Venus Land and Return

How many models I do not know, quite the endeavor handling the Venusian wind;
Here’s a few pics I happen to have from the evolutionary path

33C7D41E-9ED0-429B-916C-3C867ECF9CA3.png

The original lander, the blunt base proved impossibly unstable in the lower atmosphere
18A92525-7D39-458D-8A59-266DDB508BA2.png

I didn’t take a full pic of the final lander coming in, here’s the beta, it was short a few parachutes so I reduced the ‘aerobalancers’ for some more protected space along with bit of a fuselage stretch
64D30982-55CE-42C9-9AD8-F1C92AA4C2A6.png

And so, the final lander and launch vehicle
4CD5095E-1049-48A5-9BD4-167B16E5CBB7.png

The main heat shield took some doing,
No room for landing legs,
I had a few ugly iterations of small shields making a spearhead with structural parts that more or less worked
BD5B5347-3A91-4AA9-A4F6-D63394C7AEBD.jpeg

Originally I had a separator between the engines and the shield, but the residual faring blocked the engines so I couldn’t activate them;
This configuration also protects the engines from blowback when the fairing is dropped but adds another step in a hurried situation

And so, final mission…of innumerable

After several passes through the upper atmosphere, starting at a 24km entry
1641B382-1385-40FB-8648-146E540EBA43.png

I bottom out at 20.2 and rise in a false escape to 28.8 before going in for the final plunge;
It doesn’t always work out like that and doesn’t seem to matter for the peak temperature…just don’t go deeper than 24km to start with this vehicle
A96AF447-529E-49FB-B685-7CD1D0E5BDBE.png

Keeping zoomed in on the balancers is good,
Things get dicey at 15km, hold on while heat starts to dump;
This is a long time, be ready to make steady
5BCE7D3C-F129-4EAD-88B9-49EE96253FF7.png

Have maneuver thrust prepared,
It’s only moments from safe cooldown to 2,500m-250m/s…and a lot of parachutes;
Deploy chutes, recheck and deploy missed chutes…hurry down and drop shield fairing, and engine support shield…
Start engines, find ground, get bearing, lateral maneuvering
8B328047-2030-4260-AC80-95A574AC9919.png

Make those parachutes disappear!
B21274EC-03A2-4C66-8EEE-F279B3D5F18B.png

It’s actually stable, wind is favorable
9C766A7E-77AC-4651-895E-BD6ECBD8C706.png

After all this time I’m happily surprised my return vehicle is more than adequate
0E5DCA53-1BB4-4CC0-9BC9-7454D0938C3E.png
44F99A29-0B9C-4880-A4E7-53DA6E880DCB.png

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hey Roger, how are you? It's nice to see you back!
Cool mission, I'll have to try that too.

MasterOgon

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I wanted to do this mission too. I wanted the lander to look like the rockets of the ancient Anunnaki aliens from the myths that were talked about on the History channel. But at the same time, it should be practical and at least a little reusable. Venus is most suitable for this, in the role of the second Earth. This problem with stability, which was mentioned here, prompted an idea. Here's what I got
Screenshot_20230313-133020.png
Screenshot_20230313-133047.png
Screenshot_20230313-133135.png
Screenshot_20230313-122253.png
Screenshot_20230313-123420.png
Screenshot_20230313-123711.png
Screenshot_20230313-123937.png
Screenshot_20230313-124339.png
Screenshot_20230313-124347.png
Screenshot_20230313-130242.png
Screenshot_20230313-130741.png
Screenshot_20230313-130759.png
Screenshot_20230313-130805.png

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Oops, wrong pic

was actually 22.0km bounce on the final mission, got a previous bounce mixed in
View attachment 83351
Didn't noticed this thread last year but dang I was able to utilized this style in Christmas.

Guess you've experienced the messy imbalance during descent.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I wanted to do this mission too. I wanted the lander to look like the rockets of the ancient Anunnaki aliens from the myths that were talked about on the History channel. But at the same time, it should be practical and at least a little reusable. Venus is most suitable for this, in the role of the second Earth. This problem with stability, which was mentioned here, prompted an idea. Here's what I got
This one is very beautiful - a masterpiece!

I made this mission after setting "density": 0.285 in Venus data file first, which made Venus's atmospheric density closer to real one, instead of default settings in the game, which make atmosphere of Venus more than 11 times weaker than real one. And i did this mission at Realistic level of game difficulty.

That was a real fun! My huge rocket-lander had only two parachutes and still landed with super low speed near the ground, like i am swimming/sinking instead of falling. And when i was taking off i couldn't gain any acceleration at low altitude, thus i made first stage overloaded, it started with lowest TWR possible, because i needed to slowly dig out first, to altitudes with lower density, before i can start acceleration. I even considered to make thrust lower than 100% temrorarly to not waste fuel while i am still too low (when some fuel was burned after start and TWR increased), but gaining orbit was successful on 100% thrust already, since i took a little extra fuel for any case.

So i strongly recommend to everyone this variation - it is much more fun, try it. You can set "density": 0.285 in Venus.txt file even at Normal game difficulty level. Also you can perform this mission in IRIS game world under Android - it already has correct density in Venus.txt data file and at the same time makes world bigger as substitute for Normal level of difficulty, so gameplay in IRIS world at Normal level of difficulty is close to gameplay in generic world at Realistic.

MasterOgon

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Interesting, I did not know. For my goals, I was enough for me enough as I needed a second land. But extreme conditions are also very interesting. Imagine this slowly floating huge rocket. Unfortunately, I do not know how to install these files and fashion. If for this you need a computer, I will hardly do this.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
You already have them installed. But to access these files you need to buy Jupiter expansion in mobile version of SFS.

After Jupiter dlc is payed for SFS allows to change world data files. You need a fixed copy of default world (link) and then you can just open Venus.txt file in your android device from game folder with copy of the world and edit density value in that txt file. And start new world, but picking another Solar system for this world - your edited copy.

But editing anything in the Example folder of default game world will not work - game always restore files in this folder to original settings.

Or simply place IRIS folder in your game folder with custom game worlds and then you can start new world in game and change solar system to IRIS instead of default.

Also you can simply transfer all your quicksaves from default game world to new game world with edited Venus data file and continue playing there like nothing changed at all - all your progress and ships in the world will remain.

But transfers of quicksaves between worlds will work correctly only for worlds of the same size, so from Default Normal to Default Normal, from Default Realistic to Default Realistic, or from IRIS Normal to IRIS Normal. But not between Normal and Realistic and not between Default and IRIS.

MasterOgon

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Thanks. I have all extensions except textures. I downloaded these files to my phone but for some reason I can't edit them. Only open with an HTML viewer. Maybe I don’t understand something, but my programming level is not far from zero

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
txt files can be opened and edited on any mobile device. Maybe you just need to pick/choose the app for opening txt files, or install new app, which will perform this editing action, maybe there is jut not a single app assigned for this and thus you can't open any file in edit mode.

MasterOgon

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
txt files can be opened and edited on any mobile device. Maybe you just need to pick/choose the app for opening txt files, or install new app, which will perform this editing action, maybe there is jut not a single app assigned for this and thus you can't open any file in edit mode.
Thank you, I already learned