To Varuna and back, weighting less than 30 tons.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Okay, this mission is originally inspired by Horus Lupercal, and his 20-tons-to-crash-on-Jupiter rocket. I think the title of the thread is very self-explainable... I'm just going to build a rocket capable to land on the TNO Varuna, weighting less than 30 tons, and get back to Earth. The rocket:

Screenshot_20191205-132755.png

The voyage starts:
Screenshot_20191203-134813.png

Screenshot_20191203-135213.png

This is the upper section of my bi-staged rocket. I started burning with the Grasshopper, then flipped over and accelerated with the Ion.

Now, my method to stage:
I originally installed the grasshopper on a lower stage, and failed to reach orbit. I needed to get rid of the Grasshopper, cause, after reaching orbit, I don't need it anymore, so its just dead weight, but I couldn't add another stage, so I came up with this idea. You see the two docking ports on the chemical engine? well, I'm gonna detach them, accelerate backwards using the GHPP, and then crash them using the Ion, to break the GHPP... That's my method of staging :p

Get rid of what you don't need, you'll get far away...
Screenshot_20191203-135245.png

So, the path to Varuna was VEEGA, obviously:
Screenshot_20191204-144823.png

I must mention my original destination was Pluto, but as you can see, Pluto is not on the right position. Correcting the course to get to Pluto would have costed valuable fuel, something I don't have... Varuna, on the other hand, was right on my way, so I changed the destination...
Screenshot_20191204-145444.png

Screenshot_20191204-145828.png

We are here! Now for the return part...
Burn to get an encounter with Earth from Varuna directly was just too expensive in terms of fuel... So I decided to burn for Jupiter instead, and use a Jupiter gravity assistance to aim to Earth..
Screenshot_20191204-151039.png

A Happy Landing :)
Screenshot_20191206-003635.png

Screenshot_20191206-003648.png

Mission Completed
Screenshot_20191204-151638.png

Attachments

T

TtTOtW

Okay, this mission is originally inspired by Horus Lupercal, and his 20-tons-to-crash-on-Jupiter rocket. I think the title of the thread is very self-explainable... I'm just going to build a rocket capable to land on the TNO Varuna, weighting less than 30 tons, and get back to Earth. The rocket:

View attachment 29954

The voyage starts:
View attachment 29956

View attachment 29955
This is the upper section of my bi-staged rocket. I started burning with the Grasshopper, then flipped over and accelerated with the Ion.

Now, my method to stage:
I originally installed the grasshopper on a lower stage, and failed to reach orbit. I needed to get rid of the Grasshopper, cause, after reaching orbit, I don't need it anymore, so its just dead weight, but I couldn't add another stage, so I came up with this idea. You see the two docking ports on the chemical engine? well, I'm gonna detach them, accelerate backwards using the GHPP, and then crash them using the Ion, to break the GHPP... That's my method of staging :p

View attachment 29957

View attachment 29959
I must mention my original destination was Pluto, but as you can see, Pluto is not on the right position. Correcting the course to get to Pluto would have costed valuable fuel, something I don't have... Varuna, on the other hand, was right on my way, so I changed the destination...
View attachment 29960

View attachment 29961

Burn to get an encounter with Earth from Varuna directly was just too expensive in terms of fuel... So I decided to burn for Jupiter instead, and use a Jupiter gravity assistance to aim to Earth..
View attachment 29962

View attachment 29963

View attachment 29964

Mission Completed
View attachment 29965
Man Varuna is weird!

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered

View attachment 29954

The voyage starts:
View attachment 29956

View attachment 29955

Now, my method to stage:

View attachment 29957

View attachment 29959
View attachment 29960

View attachment 29961

View attachment 29962

View attachment 29963

View attachment 29964

Mission Completed
View attachment 29965
Congrats, you are the first person to land on Varuna!
Now that Varuna has a moon, i'm gonna make It and send it to you, just for you to make a sequel:
"Varuna, its moon, and Back, with less than 50 tons."

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Congrats, you are the first person to land on Varuna!
Now that Varuna has a moon, i'm gonna make It and send it to you, just for you to make a sequel:
"Varuna, its moon, and Back, with less than 50 tons."
Cool! But 50? When I landed I had enough fuel for a small, Low gravity Moon. So why not use the same rocket!