Unfair comparison post on FB (can't think of a better title lol)

T

TtTOtW

The memer was a bit of an arsehole. no appreciation for the work that goes into building a space mission. I'm sure the Indians who did the work has the highest respect for the Americans and Russians, and even the Chinese. They'd never support nonsense like that.

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
Tbh if we make the comparison fair and only count the latest NASA's Mars mission (InSight, 2020 rover haven't been launched yet) then the rate will be 100% too

Elon literally said that fuels are pretty cheap in one of his old presentation about Starship (I think it was in 2016 or 2018)
Reference 2.png

According to this, RP-1 cost $93.87 per gallon, that gives us $30.61 per kg.

About UDMH, according to Astronautix:
The price in 1959 for tank-car quantities was under $ 1.00 per kg. Engineering studies indicated a price of $ 1.00 per kg with large scale sustained production. But due to its toxic nature, production and transport costs soared in response to environmental regulations. By the 1980's NASA was paying $ 24.00 per kg.
Converted for inflation, it will get us $80.54 per kg.

So they are saying that India who only has 1 mission that was a success is way superior to NASA with 27 missions (As I remember)
smh I wonder how many people are gonna fall for this
Success shouldn’t be measured by absolute percentages like the original meme did, but rather by the 95% confidence interval of what the likely success rate is. This problem is similar to Amazon product reviews, and how a “3 reviews of 5 stars” is worth less than 10,000 reviews of 4.5 stars.

The math (statistics) was worked out about 100 years ago and you can read more about it here:

How Not To Sort By Average Rating

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Success shouldn’t be measured by absolute percentages like the original meme did, but rather by the 95% confidence interval of what the likely success rate is. This problem is similar to Amazon product reviews, and how a “3 reviews of 5 stars” is worth less than 10,000 reviews of 4.5 stars.

The math (statistics) was worked out about 100 years ago and you can read more about it here:

How Not To Sort By Average Rating
Do you suggest that people that post memes on Facebook should do that kind of maths instead??? o_O

That's interesting, but still not accurate for space missions. This is ok to rate Amazon products that are all strictly similar, but there's no one Mars mission that is similar to another one. The first missions failed by lack of experience and knowledge, and the following missions eventually succeeded thanks to the experience gathered from the first missions. Take Mars Climate Orbiter for example, that was lost because of an imperial/metric units system confusion. If we rebuilt it exactly the same, it would be a guaranteed fail. However, Mars 2020 is very different from Mars Climate Orbiter, and the americans learned the hard way not to use the imperial system, and not to skip important test phases to save a little money. The failure of Mars Climate Orbiter doesn't reduce the probability of success of Mars 2020. On the contrary, the engineers learnt from their mistakes.

By the way, several nations are sending probes to Mars now. And guess who is not sending anything? Oh yes, Europe too (RIP ExoMars :(). But also... India! Maybe that's the reason behind such a post...

Wow, it was only a meme

I’m guessing it was crafted in the spirt of hopeful lighthearted pride for the future of the Indian space program and not meant for computational peer review

Even following on the heels of NASA it’s impressive they succeeded with their first mission even if it was a matter of luck which all Mars missions depend on regardless of who’s at task, so gods’ blessed good job India hope you have many more meme worthy missions and some good science too

So how’s the Chinese rocket going?
Seems underreported in my neighborhood, that ground penetrating radar thing seems like it should be the biggest deal in the current Mars window

Last edited:
So how’s the Chinese rocket going?
Seems underreported in my neighborhood, that ground penetrating radar thing seems like it should be the biggest deal in the current Mars window
I don't think anyone's in the mood to hear any more shit from China, ever since the Corona and Hong Kong fuckshow

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Unless one of their rocket falls from my country's capital.......

plus road to 100k subscriber of confirmed cases here....

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Not really, China is not just number one. They are public enemy number one. That means everyone is reporting on them.

Having me in it isn't gonna change much.
welp unless they invades us welp i'm screwed :D :D :D

Jryeem

Man on the Moon
Registered
I think US is still the no. 1 in terms of spaceflight, there's so many launches plus interplanetary and legendary rovers and landers like viking 1, oppy(my battery is low and its getting dark"oppy"-2019), curiosity, insight, voyegers, new horizon, HST, Pioneers, cassini, Galileo, juno and there is alot more!!!!!!!!!! So we cannot compare it and say oh we have one mars mission and say we are the best, we are one of THE best!
be proud to be a human. Be proud that we live in this time that we have the "oppy" to see all of these milestones!

For all thing I am team space anyone is no nation in space there is no boundaries in space we are ☝ One. "We are going as a species".

Thanks
It took me about an hour to just write this phew.

Sorry for english faults i am a philipino.

Mars Pathfinder

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I think US is still the no. 1 in terms of spaceflight, there's so many launches plus interplanetary and legendary rovers and landers like viking 1, oppy(my battery is low and its getting dark"oppy"-2019), curiosity, insight, voyegers, new horizon, HST, Pioneers, cassini, Galileo, juno and there is alot more!!!!!!!!!! So we cannot compare it and say oh we have one mars mission and say we are the best, we are one of THE best!
be proud to be a human. Be proud that we live in this time that we have the "oppy" to see all of these milestones!

For all thing I am team space anyone is no nation in space there is no boundaries in space we are ☝ One. "We are going as a species".

Thanks
It took me about an hour to just write this phew.

Sorry for english faults i am a philipino.
its ok........ Pepito Mah Friend i mean its all right :D :D :D

I don't think anyone's in the mood to hear any more shit from China, ever since the Corona and Hong Kong fuckshow
The US adopted the Corona for its own and turned it into quite a fuck show, China and the rest of East Asia managed that quite well and I don’t think a Mars lander qualifies as shit in any language, flinging poo never settled anything

The US adopted the Corona for its own and turned it into quite a fuck show, China and the rest of East Asia managed that quite well and I don’t think a Mars lander qualifies as shit in any language, flinging poo never settled anything
Oh and one more thing.

This? Is just a meme. Relax jolly. Stay jolly.

Jokes aside. I'm as interested as anyone to see the wikipedia mars missions list expand.