Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Here is an idea I had a while ago... What if we built some really massive rockets...

Obviously, there is bp-editing for this. But you're too lazy to go into this? No problem! I made a blueprint with all sorts of very large parts for you:
01-Kit Ultra Large Parts.jpg
You can't do everything you want with 12 wide parts? Now you have access to up to 20 wide large parts: fuel tanks, separators and fairings! I've also included tiny fuel tanks as they are quite popular. Duplicate the parts you want to build your massive launcher, and discard the rest.
Note that this is at most a light form of cheating, as properties of parts are scaled up as well.

However, your build space is limited, and whatever you do, you may encounter some problems to send really massive payloads... For this reason, I also designed a heavy launcher to satellize your heaviest cargos. And by heavy, I mean really heavy:
02-SSSLS.jpg

Let me introduce the SSSLS: Super Stiggy Space Launch System!

Here is what the blueprint looks like:
03-SSSLS bp.jpg
The launcher is intentionally moved under the build space, so that you can fully use it to build your payload. The uppest part of the launcher is still accessible to let you customize it (to remove the probes, to fit a larger fuel tank, to clip some fairings, and so on...).
I've made another variant that includes the ultra large parts kit with it:
04-SSSLS + parts bp.jpg

The SSSLS has been carefully designed and optimized to make your life easy:
  • Can carry 1000 tons and even more to orbit
  • All engines are turned on by default; when you spawn it on the launchpad, you don't have to light all 24 engines.
  • Some probes are included in the launcher to give it a decent torque, though it's highly advised to add your own probes/capsules to the payload
  • The only staging operation you'll have to perform is the booster separation, to let you focus on your flight technique
  • The boosters has been placed reasonably far from the core to minimize the risk of collision upon separation
You can use it as you wish for your craziest builds (please give credit ;)), but please don't use it for challenges. Unless a challenge explicitely allows it, this launcher is to be banned from the challenge section! Otherwise it would litterally kill all "Heaviest payload to XXX" challenges and probably others.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Just for the fun, here is a demonstration of the SSSLS' capabilities. Tested with a 1350 tons payload, which is its maximal capacity.
Overall, those are nearly 5000 tons on the launchpad:
05-Demo1.jpg

Lift-off!
06-Demo2.jpg 07-Demo3.jpg 08-Demo4.jpg

Then, the critical step, booster separation:
09-Demo5.jpg
Before separation, simply be careful to first align the heading of the rocket with the direction in which it's moving, to avoid that the air resistance makes one of your booster smash back the rocket. If properly done you can see that there is very little risk.

Finally, orbit!
10-Demo6.jpg
0.4% of remaining fuel... :oops:
But that's with 1350 tons of payload. For a payload of 1000 tons of slightly above, the rocket is easy to fly.

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
But how did you managed to put that whole thing below the bp area?
Bp editing step by step?

T

TtTOtW

Bp editing step by step?
Doing that was impossible in 1.4. But, moving stuff UP was super easy. Now it's a per-piece job. But, you have full control over where what is... It's tough. But awesome.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Bp editing step by step?
It's bp-edited indeed. The game normally doesn't let you do that. I built normally the booster and the core, then I changed manually the position of every part. That's quite a tough job, but the hardest part was still to design a huge launcher that would actually fly efficiently without the possibility to test it, and then to calculate by how much I had to offset each part of the launcher.

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Here's a tiny part pack too, if anyone wants it. It has tanks, a cone, a probe, and a docking port.
Screenshot_20200621-121105.png

Attachments

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
It's bp-edited indeed. The game normally doesn't let you do that. I built normally the booster and the core, then I changed manually the position of every part. That's quite a tough job, but the hardest part was still to design a huge launcher that would actually fly efficiently without the possibility to test it, and then to calculate by how much I had to offset each part of the launcher.
for some reason I can't launch an enterprise part that weights 700 tonnes without running out of fuel

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
for some reason I can't launch an enterprise part that weights 700 tonnes without running out of fuel
The problem could be with your flying technique. Normally 700 tons are a piece of cake with that launcher, I could launch up to 1350 tons. If you fly straight up before bending your trajectory, that's the problem. You have to bend your trajectory soon enough to gain as much horizontal speed as possible. Don't worry too much about flying at high speed through the atmosphere.
You can take example on the demonstration I made:
Ultra large parts + heavy launcher: the SSSLS

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
700 tons? Hang on. I thought you were lifting payloads in the quarter millions of tons...? And throwing multiple SSSLS into low solar orbit...?

How is 700 tons, less than half of a well designed launchers capacity, troubling you?

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
The problem could be with your flying technique. Normally 700 tons are a piece of cake with that launcher, I could launch up to 1350 tons. If you fly straight up before bending your trajectory, that's the problem. You have to bend your trajectory soon enough to gain as much horizontal speed as possible. Don't worry too much about flying at high speed through the atmosphere.
You can take example on the demonstration I made:
Ultra large parts + heavy launcher: the SSSLS
yeah probably is
because i follow the degere thing that changes
700 tons? Hang on. I thought you were lifting payloads in the quarter millions of tons...? And throwing multiple SSSLS into low solar orbit...?

How is 700 tons, less than half of a well designed launchers capacity, troubling you?
that launcher that could do that
can't go to the moon on 0.1% power
because it'll shoot past the moon
and i'm launching parts for my moon base

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered

I'm calling bullshit. I'm not sure why you have to lie, but if you're gonna make wild and outlandish claims atleast make them semi-realistic.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
yeah probably is
because i follow the degere thing that change
You can bend your trajectory more than what you're told. I did a test with 750 tons:
Screenshot_20210412-174617_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-174640_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-174650_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-174707_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-174713_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-174734_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-174738_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-174749_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-174800_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-174833_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-174919_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

See, I can reach orbit with a lot of fuel to spare, there's no problem. Try to follow a similar trajectory, and it should be easy.

Please stop with that launcher. You've already derailed one thread, that's enough.

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
You can bend your trajectory more than what you're told. I did a test with 750 tons:
View attachment 60506 View attachment 60507 View attachment 60508 View attachment 60509 View attachment 60510 View attachment 60511 View attachment 60512 View attachment 60513 View attachment 60514 View attachment 60515 View attachment 60516

See, I can reach orbit with a lot of fuel to spare, there's no problem. Try to follow a similar trajectory, and it should be easy.

Please stop with that launcher. You've already derailed one thread, that's enough.
Thanks
but unlike in your test with 750 tonnes the part i'm trying to launch is very unareodynamic
because even 20 wide fairings aren't big enough to encase this part

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Thanks
but unlike in your test with 750 tonnes the part i'm trying to launch is very unareodynamic
because even 20 wide fairings aren't big enough to encase this part
Even like that I can easily reach orbit:
Screenshot_20210412-182921_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
If your payload has the aerodynamism of a backhoe loader, I would usually tell you to fix your payload, but even in this case it should be fine.

Look, even by launching straight up I still manage to do it:
Screenshot_20210412-183837_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-183918_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-183956_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210412-184217_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

I don't know how you proceed, but there's definitely something you're doing wrong there.

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Morality: Newbies don't need a bigger launcher. Newbies need to learn. :rolleyes: