Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I continued my braking job around the Sun, and I finally consumed my second fuel tank. This is the situation now:
Screenshot_20200805-135849_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200805-135914_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200805-135934_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

However there's a bad news: the ship doesn't brake as much as expected. I already noticed it after I burnt the first fuel tank, and the second one gave me 180 m/s less than expected. I had a margin and in theory I still have enough delta-V to do it, but if it keeps vanishing that way, there's a chance I fail in the end o_O

I couldn't figure the reason until now, I've redone my calculations, they seem correct. I've noticed that the orbit can go glitchy when I'm close to the Sun, but the only effect I noticed is that the apoapsis tended to diminish without any action from me, which should act in my favor even if the effect is low...

I'll continue, we'll see how this ends...

Jez 10

Local Expert Pinoy
ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
I would really cry by now cause I have done nothing except a failed shuttle nose...

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I think I found the problem about why my delta-V vanished! And that's not about the glitchy orbit apparently. I tried to burn retrograde at the perihelion with only my final stage, which allowed to spend 6246 m/s in a few minutes, and my speed at periapsis diminished from the expected value.

However I think I've discovered a new bug: transferring fuel while the ion engines are burning reduce their performance.
Here is a proof with this ship:
Screenshot_20200805-184210_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
By burning the content of a single fuel tank, the expected delta-V is 3178 m/s. Here, both fuel tanks are at 50% because now ion engines consume fuel from all tanks, the same as RCS do. I'm at 3148 m/s here because I only know approximately when I am at 50%.

But if I redo the flight by transfering the fuel from one tank to the other:
Screenshot_20200805-184728_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200805-185218_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I tried twice, by transfering upwards and downwards, but the result is the same: 2530 m/s. The performance has been reduced by 20% just because I transferred some fuel!

That's good to know Horus Lupercal don't transfer fuel while you use ion engines!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
That's good to know @Horus Lupercal don't transfer fuel while you use ion engines!
Wonder why that could be. Must be similar to the titan fuel transfer glitch where it messes with the consumption somehow

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Wonder why that could be. Must be similar to the titan fuel transfer glitch where it messes with the consumption somehow
Maybe that's something related... I thought it could be because during a transfer the center of mass is modified while under acceleration, which could have funny consequences in the calculations, but apparently no. Having the center of mass moving upwards or downwards doesn't change things (that's why I made 2 tests). Moreover this bug doesn't happen with a Valiant, it seems specific to ion engines. Maybe I could test with the RCS though...

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
There's another glitch that If you transfer fuel between 2 fuel tanks back and forth, suddenly both tanks are empty.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Maybe that's something related... I thought it could be because during a transfer the center of mass is modified while under acceleration, which could have funny consequences in the calculations, but apparently no. Having the center of mass moving upwards or downwards doesn't change things (that's why I made 2 tests). Moreover this bug doesn't happen with a Valiant, it seems specific to ion engines. Maybe I could test with the RCS though...
There's another glitch that If you transfer fuel between 2 fuel tanks back and forth, suddenly both tanks are empty.
Yeah, it could just be 'deleting' fuel. The weights aren't changing so the dv shouldn't change even if the CoM does. It could just be certain engines. Add that ions don't really work at the moment cos they've been shoe-horned back in

T

The Dark in the Light

I'm pretty sure that happened to me as well when I was sending stuff up to the station.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I've finished burning my side tanks:
Screenshot_20200806-215652_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200806-215706_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200806-222142_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Looks like I'm getting closer right? Don't be fooled by the scale, my apoapsis is still nearly as high as an Earth's SOI diameter o_O
And the Sun alone is nearly twice as big as the Moon orbit. The scale is really crazy there.

The good news is that I've burnt nearly two thirds of my fuel. Which only gave me 7222 m/s, while the last third is expected to give... 28676 m/s. :rolleyes:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I'm getting closer and closer to the objective:
Screenshot_20200808-213803_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200808-213814_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200808-213751_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

But this is painful. Apparently the ion engines are glitched, it often happened that I lose some delta-V (up to 500 m/s in a few minutes!), or that my fuel consumption became stupidly high (more than 100 tons of fuel consumed in a few seconds, when it was not instantaneously!). It seems that transfering the fuel is what triggers the glitch.

Anyway, I'm close to the objective now. However, what's fun is that I still haven't spent half of my delta-V, which means that if I wanted to return, I still could.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I'm close to the end now...
Screenshot_20200809-021158_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200809-021225_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200809-021303_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Now the no-return point has been reached for a long time.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I had a really rare achievement there:
Screenshot_20200809-025202_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200809-025122_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
"Descent to Low Solar Orbit" o_O

I've nearly reached my goal...
Screenshot_20200809-030126_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200809-030236_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200809-030326_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

The last stage finish burning its fuel... I'll only pass below the 1000 km mark when I'm at 5% of fuel remaining. The remaining margin was quite low... But finally:
Screenshot_20200809-031511_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200809-031533_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Mission accomplished, 4.8 tons of payload in Low Solar Orbit below 1000 km. :cool:

Now this probe won't go anywhere. It has some docking ports, so it's possible to dock a rocket to it, but if someone wants to bring back rayman, I wish him good luck :p

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
I had a really rare achievement there:
View attachment 43385 View attachment 43386
"Descent to Low Solar Orbit" o_O

I've nearly reached my goal...
View attachment 43387 View attachment 43388 View attachment 43389

The last stage finish burning its fuel... I'll only pass below the 1000 km mark when I'm at 5% of fuel remaining. The remaining margin was quite low... But finally:
View attachment 43390 View attachment 43391

Mission accomplished, 4.8 tons of payload in Low Solar Orbit below 1000 km. :cool:

Now this probe won't go anywhere. It has some docking ports, so it's possible to dock a rocket to it, but if someone wants to bring back rayman, I wish him good luck :p
Absolutely insane! You sir are a man of talent (and patience).

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Well done, Stigman! Slightly less than the smallest fuel tank... is quite an achievement!
Thanks! That's not much but that was already insane o_O
I wonder how many times I would have to do this to build a Dyson swarm..

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Glad to know that you're interested in your own post... :rolleyes:
However this is off-topic. This is a SFS challenge, If you want to talk about solar panels please create your own thread.