative into a main battle tank. And the only thing worse than a pistol chambered SMG in a field, is the only other thing you'll fit in an MBT next to your seat.
A pistol.

Yeah, absolutely. In the land of the pistol chambered SMG, the rifle is king. But you'd struggle to fit an SMLE, a full length M-16, or even a 16" M4 derivative into a main battle tank. And the only thing worse than a pistol chambered SMG in a field, is the only other thing you'll fit in an MBT next to your seat.
A pistol.
I think I have a solution to this, by retracting the barrel to half its length asides from the conventional folding stock. The barrel can be deployed once you're out of the APC by pushing a button to release a low tension spring, the LT spring will erect the hidden barrel which will lock open onto a high tension spring.

The purpose of the low tension spring is so that the soldier won't have to painfully force the high tension spring down, plus having the barrel erect itself looks way cooler. So when they need to retract the barrel, they'll disengage the HT spring which leaves the extended barrel under the tension of the LT spring, making it easier to push back in.

However, the practicality is questionable.

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
I think I should show the rest of the forum my AR-15
BEBB6257-901E-4483-A68C-A21F8CCFB2E1.jpeg
6439892B-1C65-4EF4-B51B-F9DDB32CB8F4.jpeg

(Nothing to worry about, this thing is basically a gun-shaped paper box)

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
Wait a minute, where's the carry handle?????
I tried to make one but everything went wrong. I also tried to replace it with an EOTech holographic sight but since I made that for my grandpa (don't ask why) and he doesn't have a printer, I fuck off
PS: That was a 3-week holiday and his house was at the other side of the country so...... oof

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
I tried to make one but everything went wrong. I also tried to replace it with an EOTech holographic sight but since I made that for my grandpa (don't ask why) and he doesn't have a printer, I fuck off
PS: That was a 3-week holiday and his house was at the other side of the country so...... oof
The same thing also happens to the front sight and muzzle break. I'll give them to him next time

I like it dude. Which ends are the inlet/outlet?
This is just for demonstration for my teammates, not modeled to its final dimensions. The largest tube you see on the right-hand side of the 3d model is intended to house the solenoid.

Below is a rough sketch of a single unit. As you can see, its a very simple device.

rcs_thruster - Copy (2).jpg

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
This is just for demonstration for my teammates, not modeled to its final dimensions. The largest tube you see on the right-hand side of the 3d model is intended to house the solenoid.

Below is a rough sketch of a single unit. As you can see, its a very simple device.

View attachment 22872
Absolutely not knocking its simplicity or roughness. I like the design. Simple works. Looks like the brake actuators you get on trucks

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
What're you using to trigger the solenoid?

Apart from pictures of Trump and AR-15s...